“A great experience for a penguin lover...”
Review of Stuttgart

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Washington, DC
5 helpful votes
“A great experience for a penguin lover...”
Reviewed May 7, 2009

Stuttgart was a very lovely and relaxing place to take a trip. We went in April of 2009 and had a blast. The city is not a huge tourist area, so there were not many tourist spots to go to, but it still has several museums, an extensive shopping area, great restaurants and very friendly people. I would highly recommend the Mercedes Museum (even if you do not like cars) and the Wilhelma Zoo. The zoo here has an option to have a private meeting with a few of there animals. We chose to meet with the penguins and were allowed to go into the exhibit to pet and feed the penguins along with their keeper who share a lot of information about them. I really like penguins, so for me this was a very memorable experience. There are several large park areas and lots of places to just stroll around. We did a lot of walking in this city. There is also some fairly decent night-life in the area, especially on the weekends. Overall, this was a wonderful city to spend time in.

Singapore
2 helpful votes
“First German city I have travelled”
Reviewed January 9, 2008

Dec 2007. My trip to Stuttgart was made during Winter time, about -8 to -4C. The first thing I learnt about Germany was the train system which was extremely complicated. One advise I can provide, if you are visiting Germany the first time, is to do some checking on the internet about the transit system in the travel location before stepping into Germany. You may check out with the information counter at the train stations, however, the service level will normally be just average.
In Germany, the train system is called the "Bahn". There are 2 main types of trains: ICE (InterCity Express) and the RE (RegionalExpress). ICE, from it's name, allows you to travel between cities (such as from Frankfurt to Stuttgart). RE allows you to travel within a region, such as the Baden-Wuttenburg.
Arriving Stuttgart main train station, called the "Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof", you should walk across the street and on the left, you should see a travel center. Seek out for a Stuttgart city map and there is a walking trail in the city that you can follow. That, I believe is the best way to see the city of Stuttgart. Please be noted that a good walk of about 6-8 hours is expected.
In the city walk, you should see the New Palace, the Old Palace and the SchlossPlatz. If you are in Stuttgart on a Saturday, do not miss out the Flea market that is right next to SchlossPlatz. Along the way, you will see many of the interesting streets and shops.
The Mercedes Benz Museum is also a place that you should not miss if you are in Stuttgart. Be prepared to spend about 6 hours in the Museum. It is a museum that does it not only tells you about Mercedes and it's car engines but also historical events in Germany that has help shaped Mercedes to today's success. And do you know what how Mercedes got it's name? I will keep it a secret for now. You may write to my blog pages and I will give you more insights to it.
If you are looking out gifts for your peers and friends, I would suggest beers, white wines (Riesling) and chocolates. Of course, you can go for the branded stuffs like Mont Blanc or Picard too. If you are a hardcore redwine fellow, I will recommend the Pinot Noir.
For some pictures of Stuttgart, you may visit my websites as follows:
[--], look for Jonathan Wong
[--]

2 Thank Jonathan17w
Essex
3 helpful votes
“Stuttgart Beerfest”
Reviewed October 17, 2007

This year for the fourth time l went to Stuttgart with a bunch of mates for the 2007 October-fest. This is one of the best beer fests in Germany, but its not just a great town for the fest it has many other great things to see and do.

You can spend all day in their great museums, art galleries, parks, television tower, football stadium.

On Sundays no retails shops open, however the centre of town is packed with people, families and couples out walking, sitting in the parks, sitting in cafes, the city is warm and friendly.

Travelling around is so easy, the U-barn is cheap to use with a weekend ticket costing E9.50, can also be used on the buses, what ever your choose of transport you will find it very clean and safe.

l use the Hotel Hansa, this is very well priced, single room for two nights cost E118 with breakfast, a great deal, and just a 10 minute walk to the centre of town..

1 Thank fireclem
boston
3 helpful votes
“Best Place I visited in Germany”
Reviewed September 9, 2007

I absolutely loved Stuttgart. I spent nearly a month there and enjoyed every minute of it. I had beautiful weather when I went there (June- July) and that probably made the best of it.

Overall the people are incredibly friendly and spoke English which was a huge help. Night life was great (that's what I enjoyed the most there). Shopping was really fun too, although nothing crazy, mostly just department stores. It is neat to shop in different countries though. I went to the Mercedes-Benz factory and got the tour there. I also went to the Porsche museum, although it is not very impressive, if you are a car person it is a must see.

Overall I really enjoyed the layout of the city, especially Koenigstrasse.

3 Thank foles524
Sheffield, United Kingdom
90 helpful votes
“Kunstmuseum Stuttgart and other viewpoints”
Reviewed February 4, 2007

I just want to mention the Kunstmuseum in Stuttgart. It houses the new modern art collection (not to be confused with the Staatsgalerie modern art collection). The building is of interest in itself. We didn't get time to visit the Art collection, but it's worth going into the building and going up the steps at the side to get a wonderful view over the surrounding area. You don't have to pay to get into the building itself. It's impossible to miss it - it occupies a central position and looks like a large square cube of glass.
Other places you can get a good view from are the Television Mast - out of the central area and commanding a great view over the surrounding countryside. If you go on the organised bus tour, you can get entry to the television mast as part of the tour if you don't want to make the trip separately, and
The main railway station - you can get a lift up the tower (again, a landmark you can't miss) and have a good view.
Each of these three views gives you a different aspect of the city.

Been to Stuttgart? Share your experiences!