“Solid 3 star but far from a 4 star.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Wyndham Stuttgart Airport Messe
Ranked #18 of 149 Hotels in Stuttgart
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Solid 3 star but far from a 4 star.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

I stayed for 4 nights the week before and was disappointed in the service (or lack thereof), especially since Priceline lists it as a 4 star - yeah right! I loathed to come back but had left some suitcases and boxes there that I needed to retrieve before flying out. When I arrived there was only one guy working the desk - I had to lug 10 heavy boxes and suitcases around by myself while searching out my room since they don't have a bell hop. Currently I'm sitting in the restaurant going on 15 minutes now while I write this review and have not even had a single waiter or anyone else acknowledge me. I paid $260 and that doesn't include breakfast or wifi! My last stay the elevator broke and we had to lug our suitcases up the stairs. We notified the staff but they didn't care. I just flagged down a waiter (there are a lot of guests in the restaurant) and he told me they closed at 10:30 - not very helpful for a weary traveler to not be able to get any food! I'm done with this place.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Carola S, Manager at Wyndham Stuttgart Airport Messe, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear JustinS5,

thank you for your rating.

I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed about our service. I apologize that nobody has asked you if you would like to have something to drink or eat while the restaurant was still open.

It is correct that we do not have a bell boy. I hope you were able to take advantage of our luggage car to make the transport a bit easier. However, during peak times there should be more than one staff member at the front desk and they will be happy to assist.

We do hope that we can welcome you at our hotel again and that we can convince you about our good service.

Reservations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

I'd recommend this hotel if you plan on flying into STR late or out of early. The hotel is across from the terminal which travellers can walk to and from.

The rooms are renovated and feature "seductive" artwork above the headboard. Otherwise the room, not sure which I was given but there was a lot of space between the bed and the window, is sparsely furnished which feels cleaner and doesn't date it so much. The floors are laminate in the rooms which add to a cleaner feel.

The internet is more than adequate. My partner was able to stream his entire football match with no buffering issues. I did not pay for WiFi as it was included with my Expedia rate. Otherwise the charge is €15 and only applicable to a single device.

The restaurant was packed the evening of arrival as well as breakfast the following morning. Guests were taking plates at the bar or at the sitting areas in the lobby. If you arrive early enough take dinner at the airport. The Burger King, better than USA, is open a bit past 21 and there were several travelers there past 20:55 and continuing to stop at BK. For breakfast the giftshop/sandwich shop on arrivals hall is rather good and more affordable than the hotel restaurant.

Water pressure was more than adequate. The tub is a bit high and remnant from the previous occupants (Movenpick) otherwise the bathroom is really clean and features Rituals products. The large rectangular tiles from floor to ceiling give the space a modern feel.

The fifth floor is nice and gives views of the surround area. I didn't hear the air traffic in the morning unless I opened the window. Just know that there is only one elevator so it can be a wait to get anywhere in the morning rush to check out.

Parking isn't free and should be paid at the hotel otherwise be ready for steep rates.

Room Tip: 5th floor away from elevators. I think I had 575
Dear EliteStatus,

thank you very much for the good rating and the time you took to write the detailed comment.

We are pleased that you liked the style of our rooms and bathrooms.
Thank you for mentioning the great location of our hotel - only 200 m to walk to the terminal.
As we have sound proofed windows our guests are not disturbed by airplane noise.

We hope that we can welcome you at our hotel very soon again.

vancouver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

November 24, 2013:
BOOKING: I booked this hotel for its location and seemingly good price. A few drop down arrows online were stuck/greyed out so with this faulty system we used the phone to book the hotel for two single rooms, under two separate names for a special TOTAL rate 139euro. That still seemed clear on check in. On check out I was charged 278 euro! I had given myself plenty of time to check out because check in was so painfully slow. But despite agreements and explanations and without access to a manager (I had another 2 hours before needing to leave the hotel), there was simply no one around to refund me. I was told to write an email! Well, my first email (addressed to 3 managers) was never responded to. So I started calling weekly in December. None of my 3 calls were returned, as I had been promised AND one time I was put on hold until I couldn't hold the phone any longer. After three weeks, I wrote another email. 4 weeks after my stay I finally got a 'sorry we can't do anything or refund you' letter. So that lands me here, with my review and warning to others!

ACTUAL CHECK IN EXPERIENCE: With two persons the front desk upon check-in, it still took 20 minutes to get to the counter check in. Everyone around was annoyed and the front desk clerks were not at ease and moreover not apologetic.

CHECK OUT EXPERIENCE: With ONE person working the front desk at 5am there was again a line up as many flights leave early. I am glad I had a book with me, and I wasn't running late.

COMPUTER ROOM: Don't go unless you need a real blast from the past and don't mind dusty computers with viruses.

ROOMS: Good, big, quiet. Beautiful Bathrooms.

RESTAURANT EXPERIENCE: The service was average, but the food and drinks were excellent. What could be a sexy classy space was interrupted as a 4 year old child was running around the bar knocking things over and yelling with excitement, for most of the hour we sat there.

*Mostly pained by: I was over charged by DOUBLE despite their advertised special! And there is no recourse or consideration or return of this money after 2 months (not yet!)

Room Tip: Leave plenty of time for check in and check out. ALSO! Should you book a room there over the phone...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank melaVancouver
Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

Like most people, this was a stop over taking advantage of their parking deal. With an exhibition on at the Messe, all rates are variable which means trying to get a good Internet deal - price vary by 2X otherwise.
Room was large, but only half full - seemed to be missing a second double bed or couch. Two TVs. Last occupant had left the heating on 30C. Overall, too hot and too much noise. Easy walk to the terminal though.
Food and service in the restuarant was mixed. Starters good but main courses were poor. It was a busy evening.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SAPStar
Carola S, Manager at Wyndham Stuttgart Airport Messe, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear SAP Star,

thank you for your rating and the time you took to write the comment.

We are sorry that you didn't feel comfortable in the room. Please feel free to ask if there is a different room available next time. If possible we are happy to help you move.

I will forward your feedback to our restaurant.

We hope that we can welcome you at our hotel soon again when you take advantage of our great location.

Sticklepath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one short night to be close to catch early flight next day. You can walk from your room to check-in in a few minutes. Hotel renamed and freshly decorated. Nice and quiet even close to airport, windows even open. Room and beds very comfortable. Too short a time to check restaurant. Would stay again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Carola S, Manager at Wyndham Stuttgart Airport Messe, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear GFM_59,

thank you very much for the good rating and the time you took to write the comment.

We are pleased that you liked the new style of our hotel and that you mentioned the great location of our hotel.

We hope that we can welcome you soon again.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

This is a great hotel for early departures or stranded passengers. It is only steps away from the airport. The hotel is modern and clean. Our room was comfortable and we slept well. Even this close to the airport, it is very quiet. The price makes the hotel a good value.
There was some confusion about the wifi...I booked a room that included it but the hotel didn't honor it. Their standard price for wifi is expensive.
It is expensive to eat at the hotel restaurant or at the airport. We made a picnic with groceries from a little convenience store inside the airport.
The staff was friendly.

Dear celusnek,

thank you for your good rating and the time you took to write the comment.

We appreciate that you mentioned the great location of our hotel.
Due to the sound proofed windows it is very quiet although we are just 200 m away from the airport.

In order to offer high security standards with our Wifi we maintain our internet on a regular basis. Therefore we charge EUR 15.00 for 24 h for internet access in the room.

We hope that we can welcome you at our hotel soon again.

Belgrade, Serbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed in this hotel during Blechexpo exhibition, and i picked it because the price was moderate (for location) and location was right across the main entrance to the exhibition grounds.

4-star establishment closer to the airport building is still called Movenpick, but their old 3-star building across the street is for last couple of years called Windham. It has a new owner, has received a lick of fresh paint, and was fixed up where needed. I stayed in it 4 years ago (while it was still called 3-star Movenpick), and i can say that it is now far better than it used to be. Entrance area, restaurant and some other things were completely redone, while rooms and some other things received just a selective but mostly well aimed treatment.

Lobby is now very cozy with a fireplace and tranquil seating area where you can kick back and leaf through coffee-table books stacked on shelves around the area. Front desk staff is very helpful.
Restaurant and bar are good and have their own vibe. They do not suffer from usual bland appearance that is so common for hotel bars even in very good hotels.

I was in room 365. Room itself was quite spacious, but judging by the floor plan it was one of the smaller ones?! If you care about these things feel free to use the attached floor plan to pick the biggest room, but there is simply no need for that.

Room had a properly stacked minibar. Above it, inside the same furniture element was a tray with water cooker and complementary tea and instant coffee. In place where this tray was set, there was a big round hole on the wooden panel, but electric socket was missing!! In other words i had to move the whole tray to the table in the room to plug in the water cooker. For this i had to disconnect the charger&speaker for the iPod/iPhone. If i was a person that uses iThingies i would have been severely annoyed by this.

TV was large enough and well positioned. Bed was a double that could probably be separated into two single beds - and there was plenty of space in the room to do so. Wardrobe had enough space and hangers in it for a several days of stay. In it was also a safety box. Room also had a full height mirror right next to the entrance door - so you can take a final look before you storm out.
Everything was perfectly clean.

Bathroom was showing that new owner didn't apply full makeover of the establishment. It was clean, had new-looking tiles, plenty of (properly clean) towels, and it was on general up to the 4-star expectation. It had a magnifying back lit mirror, hairdryer, good quality liquid soap, but...

Toilet seat was flimsy, askew, and missing a few rubber bumpers. Glass shield on the bathtub was attached using stainless steel bars that were siliconed into place in haste by someone who is not skilled in this kind of job. Water from shower was able to drip below the glass, between the splattered layers of silicone, and down to the floor.
Bathtub had an anti-slip area on it in the shape of hotel logo, but it was positioned too much to the side behind the glass, so it was of no help when you try to get out of the tub. To make it even worse, curvature of the bottom of the tub is just ideal for slipping on exit. Fortunately there is a towel rack which you can hold on to with one hand to steady yourself... if you are 180cm or higher - otherwise it will be to high for the final landing. You can of course hold on to the thick glass, but that brings with it a whole different set of risks - especially considering how badly it is attached there.

In a bad hotel i'll be quite happy if i don't see any bugs running around, or get a strange looking rash from the sheets.
I know i'm splitting hairs on these bathroom details, but in a good hotel (like this one) i expect that details are also taken care of.

Internet was a kind of pay-to-play cloud WiFi which worked quite ok.

Hotel doesn't have garage. Parking is available on the back of hotel and it is run by Apcoa, but you can pay for it at hotel. However, i was disappointed to learn that a 5 day Apcoa ticket issued by hotel doesn't work in any other Apcoa parking/garage which seems quite unfair considering the price of it and the fact that if you're trying to use it in one place means that you're not parked in the other - and it's the same company. But that's Germany for you: you have to pay even for the air if you plan to inhale it more than once.

Overall i was quite satisfied with my 5 or 6 day stay in this hotel, and if you're attending some exhibition at Stuttgart Messe - this is probably your best choice.

Room Tip: Both sides of hotel are exposed to noise of aircraft taking off, but it is so well insulated that yo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Carola S, Manager at Wyndham Stuttgart Airport Messe, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear Mr. Markovic,

thank you very much for the good and detailed rating as well as the time you took to write the comment.

We are pleased to hear that you liked the new style of the Wyndham Stuttgart Airport Messe.
We would also like to say thank you for the constructive feedback about the room and bathroom. We will have a closer look at this room again.

We hope that we can welcome you at our hotel very soon again.
Maybe next time you would like to take advantage of our Wyndham Rewards Programme where you can earn points for free night stays or collect airmiles or payback points. As a Wyndham Reward Member you also get free upgrades to the next higher room category.

Reservation Manager