“Comfortable and friendly hotel”

Althoff Hotel Am Schlossgarten
Ranked #3 of 147 Hotels in Stuttgart
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Comfortable and friendly hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2011

I stayed at the Hotel Am Schlossgarten for 4 nights on a business trip and really enjoyed my stay. All the staff were super friendly and went out of their way to help and make the stay as enjoyable as possible. The hotel is in an excellent central location just opposite the railway station and around the corner from the Koningstrasse, the main shopping street.

My room was very large and homely (214). The bed was extremely comfortable and I was provided with a huge menu of pillows to chose from. Bathroom was also very large with a huge walk-in shower and twin sinks - it all felt very new and of high standard. The room also had a walk-in dressing room and wardrobe.

I only had breakfast one morning but was again impressed by the quantity and quality of food. Next time I will certainly make more effort to get up for breakfast!

Only one complaint really - the bath towels were a little small and not quite as luxurious as i would have expected for a hotel of this standard - it felt as through they had been through the laundry too many times! Please, get some big fluffy towels!

Finally, the Christmas market was open during my stay and was such a nice way to spend the evening and it was only 5 minutes walk from the hotel. Make sure you go and visit and have a mug of gluhwein :)

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a view over the park.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
hotelschlossgarten, Manager at Althoff Hotel Am Schlossgarten, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Dear badger36

Thank you very much for staying with us and for sharing your comments. I am always happy to receive such positive feedback and forwarded it to our staff.

Please let me tell you that we are about to change our towels completely step by step, so we will provide new ones when you stay with us the next time.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back!

Sending our best regards

Werner Braun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

Stayed at the Schlossgarten hotel for a week during the early part of November. This was my 4th stay here and in 2010 the hotel was being rennovated. The upgrade is finished and what you have now is a beautiful, stylish with quality rooms. Mine was facing the shopping area, and the room was large, comfortable and modern.
The location is outstanding. You are opposite the railway station and just around the corner from the Koningstrasse, the main shopping street. Underneath the hotel is (free) parking for guests.
The only 'negative' I had during my stay was that several times a day, someone from housekeeping would stop by to check my room. At one point, the person gave me no time to walk to the door, and entered before I could answer, plus another time they basically didn't bother waiting to hear if anyone was in the room and just entered.
A minor complaint, but it is wise to lock up your valuables just in case.
Apart from that, I highly reccomend this hotel.

Tips: breakfast buffet at the hotel is nice but expensive. For a cheaper alternative, the cafe attached to the hotel opens at 8am and serves coffee and smaller plates . Or, go to the Koningstrasse and find a cafe.
The Galleria department store has one of the best food sections. Go to the lower floor, towards the end and stock up on chocolates.
Early/mid November the Wintertraum market opens nearby. A great place for a beer & brat, and mingle with the locals. The Christmas market opens late November. On Saturdays there is a typical European market by both the town hall and the Market Platz.
Enjoy Stuttgart!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the park are quieter, but you will still hear the odd drunken idiot some nights
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Ukaus123
Dear Ukaus123

Thank you for your very kind feedback. We are happy when we know our guests are content.

Please accept my personal apologies for the disturbances from our housekeeping. We take your comment as a reason for another training with our team members. Please be assured that it is not neccessary to lock up any valuables. I can and I do stand surety for every single employee of our hotel.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Althoff Hotel am Schlossgarten.

Sending my best wishes

Villaga, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2011

I stayed at the Althoff Hotel am Schlossgarten for three nights bridging the gap between moving out of my Stuttgart apartment and moving to another country. I had a single room, for 120 EUR per night (breakfast not included). I chose this hotel for its great location in the city center, and because they allow pets for a nominal extra fee (9 EUR surcharge, whereas most Stuttgart hotels charge 15-25 EUR per night for pets), and their website boasts a fitness center. Upon check-in I learned they do not in fact have a fitness center, but will provide day passes to a neighboring gym. Which is okay, but struck me as slightly misleading.
The service at the hotel was consistently impeccable. Starting with several email exchanges I had inquiring about available rooms and rates, check-in reception, maid service, bar/restaurant waitstaff, etc, etc, I never had an unpleasant encounter (rare in Germany, where customer service is not generally a strong point).
My room was comfortable, albeit compact. The facilities are elegantly antiquated, the bed extra plush, water pressure is strong in the shower, a complimentary bottle of mineral water is provided daily and satellite TV offers English language news stations. My only complaint about the room itself was that mine was a hotbox, despite my heater turned off (I stayed here in November), there was definitely heat pumping into the room and a lot of it. I had to leave the window open to maintain a tolerable temperature.
The hotels Vinothek has a disappointing selection of wines - several German varieties, but I am not a German wine drinker; only a half dozen or so international wines and all at extremely bloated prices (Barbera d'Asti is 9,10 EUR per glass, for example). The bar off the hotel lobby has similar offerings for equally discouraging prices.
Overall, I found this hotel a comfortable and convenient base from which to enjoy Stuttgart's city center, but I would not rate it exceptional in any way. The prices of many of their services rival that of much higher-end competitors. I would recommend this hotel if you can secure an economical rate (as I feel my own 120 EUR per night for a single room in the city center was), but if you are willing and able to pay for 5-star accommodation, you will probably receive more spacious accommodations and more plentiful amenities elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Dear SBrady

Thank you for your mainly positive comments regarding your stay in our hotel.

I am really sorry for the technical problem regarding the central heating. We already have organized a little staff training, so all receptionists and duty managers will be able to fix smaller disfunctions soon, even if our technicians are not on duty an longer.

Your point regarding the offsite fitness studio is the big issues of a 1960es building - nobody thought of having such things at those time, and we still have not found another solution but the cooperation with the Fitness Company.

Please be informed that we certainly have bigger rooms as well for just a little surcharge. I am happy to take the time for a little showaround when you stay with us the next time.

Sending our best regards

Mumbai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2011

I didn't know this hotel was part of one of those luxurious Althoff hotel collection - I always thought that the Althoff chain was always about turning European castles into luxurious hotels. Anyway the reason for that is that the Am Schlossgarten is modern rather than ye olde.

When you draw up to the hotel, you think what's with the Schloss (castle) and Garten (garden) in its name - you don't see either. In fact there was scaffolding around, as it was being renovated. If you get a room with a view, you get the idea why it's called the Schlossgarten. Anyway, when I checked in, the rooms were not ready. So after a long intercontinental flight, we would have to cool our heels at the reception for our rooms. But luckily as it was a group booking and my friend was already staying at the hotel, I could use his room. My room was not bad at all. It was functional without being too pretty or flamboyant - yet it was luxurious. The quality of everything inside was top notch and it was overall very comfortable. The restaurant overlooks the garden and it is a terrific place to have dinner. However, the key thing about the hotel is that it fits all three aspects of a good business hotel - location, location, location. You won't go wrong with this place - just get them to give you your room as soon as you check-in, that's all.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a schlossgarten view!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank srinik69
Dana Point, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2011

One of the most important reasons I booked this hotel was its location across the street from the main train station, because my daugher and I were traveling by train. You can reach the hotel through an underground passage via escalators on both sides of the street. The hotel is located at the beginning of an enormous pedestrian shopping area, which makes it very convenient. The hotel's rooms were renovated in 2010 and the results are terrific. Our rooms were in the superior class. They were quite large, with a sofa, chair and desk at one end and the bed at the other. The bed and linens were very comfortable. Our rooms had two large windows looking out on a beautiful park and the hills of Stuttgart, which is a very pretty city. The rooms had mini-bars, robes and slippers, large flat-screen TVs and safes. WiFi was available for a fee of $15.00 per day. It is always annoying to pay for such a necessity as WiFi. The only thing missing was a coffee maker or electric kettle for hot beverages, which I've come to expect in every hotel. The bathrooms were not large but were very modern and well-equipped. Others have commented on the poor air-conditioning, and I would agree that it is inadequate. It was impossible to get my room, 309, or my daughter's room, 409, cool enough. Fortunately,we could open the windows. The breakfast buffet had a lot of variety and was good, and the attendants were efficient. I was particularly impressed with the helpful, friendly reception staff. There is a cafe in the hotel that serves light meals and snacks, which was very nice. We did not have dinner in the hotel's dining room so cannot comment on it. I would definitely return to this hotel if I visited Stuttgart again.

Room Tip: Rooms 309 and 409, on the west side of the hotel, have views of a park and the hills of the city.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank travelingbarb2-2
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

The Hotel Am Schlossgarten is a small jewel near the train station, the Konigstrasse shopping area, and the beautiful Schlossgarten park. My junior suite did not have much of a view, but I was informed in advance. I opted for the room amenities instead. Very spacious, beautiful bathroom, flat screen tv, comfortable bed and seating area. Offers room service, restaurant, and late night bar. Very accommodating staff, for fee internet. Other reviews nixed the pillows and they are lacking if you prefer a firm pillow.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ron56Tulsa
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

For business or pleasure, this is a very pleasant hotel. Good amenities, nice staff and a fantastic restaurant. You can have the option of the bar, upstairs restaurant or their terrace restaurant - depending on the weather.

Service was excellent and location great. One could be in the city centre in a few minutes or at the S-Bahn to take the train to/from airport in 3 minutes.

Although this is listed as a '5*' hotel, it doesn't have a pool or fitness room. However, so often I come across hotels that get 'two stars' just having these, but their restaurant and/or rooms don't match the status.

I'd delighted to say that without the obligatory fitness room, this hotel excels in all areas.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the park
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank AvidIrishReader
hotelschlossgarten, Manager at Althoff Hotel Am Schlossgarten, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Dear AvidIrishReader,

Thank you very much for the comments regarding your stay with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

We really regret that we can provide no pool or more fitness facilities than the jogging path in the park or the Fitness Studio not on property, but in walking distance. Please be assured that
we are looking for space for those on property for ages, and are very happy for proposals.

But we are happy that you have enjoyed your stay, and I shared your comments with the entire team, who I am certain is encouraged by your remarks.

We are very much looking forward to your next stay with us.

Sending our best regards,