Althoff Hotel Am Schlossgarten
Ranked #4 of 146 Hotels in Stuttgart
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I stayed at the Althoff Hotel am Schlossgarten for three nights bridging the gap between moving out of my Stuttgart apartment and moving to another country. I had a single room, for 120 EUR per night (breakfast not included). I chose this hotel for its great location in the city center, and because they allow pets for a nominal extra fee (9 EUR surcharge, whereas most Stuttgart hotels charge 15-25 EUR per night for pets), and their website boasts a fitness center. Upon check-in I learned they do not in fact have a fitness center, but will provide day passes to a neighboring gym. Which is okay, but struck me as slightly misleading.
The service at the hotel was consistently impeccable. Starting with several email exchanges I had inquiring about available rooms and rates, check-in reception, maid service, bar/restaurant waitstaff, etc, etc, I never had an unpleasant encounter (rare in Germany, where customer service is not generally a strong point).
My room was comfortable, albeit compact. The facilities are elegantly antiquated, the bed extra plush, water pressure is strong in the shower, a complimentary bottle of mineral water is provided daily and satellite TV offers English language news stations. My only complaint about the room itself was that mine was a hotbox, despite my heater turned off (I stayed here in November), there was definitely heat pumping into the room and a lot of it. I had to leave the window open to maintain a tolerable temperature.
The hotels Vinothek has a disappointing selection of wines - several German varieties, but I am not a German wine drinker; only a half dozen or so international wines and all at extremely bloated prices (Barbera d'Asti is 9,10 EUR per glass, for example). The bar off the hotel lobby has similar offerings for equally discouraging prices.
Overall, I found this hotel a comfortable and convenient base from which to enjoy Stuttgart's city center, but I would not rate it exceptional in any way. The prices of many of their services rival that of much higher-end competitors. I would recommend this hotel if you can secure an economical rate (as I feel my own 120 EUR per night for a single room in the city center was), but if you are willing and able to pay for 5-star accommodation, you will probably receive more spacious accommodations and more plentiful amenities elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
hotelschlossgarten, Manager at Althoff Hotel Am Schlossgarten, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2011

Dear SBrady

Thank you for your mainly positive comments regarding your stay in our hotel.

I am really sorry for the technical problem regarding the central heating. We already have organized a little staff training, so all receptionists and duty managers will be able to fix smaller disfunctions soon, even if our technicians are not on duty an longer.

Your point regarding the offsite fitness studio is the big issues of a 1960es building - nobody thought of having such things at those time, and we still have not found another solution but the cooperation with the Fitness Company.

Please be informed that we certainly have bigger rooms as well for just a little surcharge. I am happy to take the time for a little showaround when you stay with us the next time.

Sending our best regards

Reviewed November 6, 2011

I didn't know this hotel was part of one of those luxurious Althoff hotel collection - I always thought that the Althoff chain was always about turning European castles into luxurious hotels. Anyway the reason for that is that the Am Schlossgarten is modern rather than ye olde.

When you draw up to the hotel, you think what's with the Schloss (castle) and Garten (garden) in its name - you don't see either. In fact there was scaffolding around, as it was being renovated. If you get a room with a view, you get the idea why it's called the Schlossgarten. Anyway, when I checked in, the rooms were not ready. So after a long intercontinental flight, we would have to cool our heels at the reception for our rooms. But luckily as it was a group booking and my friend was already staying at the hotel, I could use his room. My room was not bad at all. It was functional without being too pretty or flamboyant - yet it was luxurious. The quality of everything inside was top notch and it was overall very comfortable. The restaurant overlooks the garden and it is a terrific place to have dinner. However, the key thing about the hotel is that it fits all three aspects of a good business hotel - location, location, location. You won't go wrong with this place - just get them to give you your room as soon as you check-in, that's all.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a schlossgarten view!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank srinik69
Reviewed October 15, 2011

One of the most important reasons I booked this hotel was its location across the street from the main train station, because my daugher and I were traveling by train. You can reach the hotel through an underground passage via escalators on both sides of the street. The hotel is located at the beginning of an enormous pedestrian shopping area, which makes it very convenient. The hotel's rooms were renovated in 2010 and the results are terrific. Our rooms were in the superior class. They were quite large, with a sofa, chair and desk at one end and the bed at the other. The bed and linens were very comfortable. Our rooms had two large windows looking out on a beautiful park and the hills of Stuttgart, which is a very pretty city. The rooms had mini-bars, robes and slippers, large flat-screen TVs and safes. WiFi was available for a fee of $15.00 per day. It is always annoying to pay for such a necessity as WiFi. The only thing missing was a coffee maker or electric kettle for hot beverages, which I've come to expect in every hotel. The bathrooms were not large but were very modern and well-equipped. Others have commented on the poor air-conditioning, and I would agree that it is inadequate. It was impossible to get my room, 309, or my daughter's room, 409, cool enough. Fortunately,we could open the windows. The breakfast buffet had a lot of variety and was good, and the attendants were efficient. I was particularly impressed with the helpful, friendly reception staff. There is a cafe in the hotel that serves light meals and snacks, which was very nice. We did not have dinner in the hotel's dining room so cannot comment on it. I would definitely return to this hotel if I visited Stuttgart again.

Room Tip: Rooms 309 and 409, on the west side of the hotel, have views of a park and the hills of the city.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank travelingbarb2-2
Reviewed October 13, 2011

The Hotel Am Schlossgarten is a small jewel near the train station, the Konigstrasse shopping area, and the beautiful Schlossgarten park. My junior suite did not have much of a view, but I was informed in advance. I opted for the room amenities instead. Very spacious, beautiful bathroom, flat screen tv, comfortable bed and seating area. Offers room service, restaurant, and late night bar. Very accommodating staff, for fee internet. Other reviews nixed the pillows and they are lacking if you prefer a firm pillow.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ron56Tulsa
Reviewed October 2, 2011

For business or pleasure, this is a very pleasant hotel. Good amenities, nice staff and a fantastic restaurant. You can have the option of the bar, upstairs restaurant or their terrace restaurant - depending on the weather.

Service was excellent and location great. One could be in the city centre in a few minutes or at the S-Bahn to take the train to/from airport in 3 minutes.

Although this is listed as a '5*' hotel, it doesn't have a pool or fitness room. However, so often I come across hotels that get 'two stars' just having these, but their restaurant and/or rooms don't match the status.

I'd delighted to say that without the obligatory fitness room, this hotel excels in all areas.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the park
1  Thank AvidIrishReader
hotelschlossgarten, Manager at Althoff Hotel Am Schlossgarten, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2011

Dear AvidIrishReader,

Thank you very much for the comments regarding your stay with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

We really regret that we can provide no pool or more fitness facilities than the jogging path in the park or the Fitness Studio not on property, but in walking distance. Please be assured that
we are looking for space for those on property for ages, and are very happy for proposals.

But we are happy that you have enjoyed your stay, and I shared your comments with the entire team, who I am certain is encouraged by your remarks.

We are very much looking forward to your next stay with us.

Sending our best regards,

Reviewed September 30, 2011

This hotel is situated just a few hundred yards from the main Railway, S-Bahn U-Bahn station making it ideally situated for getting around the city

The reception is dimly lit - but the staff are very friendly and efficient

My double room was quite small and - having arrived in the middle of a September "heatwave" - was extremely hot and the air conditioning did a very poor job of cooling it down

The room had everything I needed (although the in room safe is too small for an iPad and there is no tea/coffee making facility) - English speakers please be aware that the Internet TV has a very limited number of English speaking channels ... you'd better like watching 24 hour news!

Please note that wi-fi is available in your room ... for an expensive €27 per day!

I'd arrived fairly late and had a quick stroll down the nearby (comprehensive) shopping area - but could find nowhere to get a meal or a drink - so I returned to the hotel to find myself the only person in the bar ... a quick beer and then back to the room for the efficient (but very expensive) room service.

2  Thank LloydyG

Dear LloydyG,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay with us. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations fully, please allow me to express my sincerest apologies for your experiences.

When we have refurbished our rooms in the last months, some air conditioning devices have been installed incorrectly. We are about to fix that issue room by room, but this heat wave has surprised everyone of us.

We are about to change the technical conditions to be able to provide a bigger selection of TV channels and hope to be able to show some English speaking entertainment channels soon.

It is a pity we get to know about your internet charge only now. You seem to have “booked” the double flat rate for both, WiFi and PayTV. Please contact us and refer to this reply, we will credit the difference back to your credit card.

We like to thank you for your positive comments for our room service and reception staff, which I have shared with them.

Please be assured that we make all possible dispositions to provide you a better experience when you stay with us the next time.

Sending our best regards,

Reviewed September 21, 2011

Rating:
It gets a strong 4.
I really wanted to give this hotel a 5 as the staff (front desk in particular) is so amazingly friendly and service orientated!

But, I found the bed way to hard and the pillows lacked substance + the A/C is not efficient or silent enough. Also, one of my biggest pet peeves is when they not only charge for Internet, but by machine...
There were also a few things not working in the rooms such as the sliding doors, 1 of the curtains, the bedframe was slightly broken (pinched my finger).
But the room is very spacious, incredibly quiet, freshly decorated, great layout and storage + Internet is stable and fast.

From my experiences in Stuttgart this really IS the hotel to stay in. And for those of you hesitating in between Schlossgarten and the Steigenberger please know that the Schlossgarten is definitely in a class of it´s in by comparison!

Hotel:
A not too big hotel in the center of Stuttgart. It's totally redone this past year in a perfect location

Room:
We stayed in room 905 which is their so called Opera Suite.
It's located on the top floor so very private, quiet and with a great view over the city. It has 2 balconies which must be lovely if the weather is agreeable!
The room itself is very large and has a well planned layout. Great storage for both clothes and luggage.
The bathroom is very spacious and has both a jacuzzi and a sauna + a freestanding shower! There is also a 2nd small bathroom fo guests which is very neat. The water pressure plus heat were great! They also had nice Penhaligons and L' Occitane amenities.
Our Internet was definately not free, but it's a fast and very stable wifi.

Staff:
Very pleasant and helpful! Had a lovely and smooth check-in. Everyone in the hotel are smiley and ready to assist!

Internet:
It has wifi which is fast and stable! Too bad it's not free aswell.....

Food:
There are 3 restaurants: The Cafe, Vinotheka (meditteranian cuisine) + the one that has 1 Michelin star (can´t remember the name right now). We were very happy with Vinotheka!. The café is also nice, but don´t go there if you´re ina hurry...

Location:
Righ in the centre of Stuttgart. Pretty much directly opposite from the train station and right next to Konigsstrasse which is the main pedestrian/shopping street in town. Also right next to a park which seemed popular with dog owners and runners.

Dear Asta72,

Thank you for sharing your experiences during your stay with us in this very kind way.

I am personally sorry for your bad experience with the technical failures in your room. We have
ordered a replacement part for the curtain motor, which shall be working properly as soon as it
is installed. The air conditioning is maintained regularly, we hope it to be less noisy when you
stay with us the next time. We tried to find a happy medium for the softness (or hardness) of
our mattresses, please let us know when you plan your next stay with us so we can prepare your bed accordingly. We are also happy to provide a bigger selection of pillows.
I have to admit that the entire team is proud on your comments and compliments regarding
our friendliness and service orientation.

We are very much looking forward to your next visit in our hotel and are sending our warmest
regards,