“No complaints, good stay”

Althoff Hotel Am Schlossgarten
Ranked #4 of 146 Hotels in Stuttgart
Helsinki, Finland
“No complaints, good stay”
Reviewed May 5, 2011

Stayed here unexpectedly as I wanted to change my original hotel during my trip. From the get go Am Schlossgarten convinced me that I made the right choice. I went to the desk early morning around nine and asked for a room for two nights. I was promptly quoted an ok price rate and the best thing was the room was ready to be checked in, which I found exceptional so I was able to change clothes and take a shower and leave my luggage there.

When I came back from the day out in town, the room had been newly cleaned (it was clean when I checked in) and slippers and a bathrobe had been arranged to my room.
the room itself is cosy and there is air conditioning. Bathroom is ok size and clean. The room has separate inner door so there is very little noise coming in from the adjacent bathrooms or the corridor. Also the windows seem to be very well soundproofed. There was no disturbing noises during the nights even though it was a weekend.

The staff is excellent and I found the lounge bar reasonably priced for a hotel of this class.

Only complaint is the internet is very pricey which is a bit disappointing for such business hotel, should be free or at least half the price as it is standard feature nowadays. Also the hotel safe instructs to enter a user coin but I found out no coin is needed to lock the safe.

In general the location is excellent, right across the train station but I still felt safe going to the hotel later in the evenings.

Room Tip: Looking towards the office building behind.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank jarmake

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Dublin
Reviewed April 27, 2011

A great Hotel - located opposite the main train station and beside the Schlosspark.
Shops, restaurants all close by.
Excellent service, very helpful reception staff. Lovely ,old fashioned room.Well equipped bathroom.
We went to visit the Mercedes and Porsche Museums. Both tours were in English and they are both most interesting.
A lovely city and a great Hotel.
Diti from Dublin

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Diti
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed April 11, 2011

hotel Am Schlossgarten is a lovely place to stay at any time. They came to our rescue when we were stuck in a bad hotel. We asked them to find a room for us, as we understood they were booked completely. We waited in their lobby and with in 10 minutes they had us a room in their hotel for the whole week. We had not expected this, but were happy and surprised. We hurried back to Hotel Unger,{see my review} packed quickly and came back expecting to drop luggage off, but were told our room was ready another surprise. Then we were ushered to a room that was even better then we hoped, a corner room with views of Schlossgart and the plaza views from the other and a balcony.
These people went above and beyond to help us and then did not stick us in a tiny room by the A/c, but in one of the best rooms in the hotel. If you have a chance to stay here take it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank nezzief
Brentwood, NH
Reviewed January 17, 2011

Very Nice hotel...not old but not new. The fact that rooms are a bit dated is outweighed by the fact that the hotel is well maintained. No better location for downtown...next to subway and shopping is right out the front door. Excellent breakfast and a great staff.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank jayh-7
Bangalore
Reviewed January 7, 2011

The one thing that stands out in favor of the hotel is its location. Right opposite the main railway station and adjacent to the main shopping area and in the city downtown, hard to better. There are also plenty of dining options in the vicinity.
The service is pretty decent, nothing that stands out.
The room that I stayed in looked straight out of the 70's and requires a serious makeover to make it more comfortable for the business traveler.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Praks_blr
Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 15, 2010

We were in Stuttgart to visit the Christmas markets in Stuttgart, Ludwigsburg and Esslingen. We chose the Hotel am Schlossgarten because of its proximity to the train station, the palace square and Christmas market. The Koningstrasse location was perfect. The hotel is directly across from the train station, but you would never know it. The trains run underground and there is NO noise from passing trains. The hotel has the Koningstrasse shopping street on one side and the gardens with a view of the opera house and museums on the other side. We had a park view room, and were very happy with it. The park and view of the hillside were lovely. Our room was exceptionally large for a European hotel room. We were very pleasantly surprised. We had a king bedroom with a large sitting area (couch, lounge chair, coffeetable, desk), a large closet with in-room safe, and a lovely chandalier. The windows overlooking the park were large and could be opened to enjoy the crisp air or take photos of the light snow that fell while we were there. The black-out curtains worked so well we lost track of time in the morning. The bed was a little firm, but very comforatble. The bathroom was well appointed and the lighting was exceptionally good. The staff at the hotel was extremely friendly, very helpful, and spoke excellent English. We expected to experience language barrier issue (since we don't speak German) but we had none. Overall, we throughly enjoyed our week at the Hotel am Schlossgarten. We would definitely stay here again, and highly recommend it to other travelers.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MyZiggyMan
San Francisco
Reviewed November 11, 2010

The hotel is in a fabulous location, with a beautiful park on one side and world class shopping on the other with a pedestrian walkway through the historic center. And right next to the controversial train station, so easy to arrive by train from anywhere in Europe. The rooms are the usual small European size, nothing special, but very comfortable and clean. The service is what stands out - from the front desk to the cleaning people to the restaurant. Everyone is trained to please the visitor. In fact, I left my pants in my room, sent an email from back home asking whether they had found them and they mailed them to me by DHL, without cost and a gracious letter. A friend in Paris, who is German, told me that Stuttgart is a place where food is important and this hotel has the best restaurant in town. I did not have an opportunity to eat there, and it is expensive (I think there were many course meals at about 60-95 Euros). There is also a less expensive restaurant and a very nice attached coffee shop with lighter fare. Compared to what I had to pay for a hotel in Paris, this place was well worth the cost and I would definitely stay here again if I find myself in Stuttgart. The only negative was the very high cost of the hi speed in room internet - 27 euros for 24 hours - but it did work well.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business