“Dissapointing stay”

Ranked #40 of 146 Hotels in Stuttgart
Dorset
“Dissapointing stay”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Having read the reviews and looked at the hotels site we felt confident that we would enjoy our stay however we did not. The main reasons are: 1. The hotel is on the main road where trams are running constantly and they are very loud 2. Our room had a balcony that was a communal one resulting in us needing to lock our door at night when it was extremely hot with no A/C 3. Our bed linen had holes in them 4. The shower flooded with water going all over the bathroom floor (when we complained they did eventually come up and the person proceeded to pull hair out of the sink which made us feel sick!) 5. The hair dryer cut out after a couple of minutes as it constantly overheated 6. We ordered a coffee in our room for breakfast and a small cup was brought up - we asked if we could get a jug of coffee which they did however when we settled the bill they charged us for 10 cups of coffee for each jug! 7. The hotel breads fish and whist nice to see the fish there is a smell in the evening. On a positive the hotel is nice if you like a classic cosy historical look and the staff were generally very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
annapolis
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Last October (2012), three colleagues where on a business trip to Stuttgart for 3 weeks and we wanted to stay as close to the City Center without breaking the bank. The room rates we received were well within our travel per diem, and compared to some of the other quotes I received, I would say it was the best. I have very little negative things to say about this boutique hotel and IMHO, 5 star restaurant (it was the best restaurant we ate at in over 3 weeks of sampling over 15+ trip advisor, google, and locally recommended restaurants).

I must first tell you, the wood work is something I have never seen in my short life in this hotel. I have seen something close in Japan, but the meticulous attention to detail with each carving is the lobby, and restaurant area is worth checking out even if you are not staying here.

The reception and check in is first class. They carried my bags up the long stairwell to my room. The rooms have a classically decorated with an "antique" feel but does not feel like I am at my Grandma's house. The color scheme and furniture work, and it reminds me of a Ritz Hotel feel (but this is real furniture vs the lacquered new antique look of Ritz type hotel).

I had excellent Wi-Fi reception to my room, which I used extensively for Skype back to the US on my iPhone (e.g., free calls!)

The bathrooms have been remodeled with smart-modern looking fixtures (expect nothing less from the Germans=)) and there was even a small radio built into the wall w/ speakers. Plenty of hot, clean water and a bathtub to DIE for that had at least 8+ jets for a Jacuzzi adventure if that is your thing...

Views out the windows are the only downside unless your room is facing the courtyard and the AMAZING Koi (fish) which are HUGE!!! My next door neighbors have a small Koi pond in their backyard and these Koi are absolutely beautiful. They even have a pretty good sized aquarium (filled with Koi) that faces the backside of the hotel restaurant that you can see (with the right seat) when you are eating!

The breakfast is 1st class and prepared every morning. They have an attention to detail with the service and the presentation of the food that really impressed me for a hotel that is located where it is (e.g., not in a prime real estate area). Switching to location real quick, there is a stop for U train about 10 yards from the front door step of the hotel (so yes, if you want a lil adventure, you can link this all the way to the airport...we did!!!)

Parking is an adventure sometimes only because space is a premium in Stuttgart and everyone does the best they can with the space they have been allocated. The owner personally helped us park in their secure/gated garage.

Ok, to put things into perspective, I ate at the restaurant during my 3 week visit about 4 times. You usually need reservations, as the locals KNOW this is the place to go. It is a little pricey also, but WELL worth it. They have a STOCKPILE of some of the best wine in the region because they also own a Wine Store down the street! I have been to Michelin rated restaurants and based on the service, presentation, quality of the food, wine, spirits and overall experience, I would have no problem with someone giving this restaurant and 2-3 star Michelin rating...no problem at all. It was hands down, the best restaurant experience (consistently too), we had while touring Stuttgart, other areas of Germany and Switzerland.

The only drawbacks of this gem (I don't see it as one but I could see how others would) is the location but that also keeps this place kind of a secret, and not your regular "annoying" tourists (if you travel a lot...you know what I mean). They are walking distance to the City Center and the beer gardens/shopping/etc... It's quiet, cozy and if you don't stay here...at least visit the restaurant and see the Koi=))

Room Tip: Book the rooms on the backside of the hotel that have the walkout balcony that overlook the small Ko...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank latu190
Salem, New Hampshire
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Everything about the hotel was quite enjoyable. Everyone was very nice and helpful. There was a little confusion when we checked in (booked on booking.com) but no problems; they figured it out and got us in. Parking was tight but, again, they figured it out. The room was very comfortable and clean. The decor is vintage yet not old; the furniture (hotel, rooms, restaurant) was in very nice condition. It was actually a good mix of vintage and contemporary (mostly vintage). Breakfasts were good with excellent coffee. We didn't eat at the restaurant for dinner during our stay but it was always crowded so I assume it was good. They have what would probably be a beautiful terrace in the summer with a very nice coi pond. The location wasn't the best. It is on a fairly busy road, however, we didn't hear any road noise. Overall, I would definitely recommend Hotel Wörtz.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rob B
Frankfurt
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed here for two nights to visit friends. The hotel is well located, handy to downtown and very close to the Ubahn stop. It's on a busy street, but the double windows kept street noise out. Our room was beautiful, with carved wood furnishings and one of the most comfortable beds I've slept on in Europe. The jetted tub was a very appreciated bonus on the Valentine's Day weekend! We didn't get to eat in the restaurant (although the menu looked delicious!) but breakfast was excellent- the usual spread of cold cuts, cheeses and breads with eggs cooked fresh to order. All of the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. It was a peaceful and romantic retreat. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FrankfurtJames
Essex
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Due to a delayed flight we arrived late well after the designated latest check in time, but rang the hotel who told us no problem. A pleasant greeting on arrival and shown to our room on 3rd floor. This was at front of hotel above the tramway but the double windows were so efficient that we were not disturbed by any road noise. The room was very warm and although we turned all temperatur controls down to zero we ended up opening the window to cool the room.
Breakfast is extra at 10 Euros but wide choice - cereal , fresh fruit, cheeses, smoked salmon, scrambled eggs, toast, etc etc so well worth the money.
Staff were all very helpful and had good command of English. Reception explained how to access the tram and suggested three day pass at 14 euros which allows access to all trams/trains/buses etc. Nearest tram stop 100m from hotel - 3 stops to main station.
We went specifiaclly for the Xmas market which was only about 20 minute walk but did require negotiating a fairly steep flight of steps.
Ate in restaurant one night (in top 10 in Stuttgart) and although fairly epensive was an excellent experience.
Amazing koi carp in pond in back courtyard - which have won many awards.
Room clean and well equipped.
We mentione dthat the mini bar was not working and were not cahrge dfor the beer we had had - a nice touch.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed December 8, 2012

It was my first time in Stuttgart and was not expecting such a wonderful hotel just within walking distance to the city, and also just across the street for the train stop. It was at the beginning of winter and my room was at the backyard, which meant I had to walk a short distance outdoor. Yet I happily do it daily for 4 days, since it was very pleasant walking passes the koi pond and the nice landscape. The staff was very friendly, including the restaurant staff who went the extra mile bringing me my hot coco during very busy meal time. The room was nice, spacious and had all the facillities I needed, and on top of it all, the price was affordable. I will return one day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wendy H
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Woetz recently during a two week European vacation. There are some very positive things with the hotel, and some significant drawbacks.

First the positive - amazing service, gorgeous hotel. The staff will do just about anything you ask them too. The restaurant is awesome, some of the best food we've had on our trip.

However, the negatives will prevent my wife and I from returning. The hotel internet is free but pretty unreliable. Whether trying to catch up on work email or upload family photos, this can be very frustrating. Second, our room lacked a temperature control and it got hot and stuffy. We ended up opening windows (in the winter) to make the room sufferable for the night. Lastly, the garage is tiny, only eight parking spots, so be cautious if you are arriving in a car.

Those negatives are really a shame because the place is pretty fantastic.

Room Tip: Make sure you request an inside room; the hotel is on a busy street. Also, smoking/non-smoking requ...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple