“Very nice ambient Hotel in Stuttgart”

Hotel zur Weinsteige
Ranked #38 of 146 Hotels in Stuttgart
Walldorf, Germany
“Very nice ambient Hotel in Stuttgart”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I stayed there two times and this is the hotel of my choice when visiting Stuttgart for the reasons of comfort, ambience, price and location. It was convenient for me that it is just 2 min away from the tram (S-Bahn) station. The rooms have a very nice ambience, bed was very good, I had a room in the backside and it was very silent there. Free wi-fi, very good breakfast and a great restaurant for dinner. The dinner prices however lay in the upper segment (say, not for everydays dinner), but the quality is fantastic. The wine card is very impressive too.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Salatiga, Indonesia
Reviewed December 10, 2011

I was stayed in this hotel for a week with our groups for annual meeting at our HQ in Stuttgart. My first impression is negatives since the hotel is looks old, small and located in the busy traffic, but i'm wrong the room have very good noise protection so i feel calm in the room. We dinner at their Gourmet restaurant and they have great selections of menu, the quality of food is excellent and very delicious (but little bit expensive) and their wine collections are very rich. The service is so good and also the staffs are very helpful.

The location is excellent since a lot of attractions in walking distance. I would love to stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: take the room in 2nd floor and in the back side more quieter.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2011

We decided to stay at this hotel due to the high number of positive reviews here, along with the location, price and restaurant's reputation.

The hotel location was good. Right by a U-Bahn stop and a short walk to the main city centre and all the places to eat.

When we checked in, the receptionist was very friendly, helpful and made us feel welcome. We were shown to our room which was ok, but nothing special. It was a good three star hotel room, a lower end four star at best. The double bed was two single beds placed together and the TV while having many channels (several hundred) didn't seem to have any in English. (which is fair enough as it is Germany, but slightly unusual) Wifi was free and good quality, though we were only using it from our phones. There was no air conditioning which was annoying, though mainly because we went when the weather was unusually warm.

The restaurant was closed because of the vacations, so can't really comment on this.

Overall, I would say the hotel is fine, though nothing special. If you are staying here, you should have a satisfactory experience, but I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here if other options are available.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
New Market, MD
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We enjoyed our stay and would come back. Even though we stayed here only because our tour group stayed here(and I don't know the rates), I felt compelled to write a review because the only other two I could find on Tripadvisor were in German and did not appear to be flattering. There are some important things to point out though. Our room on the 5th floor was beautiful and spacious, BUT there is no elevator. The first room they were going to put us in was on the 2nd floor, but it only had a double bed, and it was me(a Dad) and my teenage daughter. The 5th floor room(I think the only guest room on that level) had three single beds and a huge bathroom, so that worked out better. I don't think there was air conditioning and we enjoyed having the windows open, but they did open on to the street and we heard some yelling in the streets late in the night after a big soccer match. One pleasant touch was they left big juicy apples by the bedside. There was no public computer, but my daughter got the code to use the wi-fi on her Ipod Touch down in the lobby. Breakfast was good with a basic spread. Coffee was good. They use those individual brewing cups and have a three free coffee maximum. The hotel had a lot of charm in the lobby area with very unique wood carving and metalwork, but the stairwell could use some updating. One very unique feature are their commercial koi ponds in he back courtyard. This area is like a little oaisis. They actually sell koi in every imaginable color and size. I had limited interaction with the hotel staff, but they seemed pleasant, and the young man that helped carry our bags spoke excellent english. I didn't have time to explore so don't know what's within walking distance, but it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ilovebruges
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Having read the other reviews, I was unsure about booking it but most of them seemed very positive, some verging on rave. Unfortunately I came away with a different opinion. On the up side the hotel is a relatively short walk from the city centre (and more importantly other places to eat if you don't want to pay the hefty price of their in house restaurant), the rooms are spacious, the place is kept clean and the koi fish ponds are quirky. However that is where it ends.

In order to get to the room from either the street or the rather neglected car park, we had to endure a maze of different stairs, doors and corridors. We felt like Alice in Wonderland and often lost members of the family who had gone back to get something from the room / car. Search parties usually found them. The transparent bathroom door was not appreciated by our teenagers and did they get the carpet from "That 70's Show"? The TV only worked on one channel and internet reception was patchy at best.

I stay in many four and five star hotels on business trips , but even my children commented on how on earth could this place be four star. The only "four star" trait it had was the price.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Kiwilah
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed April 13, 2011

My family and I recently used this hotel for a few days as my father was a patient in a local hospital.

It was pricey, both the room rate and the food in their dining room were a little above and beyond; breakfast costs about $15.00 extra, not included in the room rate. The atmosphere is very old world, the staff is exceptionally patient and helpful. I found the rooms very clean and sufficiently comfortable, the location is excellent for Stuttgart, easily accessible by foot or tram.

Still, though the hotel was picturesque, do not expect typical American luxury hotel standards to match the price you pay. I would consider it an above average hotel if I had paid an average price, the outrageous rates made it less than perfect.

I also have one complaint; during our stay we were called early each day to ask if we would be coming to breakfast. I would have made sure to let the staff know ahead of time if I realized this would happen, as we had long nights and were very tired, the 'wake up' calls were unwelcome.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Normandy, France
Reviewed March 14, 2011

We spent an exuberant four day < automobile museum> visit - owners and all staff always very friendly and helpful at all times, we had a three bedroom apartment for 5 with young children - super bathroom, spacious & with a balcony overlooking the courtyard - no noise from the very busy street thanks to good insulation - 10/15 min to centre of city - very convenient - house parking - also very convenient & useful (€ -supplementary) breakfast buffet excellent - fresh & large choice - didn't have the opportunity to dine at other times, but super quality seemed assured!

A little ' olde worlde' maybe - but that's part of the experience - modern & convenient is everywhere else - the Koi fish a 'must' for children & elders!

All technical ' hitches ' were settled same day - highly recommended and well worth a short stay! We'll be returning!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family