“Certainly did not meet expectations”

Hotel zur Weinsteige
Ranked #43 of 146 Hotels in Stuttgart
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Having read the other reviews, I was unsure about booking it but most of them seemed very positive, some verging on rave. Unfortunately I came away with a different opinion. On the up side the hotel is a relatively short walk from the city centre (and more importantly other places to eat if you don't want to pay the hefty price of their in house restaurant), the rooms are spacious, the place is kept clean and the koi fish ponds are quirky. However that is where it ends.

In order to get to the room from either the street or the rather neglected car park, we had to endure a maze of different stairs, doors and corridors. We felt like Alice in Wonderland and often lost members of the family who had gone back to get something from the room / car. Search parties usually found them. The transparent bathroom door was not appreciated by our teenagers and did they get the carpet from "That 70's Show"? The TV only worked on one channel and internet reception was patchy at best.

I stay in many four and five star hotels on business trips , but even my children commented on how on earth could this place be four star. The only "four star" trait it had was the price.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Kiwilah

Reviewed April 13, 2011

My family and I recently used this hotel for a few days as my father was a patient in a local hospital.

It was pricey, both the room rate and the food in their dining room were a little above and beyond; breakfast costs about $15.00 extra, not included in the room rate. The atmosphere is very old world, the staff is exceptionally patient and helpful. I found the rooms very clean and sufficiently comfortable, the location is excellent for Stuttgart, easily accessible by foot or tram.

Still, though the hotel was picturesque, do not expect typical American luxury hotel standards to match the price you pay. I would consider it an above average hotel if I had paid an average price, the outrageous rates made it less than perfect.

I also have one complaint; during our stay we were called early each day to ask if we would be coming to breakfast. I would have made sure to let the staff know ahead of time if I realized this would happen, as we had long nights and were very tired, the 'wake up' calls were unwelcome.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 14, 2011

We spent an exuberant four day < automobile museum> visit - owners and all staff always very friendly and helpful at all times, we had a three bedroom apartment for 5 with young children - super bathroom, spacious & with a balcony overlooking the courtyard - no noise from the very busy street thanks to good insulation - 10/15 min to centre of city - very convenient - house parking - also very convenient & useful (€ -supplementary) breakfast buffet excellent - fresh & large choice - didn't have the opportunity to dine at other times, but super quality seemed assured!

A little ' olde worlde' maybe - but that's part of the experience - modern & convenient is everywhere else - the Koi fish a 'must' for children & elders!

All technical ' hitches ' were settled same day - highly recommended and well worth a short stay! We'll be returning!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 11, 2011

I loved our stay at this hotel! I felt like a princes in castle while staying at this hotel with all of the artisitc carvings & antiques yet mixed all of modern appliances and comfort. This hotel had by far the best and comfiest hotel doublebed we have slept in during our travels in Europe! The douvets are big and fluffy, they more more then covered your body and the entire bed! I had a great night's sleep! The bathroom is bright & well lit and the shower had a huge shower head, great for a relaxing shower. Behind the main building is the Castle zur Wiensteige where there is a Koi pond, patio, columns, and statues in a quiet relaxing environment that must look enchanting when everything iit is warmer & everything is in bloom. The staff is very friendly and made great suggestions for sites to visit and places to eat. Great location! The hotel is very easy to find as it is on the main road. It is easy to walk to the old castle & Schlossplatz and all of downtown. After window shopping and seeing the sites downtown there are many restaurants to choose from. We got a great deal off of booking.com and we loved our visit. We look forward to staying at this hotel again in the future!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2010

Due to unforeseen circumstances we had to stay a week in Stuttgart changing hotels four times. This was the last hotel we stayed at and I wish it was the first and only.

Though the decor is not our style, we can't fault the hospitality and warmth of the family that runs this hotel. Yes, there are drawbacks (I would ask for a room at the back) but compared to the others - larger chain hotels - it was a pleasant enjoyable stay with easy access to the main sites. Internet was part of the room price and was no problem (unlike the so-called business hotel - the Mecure - with the internet constantly not working and was ridiculously expensive). The whole place was incredibly clean - spick and span.

And I really really recommend the restaurant. Very attentive staff. Great meal and excellent wine list.

Breakfast was also very good and the food was top quality.

All the staff actually seem to like being there and are proud of their little establishment.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2010

We stayed in the Schlösschen Zur Weinsteige building behind the main hotel and absolutely loved it. From the minute we arrived the staff was helpful and friendly. The room was really nice with doors opening right to the courtyard. It was well appointed and comfortable.
Make sure to check out Herr Scherle's huge Koi fish.
We had dinner in the restaurant our first night and again we were very happy. The service was polite and attentive and food excellent. The maître d’ helped us select a local wine without even trying to push us to one of the more expensive selection. We had heard that their selection of regional wines was good and that turned out to be true.
We had a great stay and I would most certainly stay and eat here again when in Stuttgart.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 27, 2008

Do you like "traditional" Hotels? Don't like Corporate Hotels? Well this one's for you!
Our son is on a University work placement in Stuttgart so we decided to visit him over Easter. I contacted a German colleague who recommended the Wortz to me. I rang and spoke direct with the Hotel, confirming prices and dates, their English was excellent.
Don't be fooled by the outside appearance of the Hotel or it's positioning in relation to S/U Bahn tracks. We had a room at the front and were never troubled by any noise from traffic or trams.We arrived late and were greeted by the owner, again good English. First impressions are "wow" fantastic carved ceiling in reception and like stepping into an old world building. Ok it's all mock historic architecture inside, but hey I told my colleague I wanted a hotel with character and we got what we wanted.
It was a bit of magical mystery tour to our room, up winding stairs and through doors off corridors, but we weren't disappointed when we got to the room. We asked for a three bedded room (two adults and 14year-old) and were greeted by a large twin bedded room with a substantial occasional bed. Yes the room was dated and rather eclectic with very '60's floral carpet and huge dark oak wardrobe, but that added considerable charm.
Large, clean bathroom and a entry vestibule into the room all add to a comfortable bolt hole whilst we were in Stuttgart.
Breakfast was excellent, a choice of typical German/Continental fare plus eggs cooked to order. The restaurant , like the reception, had beautifully carved wood panels and stained glass windows.Even the meat/cheese cooler trolley had carved panels!
We ate in the Hotel one evening, a good and not so good experience. Firstly the menu was typical of the area with lots of local dishes. The meal itself very well cooked and presented. I don't know if we chose a busy evening or if there were problems in the kitchen, but we had to wait about an hour between the starter and main course. If you speak little German just ask the MD to translate, he was great and very helpful.As for the wine list, you're talking telephone directory! In my job I travel abroad and eat out quite a lot, but I've never been confronted by such a wine list, even in Paris! So I just asked for the MD's recommendation, saying we wanted something reasonable but not expensive. The €24 local white was excellent!
Could say a lot more, but suffice to say we'd book again.
As to Stuttgart; like the rest of Germany, great public transport, buy your ticket/pass from the hotel.Do go to the Mercedes museum even if you're not a car buff, it's a good social history museum as well as the cars.Aim to arrive there early as it gets busy. Shopping is good, but we struggled to find restaurants which were open over the Easter holidays.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family