“Very good business hotel in the city center”

Maritim Hotel Stuttgart
Ranked #11 of 146 Hotels in Stuttgart
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

The hotel offers a pleasant stay for a business trip in Stuttgart. The rooms are big and very clean. The breakfast buffet is excellent. You'll also find a small spa area with a gym that is equipped with the most useful training equipment. There is unfortunately no free wifi, and rooms toward the street are a bit noisy.

• Stayed: April 2013
mmaier_stu, Assistant to General Manager at Maritim Hotel Stuttgart, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for this kind post at tripadvisor.

For your next stay: Just give our reception team a hint; if we are not fully booked, we should be abled to arrange a room away from the street.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

This hotel has seen its day. First of all, the front desk is chaos so checking in is an adventure. The rooms are old fashioned and, if you are put in the annex, quite far from the rest of the hotel. When I checked in there was no offer to help me with my luggage...not typical of any four star I have stayed in. The beds are too soft and my room smelled of smoke, even though you are not allowed to smoke in the hotel. The televisions are old and there are no toiletries, other than nasty shower gel, in the bathroom. Hairdryer on its last legs too. Breakfast is very good and the bar is fun, if in a bit of time warp. The WiFi situation is dire. They make you buy from T Mobile but it doesn't work well and T Mobile does everything to make your purchase difficult. One thing for sure is that I will never, ever use T Mobile as my main service; they stink. If you complaint to the hotel, they just throw their hands up. Fellini's restaurant up the street is excellent and there is a good German restaurant on the corner behind the hotel. You are also walkable from downtown. However, if I come back here again, I am going to choose another hotel. This one just doesn't measure up.

Room Tip: Avoid the annex and the street side of the main building.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your post at tripadvisor.

Yes, sometimes it could be really a bit busy at the reception / in the lobby, for example, if all members of a group with 150 people arrive at the same time.

It is also correct, that there is a little walk to our park wing. But for this, the rooms are even quieter then they are in the business wing.

The inattentiveness with your luggage was indeed not the usual standard at the hotel, perhaps due to the "chaos" you told of. We apologize for this. We have already talked to our front office management how we could improve the handling.

The shower gel is provided in these "big" dispenser because of environmental reasons. The dispensers could be refilled and produce less waste than small bottles for each guest.

The WiFi is provided by the Deutsche Telekom because it is the only provider who could handle this big amount of access points we need at the hotel.

We are very sorry if we couldn't fulfil all your wishes but would be very happy to welcome you again at MARITIM Hotel Stuttgart and be able to convince you of our high quality standard at your next visit.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I recently stayed two nights at the above hotel. I stayed in the so called Park Wing which is very quiet but you need to walk more than 100m from the reception to get there.
Although you see that the hotel is not new, it is in a very good condition. Rooms are very spacious and clean. I missed a bit a flat screen TV. The bathrooms of course were not modern as well but everything was working very well.
Parking is with 20Euro/night a bit pricey.
WLAN is provided by an external provider (Telekom) and costs 4.95Euro/night. Although not really fast, it works but I did not manage to download my mails on my business Laptop which did never happened before to me (fortunately it was weekend;))
Compared to other hotels in Stuttgart, it offers a good value for money (unfortunately, it is very hard to find really high-end hotels there which in addition are well located).
If I would need to stay in Stuttgart again, I would choose this hotel again but due to the network problems not for business purpose.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Tilo W
mmaier_stu, Assistant to General Manager at Maritim Hotel Stuttgart, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you very much for your post at tripadvisor.
Nice to see that you felt well with us.

We would appreciate to welcome you again, also for business purpose. So if you have again problems with the wifi, just contact our reception and we will speek to Telekom, our partner providing the wifi, to fix it.

Kind regards from Stuttgart,

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Facility is not new, but not old, Let's say classical. Services are good, stuff well trained. No free drinks, too soft bed mat is not my preference, however that's not crucial point for 1 night stay as business.

Room Tip: Suggest bring personal amenities, slipper, and drinks.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your post at tripadvisor.

Yes, the MARITIM Hotels are looking quiet similar, but for this, our guests know that they will find the same "equipment" and the same service all over Germany.

Thank you very much for the compliments for our staff. We are happy to hear something like this and will forward it to our colleagues.

See you at your next stay in Stuttgart,

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I had to make an overnight trip recently to Stuttgart, and as Le Meridien was sold out for that night, I checked my usual online sources for options. The listed prices for the Maritim Hotel were around $200/night, but I went on Priceline and found a mystery "Express Deal" 4-star that I was pretty sure would be Maritim for $76/night. It was, and I thought I'd scored quite a bargain. And so I did: while not among the most expensive in Europe, top hotels in Germany's major cities are often fairly pricey - and there aren't may 4- and 5-stars in business-oriented Stuttgart.

I drove -- which I don't usually do in Germany -- and found the hotel parking garage (right under the hotel) convenient, if costly (20 Euros for overnight with unlimited in and out). I walked up a short set of stairs from parking into the hotel lobby, which looked fine if rather dated (lots of chrome and black). The check-in clerk gave me a key and directions to the "park" tower (I'd read previous TA reviews about this possibility). I must have looked a bit skeptical at the convoluted directions, as the clerk quickly offered a room in the main/business tower (where the lobby is) for 10 Euros more - it was the "last" such room, he said. I went for it, and I actually did think the better location/convenience was worth the small price difference. (The clerk had said the room layout and decor wouldn't be different from one tower to the other.)

The elevators continued the 90s disco theme, with full mirrors and lots of brightwork. My room, however, was if anything, the opposite 70s drab, with rather cheap-looking light wood furniture, a low bed with a fairly thin mattress, and a large if completely plain bathroom (with what appeared to be a molded-plastic sink/vanity). Unimpressive, but not offensive or uncomfortable. The TV was a late-era tube unit with a smallish screen and circular speakers on the sides -- worked fine, but again with the dated decor and furnishings. I was full of a cold but needed to eat dinner, and I went to a recommended (on a gay-guide website for Stuttgart) Italian restaurant, Il Pomodoro, a few minutes' walk from the hotel. (As other reviewers have noted, Maritim is in central Stuttgart without being...quite in the center of things. No matter; it's still a good location.) The restaurant was packed, and the food excellent. I recommend it.

I stopped by the hotel bar for a drink -- quite lively, with a good drinks (generous 0.2-l wine pours) and tasty snacks. The pianist, Julia, was on duty and played passable versions of pop hits (including the rather incongruous choice of Lady Gaga's "Poker Face").

Back to the room for the night, I reconnected to the internet (wifi option was T-Mobile Hotspot, at a very reasonable 5 euros for 24 hours, and fairly quick and consistent speeds (6-8 Mbps) and then watch some TV before retiring early. The climate control was hardly that; I turned it down to the lowest setting (5 deg. C), but the room was still a bit warm. Sleep quality was good, though, despite the cheapish bed setup.

The next morning, I found the shower adequate but water pressure a bit lacking. Oh, and the cheap feeling came across again with the fixed soap dispensers for both the sink and bath/shower -- no separate bar soap, shampoo, or conditioner at Maritim. I think that was the first time I'd seen the soap-dispenser setup in something other than a 2- or 3-star hotel, although I do appreciate the relative environmental friendliness of the dispensers vice endless little plastic bottles.

Checkout was quick and efficient, as was my exit from the parking garage out into the Stuttgart day.

Maritim won't give you a luxury-cruise experience, but it gets most of the basics right -- it's just a little too basic for a major-city 4-star.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the business (main) tower if you want convenience and easy access in and out of th...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind and detailed post at tripadvisor.

Yes, the way to the park wing (second building) could be a bit to walk, but for this we have a picture gallery to "shorten" the feeling of the way.

Thank you for the compliments for Julia, we will forward it to her.

The fixed soap dispensers in the bathrooms are indeed for environmental issues, because they can be cleaned an refilled when empty.

We are looking forward to your next stay with us here at MARITIM Hotel Stuttgart.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I'm not sure about this hotel. The location isn't very central, still walking distance into the centre and easy to get too though. It's a big hotel, and an effort to get to my room, two lifts, down a set of stairs, long walk. The rooms are ok, the hotel is dated but the rooms are clean. I found it very annoying that they didn't have an iron, and they just put one on every floor.

I stayed here as I had an event at the centre next door, however if you're a tourist or have business that isn't close by then I'd skip this hotel, as the price wasn't particularly cheap and I'd actually drop a star to be in a better location if I was in Stuttgart again.

Although if you have already booked this place, I wouldn't be concerned at all as on the whole it's a decent clean hotel, nothing more, nothing less.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
mmaier_stu, Assistant to General Manager at Maritim Hotel Stuttgart, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you very much for your post at tripadvisor.

Yes, the way to our park wing is a bit to walk but the rooms are located unto the park and perhaps a bit quieter than at the business wing. But it wouldn't be a problem to get a comfort room at the business wing at your next stay. Just give a hint to our front office team.

Yes, the hotel is not directly in the centre of Stuttgart, it is about 10 minutes walking distance to the shopping street and about 15 minutes to the main railway station. But we are not located at any arterial road or a building site for a new railway station (what we get here in Stuttgart). And the next stop of the subway / city railroad is just 50 m from the hotel.

We're looking forward to see you again - not only if you have a meeting at the KKL.

Kind regards rom Germany,

Assistant to the General Manager

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Hello everyone!
I stayed at the Maritim last week,
And I had to stop by to talk about some things I really enjoyed!
First of all the Piano Bar at the lobby!
That was a great and special place! In this beautiful lobby you find a little cosy mini jazz bar. The musician was great the music was not too loud, you had breaks to talk and enjoy and you could have great drinks, where you also wouldn't have to wait for so long. The whiskey card is great as well as the wine card.

Second good point was the breakfast, me and my colleagues could enjoy our different fresh made omelette, and the coffe was actually good (for the German standards of hotel coffee)!!!

My room did have a strange smell on the first day though... Which was gone after the second day of stay... (Maybe the last person in there was not very clean) hehe

Sincerely yours,
Vini Gomes

• Stayed: January 2013
mmaier_stu, Assistant to General Manager at Maritim Hotel Stuttgart, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear Vini,

Thank you very much for this post at tripadvisor.

Nice to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We have also forwarded your compliments to our musician.

See you your next time at Stuttgart,