“Hard to find but good local food”

Stuttgarter Staffele
Ranked #80 of 1,429 Restaurants in Stuttgart
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Feuersee
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I found this restaurant on TripAdvisor. It was actually my 3rd choice, but the first 2 were not taking any more reservations. This place is off a side street and was difficult to find. I thought it was near the S stop one south of the Hauptbahnhof, but it was actually near the S stop 2 stops south, Feuersee. We got off at the Stadtmitte stop, but I couldn’t find Buschlestrasse on the map. We walked around the area and visited the Christmas markets. Near the Hauptbahnhof, I found a city Information area and got directions plus they printed me a map. They also sell inexpensive souvenirs there compared to those in the shops. We had a 1 day pass so we took the train 2 stops south to Feuersee and found the restaurant with our map. We were seated right away even though we were 10-15 minutes early. No one was smoking near us so I think we were in a non smoking section, which was great! I made a mistake and thought the big dish, Von Allem Ebbes, was 24,80 euro for 2 since most of the entrees were about 15 euro, but it was 24,80 euro per person. We wouldn’t have ordered appetizers although I’m glad we did. I had the snails (Weinbergschnecken), and there were 6 (without shells) in an escargot dish, but they were covered with a Swiss-type cheese. They were the best I’ve ever had, even better than in Paris or Lyon. My partner had soup(Zwiebelsuppe), which he liked. The main dish arrived and was BIG. It had lots of local meat specialties plus non meat ones like sauerkraut, spaetzel, and fried cheese sticks to name a few. We tried to eat most of the meat but could not make a dent in the platter. Service was slow because there were many large tables. The one next to us appeared to be office workers enjoying each other’s company and exchanging presents. In summary, I am giving a 4 because the food was very good but the prices were a little high. If you want to try to local cuisine, this may be a good choice, but verify your directions before you get there.

Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Went for dinner while in a short trip. The interior was very smoky from the smoking section. I was about to leave altogether but the offered to move us to the Christmas tent which was fine. The food was reasonably priced and decent quality. But it was. It memorable, and I feel we could have found a better place. The service was slow and disinterested in us. Long gaps between even seeing the server. Overall if you're in town for a short time try somewhere else.

1  Thank Katzen1
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I read the indications on tripadvisor and decided to try. A long walk from the hotel at the hauptbanhof till there, but was worthwhile each step.
Wonderfull food, nice beer and a very kind service, even with a non-german speaker.
They do have menus in English and Spanish, so you know what you will eat. And it is sehr gut!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Great ambiance! This is what it looks like in my imagination when I picture an authentic local German restaurant. The menu had some typical German dishes like Spatzle, knodel & sauerkraut. I ordered a local Swabian dish with beef in creamy cognac sauce.. and looooved it. My boyfriend's sirloin was also perfectly prepared. Would come here again!

Reviewed August 1, 2013

we decided to try the staeffele after reading the great reviews on tripadvisor. my family are locals so i was keen to be able to introduce them to a new restaurant.
it being a balmy summer evening we sat outside and i must say that the surrounding are very pleasant. the table and chairs comfortable the staff accommodating and polite.
my mothers course (kidneys in a sauce was truly beyond edible, too salty and the meat very tough). she complained and the waitress changed the order with no problem. my ‘pfannle’ a mix of filet in a sauce with home made spaetzle (a local delicacy, similar to pasta) however were beautifully cooked and i enjoyed every mouthful. the dish came with a side salad, which i was not overly partial to, although my oh loved it. it just seemed a bit on the traditional side ie very vinegary. i was quite surprised to note how my taste had changed over the years, with balsamic and olive oil dressing being the usual fare.
apart from that everyone was very happy with their main course. the deserts, were on one side a swabian delicacy, schuepfle a pastry with custard and apples, the custard tasted like a british birds’ eye or similar and we couldn’t find many apples in the dish either which it needed to give it a balance. i had ice cream with warm cherry compote. the ice cream was of fine quality, however the cherries did come out of a jar.
in conclusion, the experience was mixed and i can honestly can not give it more than average. would we go back again, not sure on reflection possibly not.

1  Thank sunshineand