“I usually stay on this kind of places, and I think this is one of the best”

and 1 more site!
Gaestehaus Stuttgart
Attendorn, Germany
“I usually stay on this kind of places, and I think this is one of the best”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The personel was very friendly and helpful, they have an all-day parking that would only cost 3 EUR. I stayed in the first floor, and I had a private room for myself (traveling solo) and It was very confortable.

The walls are a bit thin, which is not a problem for me, but I guess that some people wouldn't like that. Breakfast was 5 EUR, and it was a typicall German breakfast (Brötchen, cheese, coffee, etc.) A bit far away from the interesting part of town, but I would stay there again for sure.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My sister and I stayed here for 2 nights in July. We each had a single rooms on the top (4th) floor. These rooms have a skylight and fan, but they were little help on the hot and stormy summer days we had. Probably due to the heat, the door at the end of the hallway leading to an outdoor staircase stayed open 24 hours. This is a safety issue, though we didn't have any problems. Other guests smoked cigarettes on the staircase throughout the day, and smoke wafted into the hallway and in through the skylights at night.

Rooms were simple (sloped ceilings on 4th floor - watch your head) - single bed, armoire with a few hangers, table and chair, TV, fan, and mini-fridge. My sister's room also had a mirror and another small table, but mine did not.

The shared bathrooms were the best we experienced in a hostel in Germany. Shared bathrooms were spacious, clean, and the shower heads are HUGE! Toilets are in separate rooms, and this was convenient.

We made use of the kitchen to cook our own meals. There was not a single window in the kitchen on the 4th floor, so we had to prop the door open when we used it - I don't recommend using the kitchen in the summer. Wastebins are not labelled for appropriate use. Plates, cooking utensils, cookware, etc must be hired from reception for a 20 euro deposit. You get 4 poker chip things that you must keep track of and then return with the items upon checkout to have your deposit returned. There are apparently not many of these sets available, so it is important to request one if you plan to make your own meals. Mini-fridge in your room: higher number = colder, set it somewhere in the middle.

We had a rental car and the spaces in front of the hostel were sold out. We were instructed to park across the road at the Zucker Fabrik, which I thought was really sketchy, as there is a large building under construction and the lot is not visible from the road. It turned out to be fine, but try to reserve a space at the hostel in advance with your reservation.

There are several supermarkets nearby, but this hostel is not convenient to any major attractions. There is a bus stop at the end of the driveway - buy a ticket from the driver. The train station is not a good option.

I drove past the parking lot entrance to this hostel twice before finding it because the street isn't numbered for it on the sign. Here are some directions I sent to a friend which I hope might help others:

The Gastehaus is the first building you see if you turn onto Bottroperstrasse from Löwentorstrasse, but the entry is via a side street on the right marked "Zu Bottroper Str 69-57". We are #55 on the right down that street. If you come up the other way, the full length of Bottroperstrasse, it's a left turn to this street just after the Bottroperstrasse bus stop.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family