First I have to say that I stayed at this hotel in its "Pre-Opening Phase" (as they called it in their letter to us which we received at check-in). So I could be that many of the flaws will not appear in the future when the hotel has officially opened.
The first impression was a good one: Stylish lobby, friendly staff at check it. One of the two lifts was under construction but this is related to the hotel not being really finalized I would think.
My first impression of the room: Very dark! The lighting concept is many stylish lamps but none of it was really lighting the room. The worst is the lighting in the bathroom: One head light, no light at all in the mirror (this could only have been planned and constructed by a man).
The style of the furniture is modern and dark, looks nice. The room and bathroom were clean (maybe they learned something from the negative comments of other critics).
When I tried to switch on the TV and only found 3 channels, I tried to call the reception - the phone was dead. After some trial & error I found out that the phone was not even connected ! The plug was still in its original "package" so it was obvious the phone has never been plugged in before. When calling the reception and informing them, they only said "Oh really" - no apology at all.
The mattress was good (firm), the cushions however (2 per bed) way too big and hard (a selection of a soft and a hard cushion would have been better).
Since this hotel is new, I do not understand how they could put carpets in there - so unhygenic! I prefer wood / stone floor to carpeting.
The shower had no curtain or cabin so the bathroom was flooded (including my stuff and clothes) after showering.
The "ballroom" where breakfast is served is a nice room - unfortunately most of the tables were for groups of six or more people. When having breakfast (especially in a business hotel) I'd prefer tables for two instead of groups sitting together - we could not talk in private about our business meeting.
The breakfast was average at the most - pre-sliced / packed cheese and salami, some cereal, some bread, scrambled or boiled eggs. One coffee maker for all guests so you had to queue.
The location is very good, just one block away from the market place with a few nice looking restaurants / bars.
I wonder what will change until the hotels officially opens.
Here's a summary of the positive and negative experiences / aspects:
+ good location
+ nice style / decor
+ free WiFi
+ good firm mattress
- bad lighting, especially in bathroom
- carpet instead of tiles or stone floor
- no shower curtain / cabin so the bathroom was flooded
- phone was not plugged in
- no manual for TV (there's a trick to find more than 3 channels)
- no selection of cushions, cushion was too hard and big
- at night people roaming the street where very noisy (room 207)
- bed was very short, not even 2m long I suspect
- only average breakfast quality
- only very few tables for two at breakfast
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Wyndham Mannheim is a stylish designed hotel in the centre of the city of Mannheim. The shopping promenade "Planken" is known as "Champs-Elysees of Mannheim" - lined with fashionable shops, regal houses, and world-class restaurants. Simply step outside to take it all in. Easily accessible from the international airport Frankfurt am Main - and just a 10-minute stroll from the train station - our Mannheim hotel is the ideal choice for holidays, corporate travel, and weekend getaways. Experience the elegance of the Wyndham Mannheim. The 151 newly renovated hotel rooms brim with urban style and energy. The rooms of Wyndham Mannheim offer you a coffee machine, a flatscreen TV and Wifi free of any charge. The breakfast buffet in Wyndham Mannheim is also a true insider tip and meeting point of the residents of Mannheim. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotel.de and Priceline so you can book your Wyndham Mannheim reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.