“Central hotel full of surprises” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Hotel Mannheim am Rathaus

Mercure Hotel Mannheim am Rathaus
Ranked #1 of 45 Hotels in Mannheim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Gorey, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

A fully functional clean hotel in the heart of Mannheim. Staff polite and helpful. Vending machine empty of some listed contents for the three days stay. Bar/lounge totally lacking in atmosphere, and closed too early. Bedrooms complete and quite satisfactory in all other ways. Very impersonal experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 1947Aidan
Basel, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

How Mercure can justify charging more than €230 for a standard room in a 3 star hotel, without including internet or breakfast is staggering. Whilst the service is good and the rooms are ok they are not aligned with the 5 star price tag.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank seanyg
Nantes, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

I spent one night, last week, at the Mercure Hotel Mannheim am Rathaus.

Access to the hotel is quite difficult due to major construction all around, and weird one-way streets, but that is not the hotel's fault, and once one does reach the hotel, the parking garage is easily accessed and one can enter before checking in (I hate hotels which make you check-in before you can enter the garage; what am I to do with my car and luggage while I check in ?).

The restaurant deserves a special commendation for remaining open (with a smile) way past their usual closing hour, to serve me dinner when I arrived.

This is a solid, clean, modern Mercure hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

After a late evening arrival it was disappointing to find that the promised free Wi-Fi connection did not work. And the undersized duvet did not cover the bed - thankfully the heat-wave was in full swing. A comfortable bed and reasonably appointed room if a rather small bathroom, and I left the glass door open in case of accidentally walking into it. Breakfast was enjoyable with a good selection of hot and cold food. A challenging experience at checkout completed my view that this is just an average hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Rufus1780
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

1 of the cleanest hotels I have ever been to and additionally one of the hotels with best climate control (airco's were silent) Beautiful garden and lovely staff. Con's are the location, no chain on room door and no safe on room

• Stayed June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mikeymeyer
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

I want to end on a positive note so I'll begin with the things that I didn''t like. I was going to stay for two days and booked on mercure's site but the site didn't allow me to book the room for two days. So I had to make two bookings. This was eventually a source for confusion on arrival at the reception. I had booked the ''Privilege room with 1 queen-size bed'' incl. breakfast and on the first night a diner for €25pp.. for two people.
And there the problems started: normally the rooms are for one person, they explained at the reception. That was the answer to my question why there was only one of every glass or cup in the room. But they did have two sets of towels???
The thing that make from the superior room to the privlege is that you get'': VIP bathroom incl. bathrobes, mineral water, coffee/tea and newspaper free of charge in the room. Also included: Wi-Fi, late checkout''. I think the VIP means you get extra shampoo, a deo-spray (only for men) and the bathrobes which they didn''t have for us. There was only sparkeling mineral water. They didn't have a water cooker in the room I had to ask for it. I didn''t see any newspaper near my door or in my room during my stay, not that I needed it. At first they tried to charge me for the WI-FI but that too was abruptly change after I started looking through my booking on my phone. And last but not least the late check out was first only till 15:00 and after five minutes it was till 14:00 because they where fully booked and neaded the room to be cleaned for the next guest.
That was not everything what went bad: On the site I think I read somewhere that the restaurant was closed on saterdays and I think there was no possiblity in booking a meal on that day. But booking meals on other days which are national hollidays was possible and that's what happen to us. So after a 500 KM drive and after the other little things I got the nieuws that I would have to look for a other place to eat. That just sucked big time!
With the Wi-fi and trip advisor the choose was made to go to ICHI and afterwards we were glad we didn''t eat at mercure. The menu which you can choose from, for the online deal, is not extensive and a little boring. Asia food Ichi was perfect and for less than what we were gonig to pay at mercure.
It felt as if the aircon was trying it's best but couldn't get the room to the right temp. even tough it was set to it's coldest. But it was not bad so I didn't say anything about that at the reception.
And the last negative remark: our shower door kept leaking and filling the bathroom with streams of water. They did try fix the problem but it didn't keep the floor dry.
Now for the good parts:
The hotel is very clean. They have a very big selection at the breakfast buffet. The only thing I could find that wasn't perfect at the buffet was that the fruit isn't grade ''A''. So breakfast gets a A- (9,5).
After I told the reception about my problems they really tried there best to get me what I needed. Like the water cooker, because I don't drink coffee but do drink tea. They gave us extra towels for the floor or the tried to fix the shower. They looked for the bathrobes but gave us a voucher for some cocktails instead. For the mix-up with the WI-fi and the food they validated my parking.
Oh and that reminds me of something else: parking outside near the hotel is not allowed. It's only for residents and you can get fined. And in Mannheim your car needs to have a ''milieu-sticker'' (pollution sticker) the fine for not having a sticker is €50.
The hotel is just outside the ctiy center and a five block walk (10 minutes) can get you there.
Going further about cars: In the garage they had a car service station where you can refill the wind-scream wiper fluid and or clean it.
The rooms was very quiet but the beds are a little bit too soft. But it wasn't so bad that we didn't sleap at all. You just noticed that the normal support wasn't there when waking up.
So would I stay here again: YES.
The problems I had were taken seriously and acted upon. I have the fealing that I paid for what I got (service, empathy and cleanliness).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple