I visited 30 Jan 2013 - 1 Feb and have tried to write this review a number of times. The current heat wave (it was 27 degrees on Monday 15th April) made me think it is time to add this review.
I have stayed here on and off, over the past 13 years and cannot get over the style of the place - the building and location are great. If this was the UK it would be refurbished as a stylish and very expensive hotel. But this is the centre of Mannheim and the Maritim awaits the complete makeover. Following which there would be a waiting list to stay here.
The competition between hotels in the centre of Mannheim appears to offer similar levels of service and facilities, all with good and less good aspects.
Mannheim is host to a number of Congresses over the course of a year - when this happens it can be impossible to get the first or second or even any hotel in the city. My advice is always try to book an Hotel as early as you can.
I booked here because I have affection for the place and couldn’t get in my first or second choices.
On check in I was asked “Smoking or non-smoking?”- which coming from the UK is very odd, and does mean you can have a room where people have smoked. I got a room at the back on the third floor - simply put it was quiet and huge, a little jaded - but the traveler photos show this if you look carefully. This means you can leave the windows open for fresh air and not be woken all night by the sirens and other night noises of this city.
The important point is that rooms can be fine outside of "summer" or to be precise when the temperature is lower, but in the height of summer there is no relief from the oppressive heat and unless you are in a good position at the back, having the window open means you will be woken all night (I always carry ear plugs for this reason and have used them here on previous visits when at the front) and even with the windows open the heat inside can be oppressive.
This is great, dark and atmospheric and often has music with good piano. The service is generally good, the range also good. It was good this visit. It opens late and is nice for a late drink and a chat. BUT people seem to be able to smoke in here - if so then I do not use it.
The range and service is absolutely excellent - including Gluten free cereals – hurrah!! There is a vast range of choices, both hot and cold, not quite as good a hot range if you are vegetarian (or coeliac). The only thing which surprised me was the orange juice wasn’t real. The big downside is that as the year progresses it can get very warm (hot) here and can be quite unpleasant to eat here. This visit was great. I enjoyed the breakfast a lot.
The service is generally good - I was lucky and missed the mass check out from the attendees at the congress, but it can be time consuming and from past experience, queuing doesn’t seem to happen here.
Personally I find it hard to rate the Maritim, it is good in parts, very good in parts, but the building and furnishings can feel a little tired and with the temperature rising over the year the hotel feels a little limited.
Stating the obvious the rating depends on the location of the room you get and what time of year you are staying. Winter to Spring the Maritim is well worth using and if you get a good rate it is hard to beat for location and a good breakfast. The large back bedrooms are great and the bathrooms have what seemed to me wider baths, with showers over them which are adequate.
I will be first to book if the Maritim ever has a makeover and refurb with operational air-conditioning because I (usually) like the place. For this trip in, winter it deserves a 4, I slept very well and enjoyed the facilities I used. I think if I had to have stayed at the Maritim this week ( Mid April)it would be different, since I have not had a room ever with aircon that worked and let’s face it the most important thing is a good night’s sleep.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our elegant first class hotel built in the renaissance style and located in the midst of the particulary beautiful Friedrichsplatz Jugendstil complex forms certainly the ideal framework for guests looking for that very special place. The flight of stairs flanked by columns and the vestibule finished with Carrara marble, Venetian crystal and ornamental plasterwork reflect the exclusivity and the wealth of tradition of our Parkhotel.The very special wedding ceremony! Allow yourself the pleasure of a civil wedding ceremony in the elegant and stylish wedding room of our Maritim Parkhotel Mannheim. Your accommodation is in the city centre surroundedby countless attractions. For instance the Water Tower just in front of our hotel , the principal landmark of Mannheim. Do not miss the impressive waterworks and luminous fountains. The Electoral Residence Castle, on of the largest baroque castles in the world, the oldest baroque Town Hall preserved in its original walls, the museums and the historic observatory and the Luisenpark are within easy reach from the hotel. The city location in the heart of the famous Baden and Pfalz vineyards and wineries makes it a valued destination for wine connoisseurs from all over the globe.Do you prefer your stay to be in a very special atmosphere? Then you will feel welcome in the Maritim Parkhotel in Mannheim. We look forward to seeing you soon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Maritim Parkhotel Mannheim reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maritim Parkhotel Mannheim Hotel Mannheim
- Maritim Parkhotel Hotel Mannheim