“Good - outside of Warm weather”

Ranked #15 of 45 Hotels in Mannheim
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I visited 30 Jan 2013 - 1 Feb and have tried to write this review a number of times. The current heat wave (it was 27 degrees on Monday 15th April) made me think it is time to add this review.
BACKROUND
I have stayed here on and off, over the past 13 years and cannot get over the style of the place - the building and location are great. If this was the UK it would be refurbished as a stylish and very expensive hotel. But this is the centre of Mannheim and the Maritim awaits the complete makeover. Following which there would be a waiting list to stay here.
The competition between hotels in the centre of Mannheim appears to offer similar levels of service and facilities, all with good and less good aspects.
Mannheim is host to a number of Congresses over the course of a year - when this happens it can be impossible to get the first or second or even any hotel in the city. My advice is always try to book an Hotel as early as you can.
I booked here because I have affection for the place and couldn’t get in my first or second choices.
ROOM
On check in I was asked “Smoking or non-smoking?”- which coming from the UK is very odd, and does mean you can have a room where people have smoked. I got a room at the back on the third floor - simply put it was quiet and huge, a little jaded - but the traveler photos show this if you look carefully. This means you can leave the windows open for fresh air and not be woken all night by the sirens and other night noises of this city.
The important point is that rooms can be fine outside of "summer" or to be precise when the temperature is lower, but in the height of summer there is no relief from the oppressive heat and unless you are in a good position at the back, having the window open means you will be woken all night (I always carry ear plugs for this reason and have used them here on previous visits when at the front) and even with the windows open the heat inside can be oppressive.
BAR
This is great, dark and atmospheric and often has music with good piano. The service is generally good, the range also good. It was good this visit. It opens late and is nice for a late drink and a chat. BUT people seem to be able to smoke in here - if so then I do not use it.
BREAKFAST
The range and service is absolutely excellent - including Gluten free cereals – hurrah!! There is a vast range of choices, both hot and cold, not quite as good a hot range if you are vegetarian (or coeliac). The only thing which surprised me was the orange juice wasn’t real. The big downside is that as the year progresses it can get very warm (hot) here and can be quite unpleasant to eat here. This visit was great. I enjoyed the breakfast a lot.
CHECK OUT
The service is generally good - I was lucky and missed the mass check out from the attendees at the congress, but it can be time consuming and from past experience, queuing doesn’t seem to happen here.
OVERALL
Personally I find it hard to rate the Maritim, it is good in parts, very good in parts, but the building and furnishings can feel a little tired and with the temperature rising over the year the hotel feels a little limited.
Stating the obvious the rating depends on the location of the room you get and what time of year you are staying. Winter to Spring the Maritim is well worth using and if you get a good rate it is hard to beat for location and a good breakfast. The large back bedrooms are great and the bathrooms have what seemed to me wider baths, with showers over them which are adequate.
I will be first to book if the Maritim ever has a makeover and refurb with operational air-conditioning because I (usually) like the place. For this trip in, winter it deserves a 4, I slept very well and enjoyed the facilities I used. I think if I had to have stayed at the Maritim this week ( Mid April)it would be different, since I have not had a room ever with aircon that worked and let’s face it the most important thing is a good night’s sleep.

Room Tip: - Always book as early as you can, large congresses can take over hotels if not the city - Breakfa...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
MaritimMan, Manager at Maritim Parkhotel Mannheim, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear Guest,
we thank you for taking the time to thoroughly rate your stay in our hotel. We would be delighted to have you choose our house again on your next visit to Mannheim and to welcome you as a satisfied guest.

Yours sincerely,
MARITIM Parkhotel Mannheim

Reviewed January 29, 2013

This hotel is old but well furnished. I had arranged an early check in, but after a long trip I was disappointed at how slow both the check in and also checkout processes were. My room was nice and had a good view of the water tower. The breakfast was ok and the bar area looked nice. My big complaints were only two English speaking free TV stations (I thought all hotels provided BBC for free, but not this one) and paying 27 euro a day for high speed Internet.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Beverley G
MaritimMan, Directeur général at Maritim Parkhotel Mannheim, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear customer,
many thanks for taking the time to report about your stay at our hotel. We are pleased to read that you liked your room and its spezial view! However, we regret that the check-in and check-out process were slow. Unfortunately, we cannot offer more English speaking channels and wifi at a cheaper rate at the moment, but we hope, that this will change in the near future!
We would be happy to welcome you again on your next visit to Mannheim and welcome you as a satisfied guest.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Part of a business trip with 35 people in the party.The hotel itself is very grand from the outside and has a good position opposite a park with good shopping all around. The check in was very efficient and we were in the rooms very quickly. The rooms were a good size and the bathroom was ok if a bit small. The main gripes are that there are no tea and coffee facilities in the room, this is quite unusual these days. The TV was a tube monster but the only English channels were 2 poor ones NO BBC just some sky international news which is crap in comparison with the Beeb. Also there was no iron in the room, again this is unusual these days. Mannheim itself is very nice near the centre but the suburbs are a bit grim, but hey, this is the industrial heartland of Germany so not unexpected. Everything ran to time with frightening efficiency! How do they keep the airport and roads open with a foot of snow when they shut in Britain with half an inch?

Room Tip: Get a room that faces the park, rear views not so edifying.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear customer,
many thanks for taking the time to report about your stay at our hotel!
We are delighted to hear, that you liked the position of the hotel and its appearance! We are also satisfied to hear, that the check-in was very efficient and that you liked the rooms. Please take into account that our house, which belongs to the 4 star category, was built in 1901 and falls under the protection of monuments. Thus, our rooms are of different sizes. Unfortunately, we cannot offer more English speaking channels at the moment but hope that this will change in the near future. We also regret, that our TVs do not exactly meet the current expectations but we also hope this will change in the near future. We would be happy to welcome you again in our hotel at your next visit to Mannheim and welcome you as a satisfied guest.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

I arrived earlly, before check-in time. The room wasn't ready, which didn't surprise me. The first diappointment was the reception desk's reaction. They merely said I was too early and to come back at check-in time. They did nothing to accommodate my request. They did not assure me that I would have the first room available or suggest anything to make my comfortable. When I asked if I could use the fitness room (and shower there after my long flight) while I waited for my room, they were less than helpful. The fitness area was closed for some reason, which I never understood. I waited in the lobby. Finally, I decided to get something to eat in the restaurant. No such luck. The restaurant host told me they were busy and had nothing available.

When I did get my room, it was underwhelming. The room is tiny, just slightly larger than a walk-in closet. (see the photos.) The bed is a single, similar to a twin. The television is old and the picture quality quite poor.

There is a pool in the hotel. I never saw anyone use it. I went for the fitness room, which consists of 1 treadmill, 1 elliptical machine and 1 bike. All are located near the pool where it is very warm and humid. There is no drinking fountain or drinking water in the fitness area.

The hotel is conveniently located to shopping, restaurants and the Wasserturn, but next time, I will stay at the Holiday Inn or the Dorint.

Room Tip: Select a room facing the park if you want the view. Choose a room on the other side if you want qui...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank GraceIndianapolis

Dear customer,

many thanks for taking the time to report about your stay at MARITIM Parkhotel Mannheim. We are very sorry to hear that your visit did not meet your expectations. Please take into account that our house, which belongs to the 4 star category, was built in 1901 and falls under the protection of monuments. Thus, our rooms are of different sizes. We also regret to hear that the staff of the hotel was not very helpful and we will do our utmost to improve this situation! We would be happy to welcome you again in our hotel at your next visit to Mannheim and we will do our best to welcome you as a satisfied guest.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

A bit of a curate's egg, I found. It is located really well, and looks very attractive when you walk in. Lots of space and things that glisten like gold. A lovely bar. A view across to the sunrise (if you get one of these rooms). About half the hotel seemed to be filled with workers aged 30 to 40 undergoing trainign courses,often for BASF which is the BIG industrial player in this town. They're nice enough, and keep to themselves, but add a "tour bus" feel to the lobby, breakfast restaurant and bar when not in school. The service at reception is quite variable according to which person is on duty.I'll say no more on that score. The people in the restaurant (especially Jacqueline who runs the "Italian" restaurant) are great, and teh quality fo the kitchen was surprsingly very good.. If you don't get a room overlooking the sunrise, you might get one looking on to the air shaft. Truly, truly ugly.My final view is that I would go there for a meal ro drink, but not stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Herberts1
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I don't think this hotel has been updated since the 70s. There is an lingering musty odour in the corridors and the rooms, which sometimes seems to turn into a cigarette smoke smell, probably due to the age of the carpet in the hotel.
However, despite the smell, the hotel seems clean and the staff are very friendly.
The rooms are tiny, with single beds and the internet in the room isn't really up to today's standard (no Wifi, only a WLAN cable, costs 15 euros for 24h and it isn't even reliable as the connection keeps on cutting off).
The location is practical as only a 10 minute walk from the main train station.
I would not stay there again unless a thorough refurbishment of the hotel is performed.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Dear customer,

many thanks for taking the time to report about your stay at our hotel! We are pleased to hear that you were satisfied with the friendlieness of our staff and the location of the MARITIM Parkhotel Mannheim. Please take into account that our house, which belongs to the 4 star category, was built in 1901 and falls under the protection of monuments. Thus, our rooms are of different sizes. We do hope to have a thorough refurbishment in the near future in order to meet todays standards.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

There's a certain charm to the Maritim, but it needs updating.

First off, a hotel of this type that will cater to business travelers needs to offer "free" WiFi.
I shouldn't have to buy a special 3rd party plan. A second option of WLAN wouldn't even connect and, when I advised the front desk, they said they would call the provider and it
might be up later in the evening.

Along the same lines, when I checked in I asked about a laundromat since it was too late to
get service at the hotel. I was told the name and given directions, only to find out it was a dry cleaning service.

The room itself was spacious and clean, so it wasn't outright terrible.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank TravelFotog77

Dear customer,

many thanks for taking the time to report about your stay at our hotel. We regret to hear that your visit did not meet your expectations. Please take into account that our house, which belongs to the 4 star category, was built in 1901 and falls under the protection of monuments. Thus, our rooms are of different sizes. We are also sorry to hear about the connection problems with the WLAN. We will do our best to improve the internet situation in our house in the near future!