“A wonderful couple of hours but could spend longer”

Center for Art and Media Technology
Ranked #5 of 57 things to do in Karlsruhe
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We went here because of the reviews and were not disappointed. It cost 10 Euros for a family ticket but we soon lost the children to the interactive exhibits. I am unsure how much they learned as there was no option for a foreign guidebook, but the curators were approachable, knowledgeable and friendly. My highlight was the computer gaming floor, and reminiscing over systems for which I have written games to be downloaded by cassette tape or true floppy disc!

2  Thank Fen_Scorpion

Reviewed August 15, 2012

This review is for the entire art complex. Simply mindblowing that a small city has such a world class exhibition. From the municipal museum with a broad selection of top shelf works (from classic to contemporary) by local artists, to unrestrained explorations of different artistic media, to sprawling contemporary exhibitions, this facility is 3 or 4 art museums/exhibition halls in one.

Unfortunately I visited on my last day in Karlsruhe- far too much art and culture for one day. Ask if your visit can be spread over two days as they have different ticket combinations at different times.

1  Thank sandy c
Reviewed March 29, 2012

I went because of all the positive reviews I read here, but I was disappointed. The historical building is great (old factory), but unlike most people around here I wasn't really fascinated or impressed by what I saw. Just not my cup of tea.
The building also houses the Museum für Neue Kunst. It has a large collection of modern art, nicely displayed.
There is a museum cafe and a shop.

Reviewed February 12, 2012

The perfect place to experience digital art and to interact with historical computers, consoles and pixels in all forms and shapes. We spent half a day just walking/experiencing around the first floor of the exhibition. The second floor, with all the video games was delightful to check out and it brought back a lot of memories (winning in Pong on the commodore 64 still rules). A perfect place for big and small children.

1  Thank Calaretu
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Take Street Tram No. 2 from Central Train Station (Haupt Bahnhoff). Do see the gaming section on the top floor... it is good!!!