“Payment method strange”

Ranked #16 of 61 Hotels in Karlsruhe
A TripAdvisor Member
“Payment method strange”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

If you're after 'basic' then this hotel is fine. I have stayed there before, so would be daft going back if it wasn't. Clean and not so far from the tram stop/train station/bus stop, my only problem is the method of payment. I booked for two people for two days. Remembering the last time I stayed (unable to read the German information sheet, I couldn't get into the hotel - so I pressed the emergency button and was given a bit of a glare by the otherwise friendly staff member who attended), I successfully operated the 'pay-first-by-card to get through the door' operating button. The day after, while I was out, my partner was told that I had only paid for me, and also for only one day, so could she cough up the rest. This wasn't necessarily embarrassing for her, but it could have been. More to the point, we have been charged two transaction rates by our respective banks, the second of which should and would have been avoided if money for what I had actually booked had come out of my account in the first place. Sort it out, Etap. Other than that, would I go back? Possibly.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We just stopped in this hotel for a night on our way to Black Forest. We reached late so there was no reception but there was a machine for check-in based on the confirmation number you received while booking hotel.
Room was a standard ETAP room with toilet and bathroom and a wash basin inside the room. Room was neat and clean. Breakfast was standard continental breakfast and it good enough. Hotel has free WiFi facility. Overall our stay was pleasant.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Whitstable, KENT
Reviewed July 23, 2011

We arrived at this hotel at 4.40pm after riding our motorcycles from 6.30am, the last couple of hours in torrential rain. We rode around to the tiny car park, and pressed the intercom button to get in- we were informed that we could book in at 5pm and not before, and the woman would not open the door!!!!! We had the pleasure of standing in the torrential rain for a further 20 minutes, before being allowed in!!

For that reason we shall never use an Etap hotel again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rachys

Travelers are raving about these Karlsruhe hotels

Bexley, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Toilet and shower were in plastic cubicles, sink in bedroom! Beds - one vertical and one horizontally above, accessed by a ladder, both with a thin mattress. Towels shabby. Blinding strip lights down sides of bed, Colour co-ordination left much to be desired - cerise paintwork, green door, blue carpet!!! It was, however, clean and had the benefit of a lift and free Wifi. The area was dire the only nearby restaurant being an American Diner serving burgers! Worst budget hotel ever.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elaine1188932
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 26, 2010

we visited this hotel few times in last two years and the level of service is equaly good. As time goes by we see a need for refurbishment of staircase and the elevator. Some more parking space would be fine.
I.P.