“Good hotel for a basic stay”

ACHAT Plaza Karlsruhe
Ranked #9 of 61 Hotels in Karlsruhe
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Stayed in February for a business trip, its a nice and basic hotel. My personal experience was a little spoilt by conflicting information by two different staff members at reception in the morning, but apart from that staff are helpful and friendly. Please note that if you're taking a taxi, please be sure to stand outside by the main door otherwise you may risk losing your taxi.

The breakfast is good, if you choose american option, you may ask restaurant staff to make you an omelette which is quite good in my experience.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Muhammad_Adeel

Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

Let's acknowledge the good news first: the staff here are friendly and helpful. They are absolutely doing their best and I would like to thank them. Now the bad bits: this place is as ugly as the Russian Ministry of Planning. A concrete slab, tiny windows, horrible eighties interior... It really is in a time warp. Internet access only works for one device. No one could log out my iPad so I could log in my PC. "Call the helpline...." I finally wangled an other access code. But the hotel firewall prevents VPNs from working... Maybe this his not a hotel for business people. But who for then? Dinner in the downstairs restaurant was a drab affair. All alone in a cantine-like decor, the food could be qualified as "institutional international" at best. Breakfast was generous but bad. Check-out was impossible: the computers were "down". This Renaissance unfortunately under-delivers. If someone has a better tip in Karlsruhe, please send it to me.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank i-live-for-lunch
WiSimon2014, Director of Sales at ACHAT Plaza Karlsruhe, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback on what appears to have been a bad experience at our hotel. Please accept our sincere apology for the technical failures you experienced while checking out - the computer system shut down for a while and we weren't able to offer a quick and smooth check out as usual.

We will take the chance to thank you as well for your positive feedback for our well trained employees and the quality of service you experienced.

We would be happy to welcome you again to convince you of the Renaissance Karlsruhe Hotel with all the advantages that we can offer. If you like to contact us you can reach us at (+49)721 3717-360.

Kind regards,
Simon Wieck

Director of Sales
Renaissance Karlsruhe Hotel

Reviewed December 30, 2013

After a long drive we checked into this hotel one Sunday evening just prior to Christmas. We were greeted by Magged on the Front Desk, who could not have been more helpful and pleasant. Our room was good, although a little small, but the breakfast buffet was one of the best we have had.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Downtown, near tram station, you have access to all you need. The hotel has large rooms, modern and well equipped bathroom. All is very clean and the staff is very nice and helpful. Breakfast buffet is generous, you can have what you want.

Room Tip: Ask a room "inside" side to avoid street noise which is anyway low during the night.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Lots of pluses and minuses leads to an average rating. The hotel is comfortable, but the room ran warm. Even with the air conditioning on full, I still had to leave my window opened overnight to keep the room reasonably comfortable (since the hotel is in a busy area, this makes for a noisy room). The internet connection is very disappointing, you have to reconnect throughout the night and it is very slow. While the breakfast is very good, the turnover of tables is very slow as well as the replenishment of food. The hotel is in a convenient location, with a Tram stop right outside the room and walking distance to Karlsruhe's main shopping area.

Room Tip: Haven't found a great room yet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Spent a night in Karlsruhe before returning to the states via Stuttgart. This was a convenient location less than an hour's drive (depending on traffic conditions) from the Stuttgart airport. The location is in the city center, and there is a major tram stop right outside the front door. Parking is also available, though a bit pricey at 17 euros per day. The staff was extremely helpful and pleasant, and provided us with information for an afternoon visit to a location just 15 minutes away via tram that we would not have been aware of otherwise. They also offered us to go breakfast bags as we needed to leave early for the airport. We had a very good meal in the restaurant, which was appreciated as the weather outside had turned bad. Room was comfortable, but not remarkable.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2013

As Renaissance properties go this one was not as up to snuff as others. I might have been a little more complimentary but of the 16 nights on the trip, this hotel was the most expensive by far. The food at dinner and at breakfast in the morning were superb. But I was hot and this made it difficult to sleep. I would say the front desk while professional was not overly friendly. Although I expected a complimentary breakfast because of my Marriott status, this was not expressed during checkin ( when I checked out I said I had eaten breakfast and they said then - it was free for me). I paid 60% more than Renaissance in Dusseldorf.

Maybe next time to this area - I will try local hotel

Room Tip: Since there is construction out front, pick a room off the back.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business