“Don't bother going here”
Review of Das Bootshaus

Das Bootshaus
Ranked #113 of 482 Restaurants in Heidelberg
Cuisines: German, European, Pub, Central European
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Toronto, Canada
“Don't bother going here”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was in Heidelberg with two co-workers for a week. The other two went for dinner and said they had a good burger.

Friday was an off day for me. I walked all over the city and looked forward to a burger and beer for lunch going back to my hotel.

The blackboard menu listed the burger. When I ordered it, I was told. "That is only served at dinner time." Very rudely. Why?

There was a fish on the menu for almost 20 Euros. More than I wanted to spend for lunch. I asked what fish it was. waitress replied, "I don't know the English word." And she walked away.

I had already ordered a beer, which I drank and told her to forget lunch. I was no longer interested. Too bad, I was looking forward to it.

As a boathouse, they could ramp up the decorations a bit. Was kind of average and dowdy. Nothing special. It could easily be better.

Will not return.

• Visited October 2012
8 Thank ChipBarkel

Victoria BC
“The rudest bartender-waiter ever encountered!”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My wife and I while visiting Heidelberg in September had a marvellous meal on the outside patio of this restaurant.. The young lady waitress was very nice as was almost everyone that we encountered in Heidelberg. We returned the night after anticipating another excellent meal on the patio. After sitting at one of the tables for 10 minutes,no waiter-waitress came out. I went inside and there was a man behind the bar and I politely asked if we could be served outside again. With a very surly look on his face, he replied rudely that no,we could not be served outside. I asked him why?,Because it was too cold he replied in a rude,very unfriendly tone. He did not even bother to invite us inside for dinner,and the place did not look at all busy. Rather than make a scene,I just politely thanked this fellow and my wife and I left,only to find a lovely place just up the street that served delicious meals on its outside patio.. This encounter with this rude fellow put a damper on an otherwise lovely visit to the beautiful city of Heidelberg and its friendly and charming residents. Marjorie and John McIlroy Victoria BC Canada.

• Visited September 2012
10 Thank WandMMcIlroy
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“The best food I've had in Heidelberg”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

This restaurant integrated into a local rowing club serves the most beautiful steak I've had for many years. Skip a starter, be prepared to sacrifice dessert, and have the largest steak you can eat and a beer or two. Choices are 240g, 300g and 400g.

When the weather is good the covered terrace at the side of the building or the more open one facing the river are hugely popular, but you should get a seat inside. In colder weather or when it's dark book a table or arrive early as it always seems to be busy.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank fruitmachine2009
Den Haag
“wonderful service, good food, at below average cost”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I recently had lunch at Das Bootshaus and have the following to note:

1. The portions are large
2. The food came promptly
3. The service was great
4. The food was well-prepared
5. Though not a vegetarian myself, I took note of multiple, delicious, vegetarian options.
6. They do have an excellent wine menu.
7. The price was low, considering the above.

All in all a wonderful dining experience that I would recommend to others. My only two MINOR complaints would be that

1. The terrace overlooks a noisy highway. From other reviews I read, I was excited to sit on a wonderful terrace overlooking the river. The terrace does overlook the river. It's just that the river is 20 meters away beyond the parking lot and then a highway. So you get a great view indeed, but there's quite a lot of car noise, and the view includes the not so picturesque highway.
2. There was no English langage menu. Not a problem for my party at all, but if you're a picky eater and don't know a single word in German, this might perturb you.

So my suggestion would be go there, eat there, and if it's late enough I suppose you could enjoy the terrace. But if you're going mid-day, sit inside. I'll certainly return next time I'm in the area.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank GarthOl
Heidelberg, Germany
“Hidden gem for Neckar view”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

A nice summer evening, this is a great place to chill out. Good food, varied menue and a nice terrace. Very nice steaks and good selection of wines.

2 Thank Cialainen