“Cheap but not so cheerful:)”
Review of Hotel Kranich

Hotel Kranich
and 1 more site!
Hotel Kranich
Ranked #67 of 76 Hotels in Heidelberg
Kaiserslautern, Germany
“Cheap but not so cheerful:)”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Stayed here for one night since everything else was booked due to the races in Hockenheim. The room was fine for one night but I wouldn't be able to stick it out for longer than that. Everything looked very dated, very 70's style to include the bedding and the shower tiles. Breakfast was the usual continental fare. The price was right at Euro 45 for bed and breakfast and the place was OK overall. Free WiFi was a bonus.

Room Tip: I was in Room 21 which was pretty quiet and had a nice balcony overlooking the back yard. Would hav...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ChristinaHD

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Our stay at this hotel was pretty bad. The windows were dirty, holes in the sheets, the blanket was threadbare. We had to ask for toilet paper. My husband cleaned something off the wall that look like snot. It felt and looked really run down. The shower door was very hard to close, and had rust stains,etc. Our double bed was just two twin beds pushed together. Most of the night, I was sliding through the crack and giggling. I could go on but what's the point. As another person said parking is free, and there's a grocery story and bakery nearby. It's about a 15 minute drive to Heidelberg which is great. However, after walking around in Heidelberg, I didn't look forward to coming back to the hotel. It was 65 Europe for the three of us so...maybe we got what we paid for.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank edteacher

Travelers are raving about these Heidelberg hotels

Bulgarien
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The hotel is situated in a very comfortable place and with the help of a car or a bus, you could reach the old town as well as the administrative center. Heidelberg is a big city so there's no way you could reach every part of the town in a sec so to say. We would like to pay a special thank you to the hotel manager Sandra Walther and the team at the reception who met all of our needs, wishes and requirements.
The rooms are equipped with everything necessary, they are spacy and the internet is good.
The parking is in front of the hotel and is free of charge for all the guests.
There're also enough shops near the hotel.
I'm sure that we are going to stay again here when we arrive back in Heidelberg!

Doris Vasileva

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I realise that hot everyone will find the location convenient, but for us visiting our daughter who had been doing an intern job in nearby Waldorf, this proved excellent. Heidelberg is an expensive place to stay in Germany, so keeping the price down was important. Room very spacious, no charge for internet (that's not always the case) and good breakfast!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank mconnor042
Seattle
Reviewed June 27, 2011

I did not plan in advance, and found myself with little time to find a hotel in Heidelberg. Hotel Kranich was nice enough to have a room so I showed up the next day. I was given room 45 which is terrible. The ceiling is extremely low. I don't think it should be legal to have a ceiling so low. The bathroom was kind of gross too. I just felt so uncomfortable.

The breakfast was bad. I noticed however that German travelers were staying, and they seemed content.

I think my issue is mostly due to the room I had. The lady said that the other rooms were all full (only my room was designed for miniature people?). It also felt dirty but I did not get bed bugs. I did not sleep well.

I saw guests bring a large dog inside, I assume they were staying with their large dog in a room. If you are allergic to dogs, check in advance to find out if there are dogs here.

There is a creepy old mannequin in the lobby. Bad vibes here, I checked out early the next morning and will never return.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Oxford, England
Reviewed December 11, 2008

Found hotel on Heidelberg Tourist site. Emailed and asked for non smoking rooms. One of rooms booked smelt strongly of cigarette smoke. The breakfast room was the same. We saw staff on duty smoking in breakfast room, though thankfully not at breakfast time.
We had to walk through a small reception area to get to the breakfast room. In the morning there were 4 staff smoking and chatting as we walked through.
The staff were not friendly or welcoming. I do not believe one of them smiled in the 2 days we were there. They only spoke if spoken to and just ignored us.
All in all an awful experience.

• Liked — close to centre of Heidelberg: parking
  • Disliked — Staff: smoking issues
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends