“Good Hotel IF it's for you...”
Review of Altstadt Hotel

Altstadt Hotel
Ranked #62 of 76 Hotels in Heidelberg
Reviewed September 9, 2013

+ Clean, well-run, friendly, good central location, good working shower and decent size rooms.
- (depending on need): if you're driving there's no parking | if you need a good wifi connection you'll be frustrated | if you've heavy bags and/or you're less than fully mobile you'll notice steep stairs as there is no lift. In similar vein, there is no reception (there is a counter), nor lounge, but if these aspects don't bother you the plusses will outweigh what will seem to you incidental concerns.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank FESTEE

Reviewed September 22, 2012

we recently visited the city of heidleberg for a 5 day trip. this hotel is in a fantastic location for everything. it is in a quite side street off the old town. it is a small quite hotel and we rarely seen another guest. if you are looking for a hotel to spend a lot of time in then this is not for you as it doesnt have a bar or resturant of its own but as a base for exploring all heidleberg has to offer then it is perfect. it is clean and the breakfast is very good. the old town is full of bars and resturants and is a beautiful city to visit. i would deffinetly stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hotelspy1
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Personally I would ignore the negative comments from many on this hotel. We've had a great stay so far: great, clean room, which is actually quite large by European standards. It is very close to the central/old town while still being reasonably accessible. Breakfast is included and was very good.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sats36
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Usual small hotel situated in the middle of the city with expensive internet connection. (5 Euro/day).
Not bad food, no crew after 20.00.

But don't book this hotel if you want possibility of cancellation!
I Booked room, after that I felt ill and had to cancel my trip.
1) they blocked ALL sum in the card after booking
2) they didn't return money during cancellation according cancellation policy (one night payment for hotel, other - moneyback.). Honestly they didn't return money at all. So I have to fly to Heidelberg (!) after 10 days of illness and live there until end of my booking to avoid money problems with my company.
At the end of the trip they returned 50 % money for noshow period but I think it's not enough and it's not fair deal.

Room Tip: not under the ladder! it's awfully small
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank mor a
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I should have turned around and walked out when I was made to pay for the entire 2 week stay on arrival. Had I not been dead tired from jet lag, I would have. Insult #2 what that they would not take the corporate AMEX that I had used to hold the reservation. I had to use my personal MasterCard which later brought me some heat from my employer. Insult #3 was that the claimed to have not received the changes to the reservation that were sent (and verified) a week before and charged me for the night before my arrival and for one night after I was to depart. The "manager" was not available to make the change right then but I was assured that it would be fixed and credited. #4 was that I was given a room on the 4th floor. They had no elevator and offered no help in getting my bags to my room. the room had a south facing view which looked into other peoples homes and businesses and when the sun came up at 4:30 am, I realized that there were no shades and no way to keep the sun out. The reservation was not fixed and the manager was not available for the last 3 days of my stay so now we are fighting over the charges. Stay away from this place. It is a rip-off.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank SpecialK_NC
Reviewed December 8, 2010

what a dump. The staff was extremely rude and unfriendly. there is no staff after 8. the rooms are small. the maids woke us up to clean when we were jetlagged and needed sleep. they made a mistake in the reservation, and despite the fact that we had booked 8 people for 4 days, spending almost 2000 euros, they insisted on charging 20 extra euros because they had not made the correct reservation and there was only a double room for one person left. completely unprofessional, not business oriented at all. no elevators. petty with internet, making it difficult to impossible if you missed the hours that the staff worked, which were few. pompous, monolingual receptionist arguing with guests, quite unseemly. there is no place to hang out or meet people, the lobby is about 2 meters long and wide. they were disorganized, and did not reply to emails about crucial issues. we will never again use this hotel, and please take this advice and find someplace else to stay unless you are a masochist. oh, the breakfast was pretty good, but small compensation for the rest.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank bunnyhopkins
Reviewed October 7, 2010

My wife and i found this establesment a most depressing place. This is not a hotel, just a very poor guest house. No lift, terrible climb to top floor. Nobody will help you with your luggage. Inches of dust under our bed. Unfriendly and unhelpfull staff. Reception and breakfast room compare in size to a fone box. No reception after 8 pm. If you loose your key or leave it in your room and return after this time your in big trouble. We could not get a contact number for anybody. We could only get one key on check in. We were up early on the morning we were leaving. The greeting we got from the female staff member was ( Yere not getting breakfast now). The location is ideal.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple