“Lovely place but noisy”

Ranked #22 of 76 Hotels in Heidelberg
Northumberland
“Lovely place but noisy”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

What a great room - light, airy, bright and comfortable. However, the noise was incredible. In fairness if you are based on the main square and have such a great location then you need to expect noise -revellers all night and the church bells. Don't expect a good nights sleep. Food was fantastic. Service great. Wi fi didn't work. I would totally recommend - but take ear plugs!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank StevieC_8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Hotel is located right on the main square, its an easy to get to location via bus from the HBF or walking from the SBann. The hotel staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The room we had was quite large with a couch and a small table with chairs. Bathroom was well appointed and clean. The price was very good and the quality was excellent. This is definitely the place to stay in Heidelberg, you can easily walk from this hotel to all the main tourist sites and restaurants. However the food in the hotel restaurant was great so there is no need to go elsewhere. The breakfast buffet was very plentiful with lots of variety. Would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: We had a room that look up towards the old castle, I would suggest asking for a similar view. The ci...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We LOVED this hotel! Our room overlooked a square in the Old Town part of Heidelberg. The room was clean and comfortable, and accessible by elevator. The restaurant was outstanding---food, service, and atmosphere. We enjoyed our "included" breakfast with its wide variety of choices (cold), and also ate three other meals during our two night stay because the food was so good. I have to add that the owner was extremely helpful in getting us to the preferred parking lot---even going with my husband, in the car, to provide directions and assistance…

On the negative side---Wifi connection, although free, was unreliable. And the hotel was difficult to find, mainly because we didn't believe our GPS unit when it told us to turn left on what appeared to be a "pedestrians only" road. We should have trusted it…

Park in the P12 parking structure in order to get the hotel discount. But, you can drive directly to the front of the hotel to register and unload luggage first. Enter through the restaurant door and find registration area on the right side of the bar...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joyce M
Ickenham, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my family for one week and I am very happy to say that this Hotel was lovely, the staff were very friendly and were very kind. We stayed in a room on the fourth floor which was attic (I think) the low beams are a bit annoying but the room was clean. It had a nice warm feeling to it. The bed was lovely most conformable bed I have ever slept on in a hotel so that was bonus.

The location of the hotel was prefect! It had lots of things nearby so we could walk everywhere and explore the town. However my only complaint will be the noise coming from people in the streets in the early hours of the night it was really annoying but Heidelberg is truly an amazing city it is beautiful. I loved everything about it and this Hotel is wonderful.

Room Tip: I would choose a room with a view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Laylan F
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband, myself and daughter stayed here for 2 nights in April as part of our trip to Germany. The location was great, close to everything. The room was small but adequate for the 3 of us. Breakfast which was included was a buffet which was quite good. The staff were very friendly and even gave us free beers while we waited for our room to be ready as it was past the check- in time. My only complaint was the horrific street noise of people laughing and talking loudly at night into the early hours of the morning. The noise was coming from the street behind our room which apparently was where people walked at night. It was quite annoying as we couldn't keep the window open when it was hot due to the noise being even louder. Also there were bright street lights that shined in our room as there was a lack of darkening shades. So, if considering this hotel take these things into mind. Heidelberg is a lovely city but is a college town where the young are out late into the night. So beware of the possibility of some nightly revelry and noise!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Travlmom4
Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

2 nite stay in late April.Bit strange coming into restaurant to check in,but no big deal.Stayed in room on level 4, converted attic I guess and being 1.8m tall had a few bumps of the head on low beams before I remembered where they were.Room very comfortable and clean with separate lounge area which was a bonus.Friendly helpful staff who appeared to be enjoying what they do,so that was great to see.Located just inside the pedestrian area,but you can pull up outside hotel to check in,then park in parking P12 just 2-3 mins walk away.20% discount on parking from hotel,so get them to validate your ticket when you leave.No problem recommending this hotel and would most definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I spent just one night at the Hotel Goldener Falke as solo traveler when I was exploring Heidelburg. I selected the hotel based on a very positive review from Lonely Planet. I'm happy to say the hotel didn't disappoint and I would gladly return in the future.

Location was a primary consideration and you simply cannot go wrong at this hotel. The location on the main market square gives you front door access to a plethora of outdoor dining when the chairs are set up on the main square. As I arrived early on a sunday morning and left mid-day on monday I'm not sure which days of the week the main square is used for outdoor dining, but it was evident that on the sunny Sunday I was there that the square is full of sun seeking people out for eating and drinking.

I arrived before my room was ready. During business hours it's perfectly fine to come and go through the restaurant. I left my luggage behind the restaurant counter (high activity area=lots of monitoring of luggage) and set out to explore town for a few hours. The hotel is on Hauptstrasse, so to stroll the main pedestrian area of shops in Aldstadt just turn left and start walking. Location is a prime sell point of this hotel. But, when I came back to check-in and proceed to my room, I was pleasantly surprised to get a complimentary upgrade to a business level room. Room 14 has commanding first floor (or second floor as we'd stay in the States) views of the Market Square. Large windows equated to a very airy and open feel in the room. There was more than enough space for single traveler. The only cramped part of the room was the bathroom. However, the expanse of room space more than made up for that slight drawback. The night's rest was very comfortable.

The wifi didn't connect at first but after sometime when I did connect, the signal proved to be fine for the remainder of the stay. Also, the wifi is complimentary too as is the breakfast that's served in the hotel restaurant. It wouldn't be fair to comment on breakfast as I merely snagged a donut and a cookie on the way out the door in the morning.

In total, the Goldener Falke proved to be an excellent hotel. Without a doubt, I would go back. Being in the heart of the Aldstadt in Heidelburg is really where the action and the artifacts are. The hotel is just a block away from the steps to the Castle (or the station for the funicular railroad for that matter). The historic bridge is about two blocks away as well too.

In addition to my tip on the business center room I was awarded, the only other advice I would give visitors that are arriving by train is to strongly consider getting off at the Heidelberg Aldstadt S-Bahn station instead of the Main Hauptbahnhof IF traveling light and not averse to a short walk. On departure I walked from the the Goldener Falke to the Aldstadt train station in about 10 minutes, but I had just a single rolling bag. On the other hand, when I arrived in Heidelberg I disembarked my train at the Main Hauptbahhhof and I took a city bus (check with Tourist Info for the number or just follow the horde at the main train station) to the Rathhaus stop which is by the Kornmarkt. From that bus stop the hotel is only two blocks away. It's hardly inconvenient, but by taking the train directly to the Heidelberg-Aldstadt stop and walking to the hotel, surely I could have arrived at the hotel a few minutes sooner (and it's pretty walk to past the main gate and into the Aldstadt from the station)

In any case, this hotel is a great place to call home in Heidelberg.

Room Tip: Room 14 overlooking the market square provided excellent people watching on the square and thanks to...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo