“Clean, efficient, but expensive internet”
Review of NH Heidelberg

NH Heidelberg
Ranked #10 of 76 Hotels in Heidelberg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 8, 2012

The hotel is about a 7-minute walk to the high street and center of town and about a 5-minute walk in the other direction to the train station.

It compared to the other NH Hotel I stayed in in Cologne as it was clean and comfortable. In Cologne, though, we were able to use our computer in the lobby for free. In Heidelberg, they gave us codes that only worked for 30 minutes, and we couldn't get them to work on our computers. The codes did work on our iPod touch and U.S. iPhone, but only for 30 minutes.

I booked this hotel because I could use reward points at it from a hotel booking site (extra star rating above from me for NH's participation in it) and location was not critical for me. There are hotels that are closer to the high street and Bismarckplatz, which I would stay in if I was not using reward points and if they had free wi-fi.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,032)

Reviewed November 6, 2011

Loved this hotel! Wish we could have spent more than a night!

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed September 25, 2011

My stay at this hotel was arranged on a very short notice to attend a conference in Mannheim and the person responsible for booking thought it´d be nicer to stay in Heidelberg. Apart from having to commute to Mannheim and back to Heidelberg I did enjoy my stay.

Check-in was a breeze. Unfortunately the front desk person "forgot" to tell me that the hotel has been built into to pre-existing buildings (one a former brewery) connected by the hotel´s lobby (a former courtyard). Well, this should not be a problem, had their not been elevators on each side of the lobby. All instruction I had received was to go "over there to the elevators" - unbeknownst to me both buildings are not connected above the lobby level and I tried to reach fifth floor twice by using the elevators which only served four floors, even though I once returned to the reception. Only after I returned the second time I was shown to another set of elevators (RIGHT NEXT to the reception!).
Apart from this liitle hickup in the beginning

The room (located on the fifth floor looking north over Heidelberg) was very light, clean, cleanly designed and I especially liked the comfy kickback chair and bed.

Unfortunately I did not get a chance to taste the breakfast buffet as I was on a very tight schedule, nor did I use the bar or attached restaurant, so I cannot on comment on that.

Internet usage / WiFi was very expensive (10 or 15 €/day, as far as I remember), but I had my own UMTS usb modem with me.

The hotel is located a 5-10 min. walk from the riverfront and the old town district as well, so it would have been suited quite well had I stayed as a tourist. Heidelberg train station is a 10 min. walk or 2 min. drive away.

To sum it all up:
- quick & friendly check in
- signage / instructions at check in could be improved
- nice, light rooms
- expensive wifi
- location close to tourist attractions

Room Tip: Rooms above 4th floor show either nice city or river views as you are above surrounding buildings.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 28, 2011

we've booked a suite in this great hotel and when we've arrived we were surprised to find out that it also included free minibar with miniral water, wine and champane. This place looks very modern, the stuff is always ready to help, to find you great recommendations for the city attractions, restaurants and things to do. It's a 15 minutes walk from the city center,there are 2 restaurants very close to the hotel- the Merlin, with it's great happy hour reduced menu, and the Thanners. Heildelberg has enormous number of great places to eat, great fun to see them all. We definetely recomment this hotel. The parking is about 10 eut per night

Room Tip: We suggest to book the early birds promotion using the hotel website, it's very good value
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I have visited this hotel several times. At the beginning it was an excellent hotel, newly renovated, not far away from the center, and not too expensive.
Obviously, they made a lot of money and thought this would continue without any need to stay at a high quality level.
I woud say in the past year or even just in the past months this hotel has lost all its benefits.
The rooms are unbelievable (it seems as if they had never been renovated), the cleanliness has dropped, the service is very bad (unexperienced, unpolite, not willing to do anything for the customers), and it is too expensive.

Just an example:
Don´t be surprised if you don´t get a parking site. It is an official parking garage (although it looks as if it belongs to NH), and the girl at the reception desk became angry when I asked for a parking site - "didn´t you see that it is an official garage?" - How could I dare to ask...

I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed overnight here and appreciated the easy access to the hotel and the excellent and helpful staff. The tram and bus stops were within a 5 minute walk of the hotel, and the area was quiet at night. The hotel is an interesting mix of old and new architecture, and the rooms are modern and comfortable. The lobby has a business feel about it, so don't stay here if you are looking for a traditional experience. However, what we really appreciated was the extra effort the staff made to help us (we had car trouble and needed a garage, and they were very helpful in making sure we knew how to get there and the closing time). We chose not to eat breakfast here, but walked a couple of minutes to a bakery/coffee shop in the neighborhood. I would recommend this hotel for families with older children or for groups (the Swedish Women's team was staying here at the same time we were), but probably not for a romantic getaway or for those who are uncomfortable using public transport in a foreign city. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2011

I stayed at the hotel as part of a trip through Germany. The location is great, a quite spot just 10 minutes walk from the chaos of the Old Town. The room was ok, a little drab and in need of sprucing up. The air conditioning is not great. We just opened up the window. The rooms are quite large, but nothing special. The bathroom was average with fantastic water pressure. Breakfast was included in the rate and was fine, European and English well catered for. The hotel has an on site parking garage (12€ per night), but it is public so was always full when we wanted it. Just drive 2 blocks down and there is parking at the library. Free internet is available in the lobby but not in the rooms. Heidelberg is a beautiful town and a must see. The Old Town, Schloss and river are all lovely. If i was to come again i would try somewhere different to stay.

Room Tip: Away from direct sunlight in summer
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple