“Very happy with the hotel, some issues with service”
Review of Bayrischer Hof

Bayrischer Hof
Ranked #25 of 76 Hotels in Heidelberg
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Me and my sister stayed here at the end of our 2 and a half week European tour. After a 20 min walk from the railway station, we found the hotel with little difficulties. Had a lovely welcome with complimentary bubbly. A very pleasant surprise was the room. It was huge, and beautifully furnished. The beds had two different sized pillows, very appreciated by me wanting a flat one and my sis who pretty much builds a fort every night. The bathroom was great, big, comfy and well lit. Perfect for beautifying sessions, as we were to take part in the annual Vampire Ball.

The hotel is nicely located for the old town. And I am sure much more affordable than those inside it too. It takes some 20 minutes to walk through the whole old town, the main street really is quite long. Our event was at the town hall, some 10 minutes (15 in heels!) away.

Only complaints I really have were the misunderstandings with breakfast and check out. The room had a nice letter recommending the breakfast hot chocolate. After such a long travel I seriously had forgotten which hotels included breakfast and which didn't, and as the only thing the reception lady said was the time, I assumed it was included this time too. Well, it was great indeed, no question of that. Lovely buffet with local offerings, especially nice were the pretzels and indeed the hot chocolate. Of course, once we checked out I realised it wasn't included in the price and that was a bit of a let-down as you may imagine. Also, when checking out, the receptionist couldn't make my credit card work. Instead of retrying with another machine that her co-worker offered she demanded another card (which also didn't work) and I felt I was being accused of not being able to pay. We finally convinced her to try the other reader, and behold, the first card was fine. Silly things like this happen, I know, but it's a sour end to a nice stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed here for the third time and with each visit the service and facilities improve. The breakfast room downstairs is a new and very welcome addition. There's a little outdoor terrace I don't remember seeing on earlier trips, but as it attracts smokers it's not very attractive (unless you are a smoker of course). A clever twist on breakfast is a daily extra - such as pancakes or smoked salmon. The standard offer is very good indeed, but the extra twist of something special is neat.

What is really special is the service. All the staff are professionals in training and it shows in their willingness to get things right and to go the extra mile. I personally gain a great deal from knowing they are learning with real clients and real time and I've played a tiny part in their development. The help I received from reception in sorting out a ridiculously complex train journey was superb.

It is in a great location (Bismarckplatz) and strolling distance from the old town. The central location does mean that it can be noisy and because there is no air con if you sleep with the window open that of course makes it worse. But this wasn't really a problem for me. Wifi reception is patchy, and seems worse on the upper floors and at the back of the building. Again, not a big problem as there are plenty of odd spots to settle in for an internet session.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I'd booked Hotel Bayrischer over the Internet seeing the pix & the location but though the staff is very nice, the place is not worth much. I wouldn't recommend it to people who want to have their money's worth. First I'd to wait for the room as it wasn't ready despite being Pre-booked. I instead of waiting in the ill furnished lobby opted to go around. To my annoyance, when I came back after five hours, the receptionist wasn't sure about my room and I'd to wait for another 15/20 minutes. Even than all i got was an attic like room.
Location however is very good but so is of a number of other hotels nearby.
The hotel people do recommend an Irish pub in vicinity but that too is not worth a try.
The hotel has a "Trio Advisor" sticker on its door. I don't think it's well-deserved

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Azher_Ali_Choudhry
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Despite visiting Heidelberg on a business trip, I wanted to stay somewhere with character and easy walking distance to the old town - and chose Bayrischer Hof for this reason. I wasn't disappointed - it is located in Bismarckplatz - the central square (with lots of tram stops and big department stores), at the edge of the pedestrian-focused old city shopping area. The one difficulty with location is that this area is a good 15-20 minutes (walking) from the train station, so if you're arriving to HBG by train (e.g. from Frankfurt / airport) then plan on finding the tram that goes to Bismarckplatz or take a taxi (esp. with your bags).

The best parts of the hotel experience, after finally finding the welcoming sign on the building - was the friendly young staff at the front desk. They all spoke good English, made check-in easy, provided the codes for Internet wifi access (free), and even a glass of the local sparkling wine (which helped after a 24+ hour flight and train from the US).

The elevator is a bit small but takes you to a fairly large room, sparsely furnished but clean and simple. The two twin-beds were a bit hard and the heating (given this was a cold time to visit) didn't work that well - so it took a while to warm up. My room faced the square but 'crowd-noise' wasn't a problem. There were coffee and teas provided as well as basic TV.

On check-out they easily kept my bags while I spent more time walking up the Philosopher's Way to get great views of the town. Overall, I would recommend the hotel, esp. for good value given the central location and English-speaking friendly staff.

Room Tip: If you're worried about noise from the busy square, ask for a room that doesn't face it - bu...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I was there for a couple of days. I often go to heidelberg but I had never been in this hotel before. I tried it, following trip advisor reviews. I was very nicely surprised. It has been reniewed in 2008, personnel is amazingly nice, breakfast is excellent, room was large and comfortable. The moquette in the room was not amazingly clean but the room was very clean. No noise at all. The only annoying thing is that check in is at 16; however, I went there in the morning and after ten minutes I did get my room anyway. Internet connection was working very well and it's free. You can keep your luggage at the reception if needed.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The location is perfect, every single detail is taken care of, they even provide ear plugs.
We stayed there just one night for pleasure, but this hotel is also prepared for business purposes.
The breakfast is really good, they also have a chef on site preparing french toasts.
The staff was really friendly, internet connection was perfect.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Betanita
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in late December.The hotel staff were more than helpful and all were very pleasant.The breakfast was very good.The location is excellent ,local buses and trams are just across the road.The old part of the town is also just across the road.The standard of the room was also very high.Walking distance to every thing that you will probably want to see.
All in all a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple