“Must see place Heidelberg”

Heidelberg Castle (Schloss Heidelberg)
Book In Advance
Heidelberg and Rothenburg Day Trip from Frankfurt
Ranked #1 of 98 things to do in Heidelberg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Construction on this regal castle, the symbolic heart of the city, began in the early 1300s.
Reviewed July 26, 2014

One of the very good castles in Germany. We managed to see it despite heavy rain.

Also the biggest wine barrel is a must see item.

Only bad thing is they allow to see some places if you take a guided tour which is not fair

Reviewed July 25, 2014

First things first; we recommend you to buy Heidelberg card. You´ll have an opportunity to travel with trams, busses and funicular. You also get discount to museums etc.
Take the funicular to the castle and buy a audio guide from visitors center. If you want, you may take a guided tour, that also takes you to inside of the castle, but we found this audio tour quite enough for us.
Castle is an interesting mixture of different eras, nothing we ever saw before. Don´t let the fact that it is mostly ruined to let you think there in nothing to see. There is plenty! Pharmacy museum is worth of visiting and also the wine cellar. There you´ll find a bar and you may taste local wines and have a little brake go the tour. It took about 3 hours to walk around castle area.
Also great panoramic view of the town!

2  Thank JaJuVantaa
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

After arriving at the hotel, due to the 8-9 hours of traveling, the best way to keep with the jet lag, was walking to the castle.
You can take the train or walk, I choose 2nd option this time. The Castle itself, the huge wine barrel, the garden and walking around (guided tours available also), ending with a great view over the city and the river Neckar it's worth experiencing while in Heidelberg.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

I had a long flight layover (almost 24 hours) at Frankfurt Airport so I decided to go out and visit Heidelberg. There are tour available from the airport at a fixed time (one in the morning and one in the evening) but since I got lots of time I decided to take train by myself. I took the ICE train (bahn) from the airport to Heidelberg. You will have to change train once at Mannheim but it's not confusing at all just make sure you went to the right platform (gleis).

I bought the heidelberg card which included pass to visit the schloss. Take note that the pass does not include train to the top of the mountain (different ticket). I didn't bother to go to the top since the view from the castle is breathtaking enough.
Took the guided tour at the castle. It was worth it, the guide was really informative and pointed a lot of things/info that I will miss if I tour the castle by myself. There was a group picture at the end of the tour and you can buy the picture if you want.
The castle ground area was really wide and it was a nice area to enjoy the sun and get a tan!
I was lucky it was first Saturday in June where there have fireworks and festival in remembrance of the time the Castle was burnt in 1600's. They only do the festival thrice a year. Be sure to sit on the opposite side of the castle across the bridge where you will get a full view of the castle while enjoying the fireworks.

This is a good website to check out as guide to heidelberg: http://www.e-heidelberg.com/attractions/ . The heidelberg card was 12euro not 10euro like the website says. It was worth it to use the card to go around the city.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

we hiked up to the castle (about 350 steps) thinking we could save money, but the castle price actually includes the trains so you might as well take it unless you want some exercise! (there's not much to see during the climb)
The castle offers 2 tours - don't get caught out. we took the audio tour as we didn't want to wait an hour for the next guided tour, but discovered too late that we couldn't only access the castle plaza, and not walk through the ruin! so definitely get the guide. it would have been nice if the helpdesk had told us...
The audio tour is still good (you can even share one if on a budget) it tells you alot about the family who lived here, the lovely Elisabeth gate, the fire, and the architects involved. it also takes you to the gardens where you can see over Heidelberg.
There's not much food/drink except a hotdog and Perkeo's wine tasting so plan your visit before/after lunch but there's toilets which are kept clean.
You can take the train one stop higher for free and then pay a bit extra to take the old train to the very top of the mountain. it was too cloudy to be worth a visit but i would do it if sunny.