“Hearty German grub”

Dining options: Reservations
London
“Hearty German grub”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

The manager at Hotel Adler, where we stayed, recommended Pfaff and Lilie restaurants as we wanted to try German food instead of visiting one of the Italian restaurants in the town. The menu at Pfaff seemed quite touristy and I'm glad we ended up in Lilie. They have a cafe part which you entered from the entrance on the main road, but we had to enter via the side of the building.
The place is amazing inside, like a chalet/grotto. The ceiling is painted like a sky with lights, and there are various stuffed animals and skulls hanging on the walls. We went on a Sunday night and it was not busy and the service was good. The waiter was very friendly and was speaking to us in German even though we couldn't understand.
He brought us an appetiser, which was like pork rillette, but it was quite cloying and dried up the inside of your mouth. It was really tasty though as it seemed to be made of smoked pork.
The food was reasonably priced and the portions were quite big. They were cooked well and were very tasty.
Having had our fair share of cake at Cafe Schaefer ealier on, we skipped dessert but finished with a round of schnapps. It was a really nice place to go to unwind and have dinner.

• Visited February 2014

• Turkish first
Austin, Texas
“Patio by the Falls”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

This is the best place to have lunch, a great dunkel bier, and watch the people passing by. The Landgasthof has a patio right on the creek that comes out of the falls above. The walkway to the falls is just on the other side of the creek from here. I walked the falls while several others in our group waited here and had lunch. When I returned about an hour later, I joined the group for one last beer before heading out of town. This is a great anchor location for a group to use as a meeting place.

The one negative about this place is the service. These people really are not service minded. They have their own time frame and you get served when they find the time.

• Visited September 2013
Tallahassee, Florida
“Delicious!”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Had lunch here after visiting the waterfall. Because it's right in the middle of all the souvenir shops and attractions, I imagine that it's probably considered "touristy." However, I thought the meal was one of the best we had on our trip around the Schwarzwald. Most of the restaurants in the area had English menus, including this one, so that was helpful. I ordered the sausage with sauerkraut, which came with fried potatoes. Everything was delicious. Service was good as well. There was also a case filled with baked goods, which we didn't try, but everything looked great. Would highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited December 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
“Great food”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We had the half baked chicken and salads which were great. Service was also very good. Restaurant is in middle of town by the falls and Ollie's clocks. There are a lot of tourist shops nearby.

Visited October 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
“Cozy Place”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

It's a nice restaurant in Triberg, one of the obvious choice to go. The restaurant is quite big, with lots of nice lights outside. The food was quite good, and the desserts were just okay. I wanted to try their 'original black forest cake', but was dissapointed with the look and the taste. It has 3 layers of cake with light color in the middle (in the menu card, the picture showed dark colored cake as I know of a normal black forest cake), and it soaked with rum. I couldn't even finish it because all I can taste was the alcohol. Maybe that was the original taste of black forest cake, I don't know, but I don't like it. The food were okay though, and it was quite cozy inside.

• Visited October 2013