“Lovely!”

Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Freudenstadt
Petersfield, United Kingdom
“Lovely!”
Reviewed August 24, 2014

Absolutely fantastic hotel - so quiet, comfy and clean. Stayed here the first night of our walking holiday, before setting off on a 120k walk over 6 days in the Schwarzwald, and then we stayed again, after the last day of walking. Everyone so friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Travellercaroline

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 24, 2014

It was my worst travel experience in my entire life! I spend a lot of time traveling for both business and pleasure, but I have never been
treated so disrespectfully in my entire life like in this hotel! I have never felt more humiliated than here! The place is grossly out of date; the carpet smells badly both in the room and on the balcony. The matrasses on the beds are old, but this is not the end of the story. We made our reservation 6 month in advance for three nights. We came around 6-7pm, tired, driving all day long and asked a salad platter (nothing else was available for the room service) from the restaurant, and even that was never delivered. I asked a receptionist about an Internet service and I was provided with the very complicated Wi-Fi code. However there was no connection in the rooms, only in the lobby. I went to the receptionist again, he was very surprised about lack of connection and suggested I to talk to the receptionist in the morning. This is very unusual for the 4 Star hotel in Germany.
Next morning I went to a receptionist asking to fix the problem with the connectivity. He responded even before I finished a sentence: “Nothing I can do for you, I am not the electrician!” He repeated it several times. I simply replied that such rudeness was highly unusual for the hotel in Germany and that I would, probably, leave my comments on the Trip Advisor or Booking, and than I asked to speak to the owner of the hotel. His first response was that the owner was out of the hotel, but than he changed his mind and called the owner. They did not know that I was fluent in German and they spoke very disrespectfully about me behind my back. The clerk told the owner that I was threatening him with the review about the hotel service and it was time gets rid of me.
Mr. Kaltenbach (the owner) turned around and said that I had one hour to leave, otherwise he would call police.
Sure enough, five minutes later a service lady knocked in our room with a question can she start cleaning? And finally, when I went to the receptionist to pay for the hotel, same clerk was trying to cheat on me, charging 75 Euros more, over the price the hotel quoted me and confirmed via email for both rooms. I unpacked my luggage; pull out the printout of the email confirmation, that hotel emailed me and only after that he agreed on the price.
Lovely experience!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
16 Thank YUBRICK
Langenwaldsee, Praktikant at Hotel Langenwaldsee, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Yubrick,

I apologize in forward for my english quality!

It is sad to hear that the place did not fulfill your wishes..
You have to know that keeping the rooms in an old style was a decision of us, because many people like it. It gives something authentic and comfortable! And we rarely hear that it smell bad, but when we do we find a solution by changing the rooms or calling the cleaning staff.
But we also do have new rooms, which are more up-to-date, and that could complete your wishes.

Concerning the meal, normally you can order till 8.30 PM (most clients are eating at this time), so if we were out of food it is an isolated case and we apologize again for this... But it never happened that we were out of food!

For the internet connection it happened sometimes that it do not work.. Mostly we find a solution to repair it. We bought our own internet cable so that the internet availability has grown. Unfortunately it still happens that there is a lack of connection, and it is true that we have to wait for the electrician if we can not fix it ourselves..

And finally concerning the way we treated you we have no excuses about it, and again we apologize for this. We speak regularely with our staff and theach them complain-management.

We hope you will have a good day
Kind regards

Your Kaltenbach Family!
Maceio, AL
Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

This place is out of date, including the rude service received when asking for the internet code at the front desk. The duty officer would only give 1 code for 1 device and asked me if I have was crazy when I told him we carry 4 and would appreciate more. When I told him I took offense, there was a shrug rather than an apology. This is not how you treat your guests, let alone when you charge them Europe 175 per room. Anyway, no dinner here tonight.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank PaulBeijer
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We recently spend a weekend here with a group of aircooled Porsche fans..
The hotel, a bit worn on the edges(but charming) lies in the middle of a complete oasis away from any worldly noices. Reception is courteous and above all friendly. We enjoyed a room with terrace and view to the "lake", unfortunately the weather didn'y permit us to make much use of it..
We bought in "Halb Pension"(including a main meal) and very much enjoyed at a rather reasonable price. The hotel also a wellness facility(even a pool I think), which unfortunately we didn't use, as we were on tight schedule to get to know a bit of the Black Forest nearby.
Definitely recommendable, although not your most "economic" as far as the rooms are concerned.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Biancofreddo
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has the most beautiful setting directly on a picturesque lake amidst the black forest. Walking paths lead gently up to the mountain top. The city center is within easy reach by car. The hotel has a spa and indoor pool. The rooms are good-sized and well appointed with personal touches throughout. Rooms facing the lake are very quiet,  have balconies and are inviting to relax. Rooms facing the parking lot and street are a bit less quiet but have balconies as well. The breakfast buffet is wonderful and offers a very large variety of cheeses, meats, smoked fishes, breads, eggs, fresh fruits, yogurts, cereals, and much more. Delicious lunch and dinner menu is offered as well as home-baked cakes. Outside dining on a terrace overlooking the lake or inside dining are available. The staff is very friendly and welcoming. Worth to know is that the hotel does not have an elevator and although there are not a ton of stairs there are a few. The rooms are also not air-conditioned. We thoroughly enjoyedThis hotel has the most beautiful setting directly on a picturesque lake amidst the black forest. Walking paths lead gently up to the mountain top. The city center is within easy reach by car. The hotel has a spa and indoor pool. The rooms are good-sized and well appointed with personal touches throughout. Rooms facing the lake are very quiet,  have balconies and are inviting to relax. Rooms facing the parking lot and street are a bit less quiet but have balconies as well. The breakfast buffet is wonderful and offers a very large variety of cheeses, meats, smoked fishes, breads, eggs, fresh fruits, yogurts, cereals, and much more. Delicious lunch and dinner menu is offered as well as home-baked cakes. Outside sitting on a terrace overlooking the lake or inside dining are available. The staff is very friendly and welcoming. Worth to know is that the hotel does not have an elevator and although there are not a ton of stairs there are a few. The rooms are not air-conditioned. We thoroughly enjoyed staying here and would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Mianne109
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We were lucky to stop over and check whether they had vacancy. A beautiful place! Very good location near by Freudenstadt at the Black Forest. The rooms are classic and spacious. A beautiful small lake just behind the property. The breakfast restaurant is overlooking the lake with its ducks and swans. Breakfast was generous and offered a remarkable choice of gourmet cheese, cold cuts, jams fruits, and various bakery items. The best yet was the restaurant for dinner which offered classic dishes along with hunting ones. A great experience!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Have overnighted at this hotel many times and had such a wonderful welcome that stayed for a week this time.Owners and staff very friendly and helpful, rooms spacious and comfortable. Excellent restaurant, beautiful setting and good spa with a lovely pool. Nicely situated for exploring the region. Great forest walks right on your doorstep with easy access to the town by foot, public transport or car. Dog friendly.

A truely great place to stay for anyone wishing to visit the Black Forest region.

Room Tip: All rooms we have had have been to a good standard but I particularly like the ones overlooking the...