“Noisy, small room and small bed, too expensive”

Hotel Barbara Garni
Reviewed June 4, 2010

we couldn't sleep, because it is noisy.
room is too small like a single room.
prise is too expensive even if it's so small room as single room.
bed is too small, too.
drier is too small.
curtain are dirty.
dust on the heater, around window and so on.
toilet smells bad
receptionist can't speak english well.
breakfast room is small.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank rei_10
inesdold, Manager at Hotel Barbara Garni, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2010

This rating is not acceptable. We are a city hotel in a small side street. In a few steps are the guests in the old town, theater and other interesting places in the city Freiburg. It may be that residents or visitors to park on the street. This is usual in a city hotel and does not make much noise, but the guest is right in town. Our rooms have a comfortable standard of a 3 star hotel and therefore the corresponding room size. Our rates are often lower than in comparable hotels and not too expensive, it is easy to check. The location is absolutely top and this is important during the rating. Regarding cleanliness, breakfast and service, we usually get top marks. This can be found in many ratings on other platforms. Our employees care much about the guests. We had guests from these suspicions, feel that it is not good, and asked about whether we can do something for them (in good English). The younger woman spoke not a word, and the older woman said: "It's all right, my daughter is a little difficult. It has also not asked for an alternative room. We would have these guests stay made more pleasant, but we did not know their problem.

Reviewed June 2, 2010

Can't sleep
The worst place of 119euro. Me and my mother stayed the room for three nights. the building is too old to protect us from noise. the door of the entrance door and others make so big noise. The noises waked me and her up so many times in midnight. Disaster I could't sleep, so caught a cold. If I didn't stayed such a horrible place, I couldn't have caught a cold and could have spend time for sight seeing.
I spend in my bed almost all day and I was cheated 360euro. It's enough fo 60euro per nights.
So small room like single room .about 30 euro.
I can't believe it is 119euro per night.
Breakfast room is small and breakfast made me disappointed.
one bob haired receptionist is bad behavior.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank kiki055

Reviewed January 6, 2010

We, as a family of four stayed at this hotel for five nights just before Christmas. The location is great, as it is close to the station, restaurants & to the main shopping area. The street that the hotel is in was very quiet, perhaps this was the case due to it being winter and snowy! The one room had a balcony , which would be nice in summer. Because it was snowing, we weren't really able to make much use of it!

We found the room to be cold on arriving back after a day's outing, as the heating was turned off in our absence during the day. The floorboards creak when walked on, which was disturbing when guests above the room walk around during the night! The mattresses were pretty uncomfortable, but there was an improvement when turned around!

The staff were friendly and the breakfasts were more than adequate, with a selection of cereals, fruit, cheeses, cold meats, breads, rolls and a boiled egg also offered.

We found a great Italian restaurant (Casanova) on the corner of the same street as the hotel, with an extremely friendly owner, offering superb food at reasonable prices!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Michele6
Reviewed July 29, 2009

I found the hotel at a side street. The hotel does not have a regular hotel front entrance, it was like entering somebody's apartment building. Upon entering, you find a tiny reception desk. I was given a room right at the stairway, which was claimed to be only room left even though I arrived at 4 pm. The room was very primitive, and obviously very noisy when people walk up and down on the old staircase (there is no elevators). I complained to the manager, but the lady was kind of rude. She does not seem to like foreigners or English speaking people. That stay made my trip to Freiburg unpleasant.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
5  Thank hhp
inesdold, Manager at Hotel Barbara Garni, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2010

Hotel Barbara is a private, historic and landmarked city hotel in a small side street; photos you can see on our Web site. Even facilities in the inner area, for example the historical spiral staircase, a listed monument. The house is one of the most beautiful buildings in Freiburg. Meanwhile, we have a new garden in the courtyard, for example, to have breakfast there, which increases the attractiveness of the house again. These are features that our guests appreciate very much. Would prefer to score big entry portals and hotel lobbies, then there are hotels nearby that meet these criteria. Our rooms are classically furnished and have WC, shower (sometimes bathroom), minibar, cable TV (flat screen), telephone and wireless LAN, which is more comfortable three-star standard. Our guests are very international, it is always our goal, to inspire the foreign visitors in our hotel. We will do everything to achieve this goal.

Reviewed June 2, 2009

I stayed at this hotel while visiting my son, who is studying at the University in Freiburg. It is in an excellent location just 3 blocks from the main train station with easy access to trams etc. The staff was friendly and always helpful. The breakfast was plentiful with cereal, breads, cheeses, meats, yogurt etc. My room was spacious with two twin beds, a pullout couch and another couch. I would not hesitate to stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank ellie1NorthCarolina
Reviewed May 31, 2009

I stayed here for two nights, in a room right above the entrance. The weather was warm, so I wanted to have my windows open. Unfortunately, there was a lot of street noise and I didn't sleep well. Even for a singe room, it was very small. (I had to move the bed in order to have room for my yoga mat, this usually isn't a problem in German hotels.) The breakfast was disappointing and the breakfast room was too small for the number of guests. I had to wait for a place both mornings. I agree with the other reviews that say the location is good, it is! Might be a better option in the winter/off season.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank SeamusUsa

The Hotel Barbara is a city hotel in a small side street. In a few steps are the guests in the old town, theater and other interesting places in the city Freiburg. It is possible that residents and visitors park on the street. This is usual in a city hotel and does not make much noise, but the guest is right in town. Meanwhile, we have fans in every room, so that in summer the window can be closed at night. If you want an absolutely quiet room should be an early booking with the words "Innenhof" make. Our breakfast buffet is very appreciated by our guests, but unfortunately this guest does not communicate his expectations. We have also created additional seats. In fine weather guests can have breakfast in the newly designed garden.

Reviewed November 26, 2006

Ive just returned from a 3 night break here. I wasn't worried about the hotel being horrible because they have a lovely website and I had emailed them several times before arriving and they were swift and helpful in their replies, which to me always shows a good and popular business. The hotel is in a great location, just 3 minutes walk from the train/coach station. If you fly into Basel/Mulhouse like we did it's very easy to get an airport coach from the airport straight into freiburg, they run about every hour, cost 16 euros single per adult and take about 50 mins. The room we had was a triple for 3 adults and was spacious and clean with maid service everyday, cost 119 euros a night inc breakfast, I booked directly with the hotel. The room had a minibar, tv, hairdryer and a pretty new looking bathroom, towles and soap/shower gel included. Beds were really comfy and the bedding was like a duckdown variety, if it wasn't for the great breakfast you mayb tempted for a lie in!. The breakfast was served from 7am til 10am which was great! its a very small breakfast room but its quite a small hotel so most mornings we ate with just one other table. On our first morning a man greeted us and showed us our table which we kept for the duration, he offerd us tea or coffee and a boiled egg!!! the rest you help yourselves to, rolls, bread, jams, cheese, hams, fruit, yogurt and cereal, it was lovely and the staff do speak enough english to get you by if you don't speak German. There is a supermarket opposite and the town is just 5 mins walk. Its pretty big really, lots of shops and bars, not much else though really, it would be great to go when its snowing to ski, its not a big ski resort about 1300m but its enough especially good for beginners. Ive never seen so much chocolate, booze and stuff to eat in all my life, it was great!. There are trams everywhere, not really any cars are allowed through the town, but we just walked everywhere anyway. The market place is lovely, the catherdral is in the square and you can go in for free and walk right to the top for 2 euros which had great views of the town. The market place has lots of stalls full with goodies, sausages by the boat load, fresh friut & veggies, crafts, candles, honey and when we were there lots of christmas bits, it really is lovely...but its pretty much same everyday. The hotel will give you a key and you can come and go as you please, we paid on the 2nd day but they didn't ask, you can pay on departure if you like. I must admit the hotel didn't look as bright as the website but we weren't dissapointed and it was really good value for the breakfast and location alone!. I would deffinatley book the Hotel Barbara again if I vistited Freiburg again. Enjoy!.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with friends