Trying to get to the hotel was challenging - We had a sat nav, had downloaded the map and instructions from the hotel and we still managed to fail to find it. After calling them a couple of times we finally got there. The thing is, to get there you need to drive right across Munsterplatz which will earn you LOTS of dirty looks but apparently is completely legal and the only way for you to get to the hotel.
Anyway we got there and the car park was full so we had to park in a covered car park nearby which the hotel has an arrangement with and which was fine - not too far. Remember to get a voucher from the hotel which ensures you pay a fixed amount per day before removing your car or you might end up with a hefty bill.
Our room was above the Oberkirche restaurant walking distance away, and not where the lobby was. I suspect the rooms in the main building have been refurbished as they have wifi but the one we were put in did not. The room we had was oddly shaped, long and rectangular culminating in a million dollar view of the Munster. We could sit there all day at the window just looking out at the scene before us.
The room itself was very simple and quite nondescript. It got quite hot in there during the day but they supply a fan; at night we kept the window open (the noise from the restaurant below was bearable and stopped when it closed but the bells from the church go on all night and go crazy in the mornings - I liked it but I can imagine there might be people who wouldn't.)
The bathroom was a decent size and came with a bath and shower.
Breakfast was lovely - you have it in the restaurant downstairs and you can sit outside in the spill out area.
A lovely little hotel with history - it was worth it for the view alone but the rooms really could do with some freshening up.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This historic, privately run hotel in Freiburg’s old quarter is located in the heart of the pedestrian area, directly opposite the famous cathedral. It serves delicious regional cuisine.The Hotel Oberkirch provides traditionally designed rooms with en-suite facilities.A colourful range of shops, cafés and restaurants are just a short stroll away.Treat yourself to seasonal delights and Baden specialities in the Oberkirch’s widely appreciated restaurant. Make sure to try the local wines on offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Hotel Oberkirch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oberkirch Hotel Freiburg Im Breisgau
- Hotel Oberkirch Germany/Freiburg Im Breisgau, Baden-Wurttemberg