“Wonderful hotel”

Hotel Oberkirch
Oregon
“Wonderful hotel”
Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in the part of the hotel that was not facing the Munster Plaza, and we were very happy. It was lovely to come into the room and have a small table and chairs with a plate of fresh fruit. We luckily had a corner room and could look out the window and gaze down the street, which was a treat. Sometimes we could hear music from an outdoor band playing down the street in good weather, and we enjoyed that. The room was very comfortable and clean. The breakfast was excellent. Location in the center of town was perfect, although along with that it was somewhat noisy from the street if we had our windows open. There was no air conditioning, so it did get quite warm and having the windows open helped.

Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed here 2 nights in October. The location is great in the center of the old city right next to the cathedral. The service is impeccable. The staff were very friendly and attentive to all of our needs. Our nicely decorated room looked out on the cathedral square and was a real dream, even for the extra cost. Most of the hotel rooms are located on a busy back street a block away. limited parking is available but there is a public parking garage just 5 minutes walk away for 10€ a day. A popular restaurant is downstairs in the building on the square. Reservations recommended. Breakfast was plentiful and delicious. A minor complaint was that wifi service was intermittent. Recommended.

Room Tip: I would get a room facing the cathedral if possible. The view is incredible!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Whitefish, Montana
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This hotel is situated in the interior of the old town in Freiburg. Part of the hotel overlooks the Munster Platz with the magnificent Freiburg Cathedral as the focal point. At first glance, the hotel looks great – a centuries old building, with hallways and room shapes derived from the antiquity of the building. It is charming in that typically old German way. The front desk staff were very pleasant. The location was superb!

But, after a stay here, I cannot recommend it to anyone. It is not like everything is wrong, but nothing I wanted was available. Firstly, they do not have wireless Internet. Hard to believe in the 21st century. They do offer “wired” Internet in the rooms, and wireless Internet is the very small lobby. Why would they design such a system? I never realized, until this hotel stay, how important the Internet was to me for planning and communicating. At the Oberkirch, I had to get dressed, scoop up my papers and go to the lobby to use the computer. There was no place in the lobby to do this. There was a table with newspapers neatly stacked – so it was possible to move the papers, turn the chair 90 degrees and use that work space – but it had no comfort, and the lobby was so small that you felt as if you were “on display.” And only one at a time could do this. Otherwise, you sat on one of the few lobby chairs and balanced the computer in your lap. Very unacceptable for these modern times. And the lobby can fill with people checking out and checking in. At those times, there is absolutely no privacy and the noise and commotion are very distracting.

I can only speak for the room I occupied, Number 32. It was above the lobby, on the Schuster Strasse side of the hotel. Schuster Strasse is a very busy pedestrian zone, and the noise all night long is amazing. The hotel understands this, as they provide a little package of ear-plugs on the nightstand by the bed. The room was old and squeaky, and the carpet needed replacement – but there was a certain charm to it. The bathroom was modern, very clean, and more than functional

To access the restaurant (and breakfast room), one had to leave the hotel, go outside and around the block thru a very narrow alley way. The restaurant fronts the Munster Platz and is very well located for that reason, but badly located for hotel guests. Going outside to get to it is more or less OK in good weather – but not in the rain, snow and/or cold. I would hate having to get suited up just to go to breakfast. The breakfast room for the hotel occupies the interior part of the restaurant itself. There are few tables, but they are large, so you frequently have to share table space with strangers. I don’t care for that. I don’t mind a stranger sitting at my table, but I do not like being the stranger sitting at another person’s table. The breakfast was a small buffet type arrangement; adequate.

I tried to use the restaurant for dinner on my second evening at the hotel. I went around the block and got to the restaurant and then stood in the small entrance for about 4 or 5 minutes. Every employee of the restaurant did whatever they could to totally ignore me. They would walk around me to access the tables outside, they would bump into me as they accessed the electronic menu selection system. None ever asked if I needed any help. I know in Germany that restaurant guests frequently walk in and take a table without intervention from restaurant employees, but this always make me feel slightly uncomfortable. Part of the problem was the lack of smaller tables for a solo guest. Should I just barge in and sit at a table set up for six? The lack of service from that point of view sort of amazed me. I don’t think there was anything in their training manual which said” “Ignore foreign guests who may not understand our particular cultural aspects . . . “

After several minutes of being masterfully ignored by everyone, I left and walked down the street. There I discovered “Kleiner Meyerhof.” I approached their door, and someone came over immediately to escort me to a table. The food there was spectacular; so much so that I reserved a table for the following night. So the bad service at Oberkirch won me great service just down the street.

So, for me, inferior service, bad restaurant access and set up, and lack of wireless Internet dampened the hotel experience in Freiburg. Freiburg, itself, was fabulous, and I highly recommend visiting the city – but chose a better “connected” hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank MontanaKen
Matthias P, Marketing & Controlling at Hotel Oberkirch, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. We are happy that you liked the service of our front desk staff - not so happy about other critics

First of all, we now have free wireless internet in all our rooms. Free AND fast wireless internet, there is no limited speed for the free internet in our hotel.

About the breakfast we feel sad that you did not enjoy the walk to the cathedral - sadly there is no other way to organize it as in a historic inner city you can't just change the given buildings. Sitting (and joining) a table with strangers is the traditional way to do it in our region - and as a hotel proud of its now 275 years of history and tradition we just have to keep it that way. Always hoping for our guests to enjoy it.

About your experience in our restaurant - this was news to us, too. And if it happened that way, what we do not want to doubt, it is nothing but a shame for us. We certainly normally do not ignore our guests in our restaurant, something hopefully other reviews prove.

During the last two winters we also renovated several rooms, one of them being room 32, the one you had during your stay. So we certainly would love to welcome you again - and then give you the same good impression as with our front desk staff with any otner services in our hotel, too.
Mansfield, Texas
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Thank you to all the staff at Hotel Oberkirch for a wonderful stay. We used Freiburg as home base for exploring the Black Forest region. The hotel is centrally located in the city. I mean centrally. In fact, they will send you instructions for getting to them. You should ask if you don't receive any, as it is a bit tricky at first. Our room was in the guest house and overlooked the plaza (Münsterplatz) right across from the cathedral. We have never encountered a more friendly, helpful staff anywhere. I look forward to staying there again some day.

Room Tip: The hotel is split between the original hotel itself and what they call the guest house. You'll...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
fonthill
Reviewed October 16, 2012

As others have reported, finding this hotel was very difficult. The GPS couldn't locate it & we were in a pedestrian walkway for part of the search. We finally had to leave the car & set out on foot but when we located it, we were very pleased with the accommodations. The staff on the desk were great & helped us park in their on-street garage. The location was perfect for seeing the old town & market and, of course, the cathedral. The accommodations were good but not spacious. Enjoyed the breakfasts but not having to go outside & down an alleyway in the rain to get to the breakfast restaurant. Better directions needed for finding this hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
We appreciate your review a lot. And we are happy that you liked our accomodation and the location of our hotel.

About the breakfast we feel sad that you did not enjoy the small walk - sadly there is no way to organize that otherways as you can´t just change the buildings in a historic inner city. But for those who absolutely do not want to walk we certainly offered and still offer to bring you your breakfast in your room.

About the directions: We strongly recommend to contact uns befor travelling even if you did not book directly at the hotel. So we can send you directions as most GPS do not lead through the pedestrian zone properly. Also when contacting us in advance we can reserve a parking spot, if we have one available.
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at the Oberkirch this August and were delighted with our stay. The room was very clean and comfortable. The front desk staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful. The location was wodnerful, very closse to the Munster platz where there is a wonderful farmer's market with fresh produce and gifts every week day. We did not find that the noise from the Munsterplatz was excessive for the center of a busy city and does not go on that late, certainly things were quiet by 10 pm. The town is delightful with some wonderful walks - don't miss walking up to the top of the Schlossberg where there is a wonderful view of the whole area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Fresno, California
Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

I read the reviews and decided I'd stay here for two nights. First, be aware that it is nearly impossibe to find and you can forget about using a GPS-ours, in the rented BMW, just gave up a few blocks away and told us "you are in the region of your destination". Well OK, we parked and walked around to find the property. We had a 4th floor "suite" in the old uilding (there are two, unconnected buildingd), but although it had a great view of the cathedral there was no sitting area-just two bedrooms and one bath. Be aware there is no air-conditioning, so if you are there in the summer, you will sleep with the windows open and, have I mentioned the church bells? Well, let me tell you those bell go off at random time, for much longer than you can imagine, and for no particular reason, and, well.....they are LOUD! So loud, in fact that earplugs were provided on the bed-a good clue.

The breakfast is just OK, no bacon or hot sausages and the coffee was, to us, just marginal. To check out, one needs to exit the building, walk through an allyway, and find the lobby at the new building. OK, OK..it was an experience and it didn't kill us. I chose the hotel for it's location, but Freiburg is so small and compact that it would be just as convenient to stay at one of the newer places on one of the main roads. Mit takes no more than 10 minutes to walk just about anywhere you'd want to go. Frankly, I was no too impressed with Freiburg and if I went back to the Black Forest, I'd probably stay in Baden-Baden.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends