“great, great location”

Mercure Hotel Freiburg am Muenster
pittsburgh
“great, great location”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

This was right on the edge of the main shopping area. Nice on the inside. Around the corner from a Starbucks. However, iffy wifi. Better off not paying for it and getting a coffee at Starbucks. Really nice hike from back of hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
East Lothian, UK
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed here as part of a group of six. The hotel could not have been better located nor could the staff have been any nicer to us. The rooms are very comfortable. Ours looked over towards the Schlossberg which was sprinkled with a light covering of snow. Very festive!

We were making a few excursions. Having forgotten to bring the timetables I'd printed, I asked the receptionist if she could tell me the time of the first train/ bus connection to Colmar. Instead of that, she logged onto the Deutsche Bahn website and printed a new copy for me. That was typical of the staff here. Nothing was too much trouble for them.

We would certainly visit this hotel again.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the Schlossberg shouldn't cost any more!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hertfordshire, UK
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed with a colleague at the Mecure for one night during a business trip. We chose the hotel initially due to its competitive pricing, but turned out to be a pleasant place to stay.

The hotel is based on top of a small shopping arcade and underground car park, all of which are interconnected to the hotel. A previous review mentioned parking as an issue, which does carry some truth; you only really have the underground car park as the best option and we were charged €12.80 for parking overnight.

Located towards the eastern edge of the town, at a guess I'd say the building was developed in the late 1980s. The shops and the exterior of the hotel looked a little dated, and the immediate surrounding area lacked any vibrancy, with few restaurants or bars. Inside is what counts though, and all the communal areas, such as the lobby and restaurant, were tastefully decorated and in good condition. The reception area also provides a computer and printer for guest use. A Fitness First gym is in the same complex and available for a small charge.

My room on the third floor was in excellent condition and very clean. Other than the distant drone of traffic outside, it was peaceful too. Its look and feel was more functional than contemporary - woodchip wallpaper painted white and a corrogated metal ceiling were the only low points - but I had a good night's sleep.

Staff were also particularly helpful and friendly, providing a free toothbrush and toothpaste that I'd forgotten, and breakfast in the spacious restaurant on the first floor was also notable. A great selection of good quality food and drink, served to 10:30am too. The 24 hour manned reception also helped us as we arrived at around midnight.

I would definitely stay at the Mecure again. With a more cosetting room and perhaps located in a more interesting part of Freiburg, this review would have been five-stars, but for a comfortable, well-priced place to stay the Mecure is worth a look.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ben W
Uppsala, Sweden
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed at the Mercure am Münster for a prolonged businesstrip, all in all 2 weeks. First impression was good. Arrived late and was courteously greeted at the reception. Check-in went very fast and was I got to my somewhat small room, but which was clean and well kept.
Next morning's breakfast was a nice encounter. Wideselection ofcold cuts, fresh fruit, and standard scrambled eggs/bacon/etc.

I would say this hotel, with its location near Kaiser-Joseph Strasse (where you will find the trams, departments stores and shops), is ideal for a shorter stay. It is only when you stay for more than a few nights that you notice the areas of improvements.

I worked late many nights, I had to rely on room service and the hotel restaurant for dinner more than once. I must say that quality was quite poor, especially considering the price. At one occasion, they forgot my order and called back some 20 minutes after I ordered to check what indeed I hade ordered. At another occasion, they mixed up my ordered Ceasar sallad with a meat sallad (!) consisting of assorted saussages and cold cuts. Not on any occasion did they offer any form of compensation (like not charging or making a substantial discount). I was quite speechless when I was asked if I "was OK" with the assorted saussages at 23.00. Well, what choice did I have with the kitchen closing? I did raise these issues at check-out and got a simple smile and an "I'm sorry". Totally unacceptable.

At times, it got quite cold and it was difficult to maintain an even temperature in the room without keeping the curtains closed, which would have been alright had it not been for the maid neatly clearing them form the windows each day, rendering the room cold in the evening.

I got the impression that staff did their duty rather than attending to guests. Now, this is only a 3* establishment, but that does not mean that the place should lack any sort of soul. Will try other options for future stays in Freiburg.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Beautiful Place, amazing location.1-1.5 kms from the station but its really worth the stay if you want to enjoy the beauty of Freiburg.

All the shopping area & beautiful locations is just a 5 min walk from the hotel.

Nice decent rooms, beautiful scenic view of the mountains from the room.Really had a good time in Freiburg.1 of the most memorable places of our trip.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Vishal111
Frankfurt
Reviewed August 31, 2012

The hotel is in fact quite a distance from the train station, and not situated at the Muenster as its name claims. The hotel entrance was in the back of a building. The room is medium sized, but without much amenity, and it is quite noisy from the street traffic. Breakfast is not worthwhile. What is unpleasant is the hotel management service. They do not seem to show friendliness to the guests.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
H0492-GM, Manager at Mercure Hotel Freiburg am Muenster, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear client,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Hotel Freiburg am Münster. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Indead our hotel entrance is on the other side of the buildung and it takes a 3 minutes walk to the Münster, which you can see from our restaurant an many rooms. To reach the train station it is a 10-15 minutes walk through the pedestrian area, or quicker by tram or taxi.

Patrick Graf-Mathias