All reviewssolar panelseco hoteltrain stationgreat locationeco friendlywind turbinesold townfree travel cardsstale smoke smellseparate bedroomstayed nights at this hotelcomfort roomlimited spacehardwood floorsnice hotelhotel boastseasy walking distance
Reviewed August 18, 2017

Stayed at Hotel Victoria with my two sons for visiting the Europa Park. The location is great! It is a very short walk from train station and very close to Münsterplatz and the cathedral. As we booked last minute, the room was a little tight for us three, although comfortable and with a nice bathroom. Excellent buffet breakfast with a good selection.

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2017

This hotel is a very short walk from the train station, and it's also just outside the alstadt and very close to the university, where I was attending a conference. My room was beautiful, with high ceilings, hardwood floors, and a juliet balcony. It also came with a Nespresso machine and refrigerator; the prices for the mini bar were very reasonable.

However, I probably wouldn't return to this hotel in the summer. While my room was air conditioned, I could never get the temperature down far enough to offset the down comforter on the bed. They seemed to have some sort of plastic protector on the bed that, combined with the comforter and down pillows, made it unbearably hot at night. I slept horribly all three nights I was there. Those who are more tolerant of heat would probably be fine, and I'm sure the room would be great in the winter. This was just a bit too toasty for me in the summer.

Service was also mixed. The woman who did my check in and check out was wonderful. However, one of the other women had a very frosty demeanor and wasn't helpful with giving directions. The young man working the desk when I went to ask for an iron was also not very friendly, and didn't offer to help carry the unwieldy ironing board and iron up to my room when I was obviously struggling.

One peculiar and amusing thing about this hotel is that the beds (at least the king beds) have built in music boxes! You pull a little string on the headboard (I thought it was going to turn on a light), and it plays the Brahms lullaby for you! Super weird, but also memorable! (Just make sure you don't pull the string all the way, or you'll be listening to that lullaby for a looong time!)

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled on business
4  Thank Victorianista
Reviewed July 16, 2017

Stayed here for a lay-over day before auditing a supplier near Freiburg. My luggage getting lost on the way to Basel had luckily showed up at the hotel in Freiburg, and they had already brought it to my room.
The hotel is situated less than 5 mins. walk from the railroad station and about the same from the center of Altstadt.
Check-in was fast and efficient and I got tickets for the local transit as well as a street map of Altstadt and some good advise on where to have dinner later on.
The room had a fair size for single occupation with an excellent double bed and a nice bathroom, which at first puzzled me, since it lacked a toilet. But closer scrutiny revealed that the toilet was hidden under a lid, doubling as a shelf in the pathroom.
The room was a bit hot, but since the weather was quite fair, I was able to sleep with the window ajar, even in April (the Japanese cherry trees were in full boom at that time).
Breakfast was excellent, with a nice buffet and fresh bread.
It is fairly easy to get to the old city center from the hotel - here you can find a plethora of different shops and nice restaurants. As Freiburg is a university city, the night life is lively and vibrant - always easy to find a nice watering hole...
Recommendable.

Room Tip: Rooms high up (and away from lift), and not facing the street are quiet
  • Stayed: April 2017, traveled on business
Reviewed July 11, 2017

Surprised to discover the hotel was heated by wood pellets, they filer their water, serve some Bio food and in general are doing things with more consciousness. The location was ideal as we could walk from the train station and then to the venue for a concert.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms have a nice view of the park and many trees.
  • Stayed: December 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2017

We recently stayed in this hotel and we were very pleased. The location is close to the train station and is in a very nice area. The rooms were quite nice and comfortable. Good wifi. We heard the breakfast was good, but it was not included with the room and was quite pricey to add on, so we passed on that. Staff was very courteous and helpful. Overall we were quite pleased and would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled as a couple