“Nice hotel, but technology was limiting”

Best Western Premier Hotel Victoria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I'm torn about this hotel. In terms of classic hotel criteria, this is a good value. The rooms are nice, clean, and with plenty of space. The restroom was also spacious by European standards, with a nice large stand-up shower. The rooms were quiet, and the staff was courteous and efficient. Finally, it's in a great location, with easy access to the historic parts of Freiburg.

My negative comments reflect the technology (or lack thereof) of this hotel. While the hotel offers free wifi, it was essentially unusable (except to check text email). Using SpeedTest.net, the best results I got during my 4-night stay were: Download 0.50 Mbps, Upload 0.04 Mbps, Ping 715 ms. At worst, Pings were 1829 ms! This certainly isn't fast enough for anything except e-mail. Additionally, it only allowed one device per username/password. I would rather pay for Internet and have it work properly. Additionally, while the television was modern, there were only 2 English channels (BBC World and Al-Jazeera English). Even the CNN (which was advertised as offered) wasn't working.

These tech issues dampened by pleasure during my stay. As a business traveller, I depend on decent internet to get work done, and I was forced to go to a cafe to do so. Hope they can fix this - if so, this would be a 4-5 star hotel!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We felt it worked for a one night stay. Rooms had been updated and the interesting thing was a tassle located on the headboard that, when pulled, played a lullaby.

We used the onsite parking, which is limited, so book it when you make reservations.

Ended up in a very tight spot so we were thankful the car was small.

Did not have the hotel (paid) breakfast since It's a short walk to the historic part of town we opted to have breakfast at a local cafe instead.

No problems during our stay.

Room Tip: If your traveling with a car. Reserve a spot ahead of time if possible.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2012

No bad thing to say on the hotel. It is clean, the staff was friendly, the breakfast was tasty. Located 10 minutes from the City Hall. Since we booked parking too, a closed private garage was waiting for us with our name on it (They have open parking which they charge 8Euro per 24h and closed private garage which they charge 10Euro)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Our family of six (four adults, two grandchildren) stayed here in mid-July for three nights. We chose it initially because it is close to the train station (from whence we arrived) and to the downtown (where we wanted to walk). We found the service to be very good (obviously they improved over previous reviewers) and the rooms to be quite suitable (we are from North America so every room is somewhat small be comparison but still more than acceptable). The breakfasts we had were exceptional in terms of variety and quality. The staff at the front desk were available and helpful. We went through at least six different hotiels on this trip and I believe that our family rated this place as the best of the lot, I think particularly because of the meals. The community was small but very interesting; its location meant we could drive over to Kayserberg France in an hour I believe or you could be in three countries within about the same time distance. Great spot to visit.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Stayed here one night. Instead of helping me with my bags, the front desk staff just stared at me while I lugged my bags up three sets of steps. No signs toward the lift or a doorman to help, so if you're traveling alone, you're on your own. Check in was quick and I received no info about hotel facilities or breakfast. The single room I reserved was as expected, but did not have a lot of natural light, except through a small window with a view of an adjacent building. The interior walls were paper thin, I could even hear if my neighbor was 'sitting' or 'standing' for his morning bathroom visit.

At check out, the reception attendant seemed more concerned about the people behind me than closing my invoice, no mention of help with my bags, taxi service, or an easier way to get to the street level. All in all it was barely a 3-star experience, the only thing saving it was the location, close to the train station and within walking distance to the university. Book this place only if the other hotels in the area are full or too expensive. The front desk staff could be a little friendlier and a lot more helpful explaining hotel info to travelers.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed at this hotel in June 2012. Room was minuscule. Shower could not swing a cat in. And charge for last two rooms ?... 158euros per double room?? More like a two star with price of four star. Be aware and do not bother if you have not pre booked

Room Tip: Do not go on spec.Feel this was a total rip off. Eco what.? Hotel is dated lifts are too small. Ro...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank bairdheatherset
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Hotel Victoria is situated between the train station and town center. Since much of Freiburg is a “pedestrian only” area it was great to book a Hotel that we could park our rental car and not have to lug luggage through the walking-only areas. Numerous restaurants and a market were just a short walk. We enjoyed the most delicious pizza at a enchanting restaurant nearby on more than one occasion! The main hub, the town center, was also within walking distance. Actually, the hotel is an easy walking distance of everywhere.

We stayed multiple days in a room overlooking the street but the room was incredibly quiet! The windows opened so we could to let in sights and sounds of Freiburg, which was delightful! The room was a descent size and included a small sitting area, desk, internet access, refrigerator and was spotlessly clean. The breakfast bar was suitable and pleasant but a bit pricey.

The entire staff were first-rate! friendly, very helpful and spoke English. The car park was a bit tight, at times, but the staff were wonderful and went out of the way to help overcome any discomfort. We would definitely book Hotel Victoria again!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple