“Good cafes and atmosphere”
Review of Munsterplatz

Munsterplatz
More attraction details
Owner description: This town square, built next to and named after Freiburg's famous cathedral, is still a major center of the city's social activity.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Lovely place to sit and whoile away the time - good selection of cafes to choose from. I ate and drank at the Ganter cafe which was good food; try the Urtrunk - lovely beer! Shame that the Alte Wache was closed - if you aren't aware of German red wine, try to visit it next time you are here - worthwhile

1  Thank Framfamily
Write a ReviewReviews (1,325)
All reviews
"every morning"
in 8 reviews
"local foods"

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Square around the Cathedral holds a market (from morning to mid-afternoon) with local specialties: fruit, bread, sausages, Kirschwasser (Cherry liquor)

1  Thank CathieLS
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Very nice atmosphere, many old buildings in an excellent state of conservation. Nice cafés and restaurants, etc.

1  Thank dimetrius1612
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

I penetrated the medieval Munsterplatz on a recent jaunt to the really rather enchanting city of Frieburg at the tail end of May 2013. I timed my penetration to coincide with the Saturday morning market,to capture the square at its most raucous. And I wasn't disappointed, oh by golly no. The vibrant square was jammed with stalls offering various snackies and wholesome organic fruits & veggies..plus a few vendors offering up a wide variety of plants/cut flowers. And it wasn't just the tourists weaving their way through the hustle..oh no..I clocked a fair few locals here too..eyeing up the fresh erect stems of white asparagus..which were seen in abundance.
My partner and I had, had a lite breakfast of coffee and croiss at our 4* hotel bedside in the morning ,we had also taken a brisk walk around the city to work up a hunger for the famed Frieburg saussie in a bun from one of the stalls. And..my word..we weren't disappointed with the porky treat.As a matter of fact I found myself choking mine down with such enthusiasm that I thought that the hot saus had scared my esophagus for life..my partner too greatly enjoyed the fabled Frieburg saussie..so much so that it took him next to no time to throw his down his gullet.
...all this gluttony was watched by the saints and apostles that adorn the magnificent sandstone Munster..that stands in the center of this absolutely charming square...I'll be back there one day..yeah..you betcha...!

1  Thank MWWorth
See more reviews
Reviewed June 9, 2013

While wondering from the Busparkplatze and after buying some small souvenirs we happened to stumble upon the Munsterplatz. By that time it was already past 10 pm on 25/5/2013. The square itself was big and there was this huge cathedral. We also saw a historic red building known as 'The Historical Merchants Hall'. There were several restaurants surrounding the square and we saw many local residents drinking and dining at the tables outside the restaurants. Nothing fancy ...... just a typical German setting. Unfortunately, the square itself was empty except for people walking around. I've heard if you come at the right time there are market stalls selling fruits, vegetables etc. Since we were late, there were not many things to see which was disappointing. Well, maybe next time.

1  Thank ABDUL RAHIM M