“Looks good, food is rubbish”
Review of Kartoffelhaus

Kartoffelhaus
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Kartoffelhaus celebrates the fabulous tuber in various ways and with great dedication. Our menu offers home-made dishes like mother cooked them, but also interprets potato dishes in a fresh and daringly new way with fresh vegetables and herbs, several sorts of cheese, delicious local fish and meat of high quality. In addition you can find vintage types of potatoes and vegetables used in yummy dishes on our menu. We also offer a vegan menu and separate menus of gluten and lactose-free dishes.
England
“Looks good, food is rubbish”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I visited this restaurant over the New Year and was looking forward to the meal. The place looks very nice and the waiters were on the whole professional and friendly. But that is where the compliments end. The food is quite bland and not that well presented. However ironically the worst aspect of both my dish and my partner’s were the potatoes! They were either overcooked or quite raw. The meal was not only just ordinary but also quite expensive. I should have been suspicious of this place as I never really trust establishments where food foam are used!!

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Ketan P

• Thai first
Menlo Park
“Favorite Freiburg Restaurant”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My family lived in Freiburg for a year and were regular customers at Kartoffelhaus. It became our favorite restaurant in the city, and is the first place we go whenever we visit. My youngest daughter fell in love with the Vegetarische Kartoffelsuppe, and still asks for it often. The food is great, and the service is friendly. I wish I could go back there today!

• Visited September 2012
Frankfurt, Germany
“they have opened till midnight, great food, but slow”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I was there twice. I simply love this restaurant, because they have many variations of food base on potatoes, which is wow! I ate first some baked potatoes with 3 sauces, which were really good(something with olives and tomatoes, another one with shrimps and a guacamole one). They were so good, that I just couldnt eat all. unfortunately, we had to wait like 30-40 min till the food came, but I say that somehow it worths. and i love that when they bring the bill, they offer you lollipops and candies. i love it!

• Visited September 2012
basel
“Not really vegan although advertised as such”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

My husband and i ate here last night and as vegans were totally disappointed. Firstly it took 40 minutes to get food and it wasn't busy. Aside from that we ordered from the vegan menu. I had the oven potato with 3 dips. My husband had the salad with pan fried mushrooms. The salad was actually ok. But my potato came as it would from the oven- natur. The 3 dips were all from jars ( we checked with the kitchen and they confirmed) purchased from al natura. Not bad in itself but vegan sandwich paste which is dry in itself is not something I'd add onto a fluffy dry oven potato. These spreads are for bread/ sandwiches. It was all so dry it was inedible. I had to order more water to get through the meal. We gave feedback and the staff seemed receptive. Although mainly they seemed stressed and a little aloof. We waited another 20 minutes to have our plates cleared and another 15 for the bill. 32 euros for 1 salad. 1 dry potato with sandwich paste. 1 ginger juice and one berry juice (all shop bought ) yes we checked. I wouldn't go back and think its misleading to advertise as vegan when the staff and kitchen don't really understand what a vegan meal requires. Shame.

1 Thank mitchBasel
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
“Potatoes”
Reviewed February 3, 2012

If you like potatoes and all derivatives out of potatoes you have to eat in this restaurant.