Gasthaus zum Kreuz
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Loewen(Freiburg im Breisgau)
Landgasthof Baeren(Kirchzarten)
View Hotel
FT Sportpark Hotel(Freiburg im Breisgau)
Hotel Fortuna(Kirchzarten)
  • Restaurant
Kuehler Krug(Freiburg im Breisgau)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Gasthaus Schuetzen(Freiburg im Breisgau)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Waldheim(Freiburg im Breisgau)
  • Free Internet
Hotel Schuetzen(Oberried)
All reviewstroutone nightthree nightshugmeatsgermanfreiburg
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed 2 nights before going to Austria. Room was ok, but a bit old-fashioned and the bathroom was very old fashioned and really needs to be refreshed... Expensive
Concerning the restaurant, 40 minutes to get an ice-cream with only 3 balls (with no cream!!!), they did not care about us. Because we were foreigners ? (Same behaviour towards a Corean couple who decided to leave) Because there was only 2 of us? ... Anyway we will return to Freiburg but will find another hotel and another restaurant

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Loulette_13
Reviewed June 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Hotel zum Kreuz for two nights in June 2012. We were given a warm and efficient welcome by the family owners. We had a large, airy room with a balcony and good storage. Everything was very well maintained and spotlessly clean. Free wifi in the room and plenty of parking right outside. The breakfast was comprehensive and excellent. Free cakes and apples in the lobby available to munch on during the day.

There is a restaurant run by the hotel owners just over the road which is open for dinner from Wednesday to Sunday night. The food is traditional, first-class and reasonably priced and the restaurant had a lot of local customers, always a good sign. We ate there both nights.

The hotel is about 20 minutes away from the centre of Freiburg. You can either drive or take the bus/tram. If you do the latter as we did, the bus stop is the one immediately opposite the front entrance to the dinner restaurant. Take the no 17 bus to its terminus then transfer on to a No 1 tram which will probably be waiting alongside to take you to Freiburg centre. The journey is straightforward and quick. We bought 24 hour tickets from the bus driver for 9.50 euros each which allow you to travel on all transport in Freiburg in zone 1. We were quite happy to be staying just outside Freiburg - the hotel in its small village was a pleasure to come back to and the dinner something special to look forward to. We would certainly return to this hotel if we went back to Freiburg.

Room Tip: Nice to have a room with a balcony
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LosIntrepidos
Reviewed July 17, 2011

The hotel is situated in Kappel, a small town on the edges of Freiburg. It seems a very peaceful little town in the valley of two hills in the Black Forest. Arriving by car from the autobahn, I drove through Freiburg knowing that the main road trough was exempt from the requirement to display an Umweltzone Plakette, only to find that there's a tiny part of the zone to be driven through to get to the hotel! Oops.
My sat-nav directed me perferctly to the hotel, which is quite picturesque, and I found one of the family who run the place in traditional dress attending to some business in the restaurant. After making apologies for my rather hopeless German, I was shown to my room in the annexe across the road.
The room was perfectly acceptable for the price, considering the Black Forest location, rather good actually. Television and free wi-fi, ample wardrobe space, a desk, en-suite bathroom. Basic but functional. My only issue was that the bed wasn't particularly comfortable for me.
The restaurant serves up some decent food in huge portions at reasonable prices. A lot of the wines are available in small carafes, meaning several can be tried, my waitress was very helpful with this. Again, reasonable prices.
Breakfast, held in an airy bright room in the annexe, was a continental buffet which covered all the angles.
A bus stop is situated right outside the hotel. Parking is easy.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank stuart462
Reviewed May 20, 2011

I am so happy I stayed here. I cannot express enough what a great place this was for us as a home base in Germany, and how totally amazing the restaurant was. Hotel Zum Kreuz was our jumping off point for visiting family and touring germany, france and switzerland by car. The restaurant is now my favourite in the whole world so far - I am going to make a point in going back just for that. This place is a gem, tucked away in the black forest n a small town. Its an amazing drive just outside of Freiburg a few minutes, through some super cool tunnels (a total TopGear moment) and up a hill - its like a vacation in a perfect post card. The locals are super friendly and the staff are outstanding. There is a bank (with bank machine) and market down the street. The hotel is super good value - the breakfast buffet, fresh breads, fruit, smoked salmon, cappuccino machine and more is amazing, and included! parking is right outside. We had two rooms during our stay as we extended our stay for two extra nights. Our first room had a balcony over looking a garden, town (next to a rock face - super cool) and was older in design with a tub only in the bathroom with a shower head thing. The room was clean and functional. Our second room was smaller, with no balcony but was renovated, again clean except this one had a stand up shower which works better for me. Both were good and the beds were amazingly comfortable and clean. Internet and TV works, with CNN in english. The hotel represents an outstanding value - it was cheaper than other options and offered so much! The restaurant, and the service within was amazing. The food and portions are unreal! They make a Riesling ice cream dessert - amazing. Black Forest German fare - incredible. I local spot I am sure - booked almost every night, so make reservations. I am not kidding, this place was a once in a lifetime find. Our waitress provided flawless perfect service with a smile and spoke english too.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank zanezed
Reviewed September 28, 2010

My husband and I had just drove in from France after getting married and were happy to arrive to such an inviting bed and breakfast. Hug, the hotel's proprietor, was more than inviting and was able communicate in English, in addition to German (which was an added bonus since neither my husband or I are fluent in German). When he found out we were newlyweds, we arrived in our room to find a bottle of local wine to greet us. The restaurant was great and the food was delicious--I forget the name of the soup, but it was a cream suppe and by far the best I've ever had! Hug walked out and turned out to also be the chef! He came over and chatted and gave us some sightseeing tips around the Black Forest. It was very relaxed and the breakfast was well-stocked. They opened an hour earlier for breakfast when they learned we were heading out early to drive up to Paris. The only downfall of this place is honestly the fact that if it's warm out, there's no air conditioning or fans. If there were screens on the door, it wouldn't have been as stuff but the mosquitos forced us to keep them shut. I'd recommend this place to anyone traveling around the Freiburg area. It was fun, quiet, clean, friendly and very reasonably priced. Definitely worth the short drive in and out of the city center!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple