“Memorable gastronomic experience”

Restaurant Bareiss
Ranked #2 of 34 Restaurants in Baiersbronn
Cuisines: French, German, European, Central European
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Paris, France
“Memorable gastronomic experience”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

The highlight of our Bareiss experience, and an evening sans faute. My daughter and I ate here on one evening of our stay, and as my daughter put it: "there is a rainbow of flavors still on my palate". We chose the 8-course menu.
The décor is traditional, with good attention to detail and very cosy. When dining at this end of the price scale, one expects the dinner to be "THEATER" and the Bareiss did not disappoint. From the array of amuse-bouches presented to begin the meal and tantalize the palate, I knew we would have to carefully pace ourselves. The rhythm of the meal was perfect: everything came when it should, neither too late nor too soon. Varied visual presentations kept the eye amused as the flavors came together like a symphony.
I trusted the sommelier and he did not disappoint, the champagne and 2 wines were a perfect match for the meal.
A perfectly seared milk-fed lamb chop, a popcorn-topped (!) foie gras presentation, a surprising fish course... all was beautiful and impeccable. Not a false note in the whole meal, and more importantly: not a boring one either. The chef came out to greet the guests, and it is very apparent that he is passionate about his art.
Yes, it is pricey--at this level of quality, skill and attention, it is to be expected--but well below what one would pay for similar quality in Paris.
As we say in France: vaut le voyage!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank PouletteParis

Oslo, Norway
“Great 3 star experience”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

When we arrived they guessed our name before we had to tell them! We were staying at the Bareiss Hotel where this restaurant is located. Service started well and stayed perfect until last minute. We were offered 5 appetisers before we got to our order and they were all delicious in particular a ravioli with asian flavors and curry. We could choose from the a la carte menu or one of 2 tasting menus ( one at 165€ with 6 courses and the second at 185€ with 8 courses). I personally had the 8 course menu which gives a great overview of the chef's talent. My husband picked from the a la carte menu and each order came in 3 to 5 plates with different variations. I found the restaurant very generous particularly when compared to other 3 stars. The wine waiter suggested a great bottle of wine. We ended the meal with sweets offered by the restaurant. Do not miss it if you can afford it.

• Visited November 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Keminstube Restaurant at Bareiss”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Superb!! Wonderful welcome, great attentive service and terrific food. The fixed price dinner menu was a bargain and the ability to swap courses with other menus meant we got the food we wanted. A perfect setting and a great place to spend an evening. You have to book a long time in advance but it is worth the wait.

• Visited August 2012
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Top class 3 star restaurant”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

My wife and I ate here in April 2012. The hotel is beautiful, although not cheap, and we lazed in the heated pool looking out at the Black Forest. The hotel guests are mainly German, or Alsatian, and we were by far the youngest there (at mid 30s). The staff are genuinely pleased to see you and help.

The meal at the restaurant was excellent. We both had the full tasting menu, and every dish was delicious. The chef is bringing in notes of Asia, with some Japanese and Indian flavours, which were excellent. I think the cheese course was the best I've ever had. The chef seems particularly good at combining flavours, where ingredients and flavours that seem good on their own really came alive when everything was combined in a forkfull.

Service was efficient, friendly, and accomodating. Stay at the hotel, eat at Restaurant Schwarzwaldstube as well.

• Visited April 2012
Sittard, The Netherlands
“An excellent ***Michelin experience”
Reviewed December 18, 2011

When looking for a luxury wellness hotel I found out that the Bareiss Hotel had a three Michelin star restaurant. I did not hesitate, booked the hotel and reserved a table for two (babysitter, who happend to be the maitre's daughter, looked after the children).

The small restaurant has a perfect atmosphere, luxurious, well decorated and comfortable. Staff is knowledgeable, experienced, friendly and efficient. They make you feel welcome and relaxed.
During dinner, both the owner of the hotel and chef Lummp come to visit you at the table to assure everything is to your wishes.

The food doesn't come cheap, so we choose the "economical" 8 course degustation menu (at 189€, less costly than á la carte and a good way to taste different dishes).

The apéritif was a really good glas of champagne (grande anneé 2000 by Bollinger), excellent amuses (especially the coquille st Jacques on cous cous was to remember).

The menu was perfect, perfectly cooked (chef Claus-Peter Lumpp has most certainly mastered his trade), exciting flavours and paired with great wines from Italy, Germany, France and USA.

Very importantly at the end of the dinner, although having consumed 8 courses we did not feel at all like we had to much to eat. So there was still room for a nice digestif (I am a big fan of cognac and they have an extensive list of cognacs) from my birthyear, so it had some time to age.

Of course the bill was according to the *** Michelin status and the quality of the food, but it was just slightly more than a previous and very disappointing experience at a ** star restaurant, so not bad at all.

• Visited December 2011