“German fantasy world”

Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Baiersbronn
New York City, New York
“German fantasy world”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Splurge on this experience, even if just for one night (but then, arrive early, and stay as late as you can the next day. You will receive a very friendly welcome from staff in regional dress, and find many activities to work up an appetite for the delicious food. The three star restaurant was quite delicious - and the chef has a lively sense of humor. Consider his foie gras five ways (or was it six?) - one of which was in the form of creme brûlée. The breakfast buffet was the most lavish we've ever seen - the only downside was that the fruit looked good but on the whole was not ripe and luscious. There are many activities available in the area, such as hiking and biking, and my husband reported a terrific view and a special German apple drink at the top of his climb. The pool facilities caught my fancy - many pools, indoors and out, salt and fresh, warmed or not - almost like an adult water park. Paradise is surely experiencing the outdoors pool that is like a rushing stream (hold on to the rails!) where, at least in the morning, the alpine scent of trees and flowers wafts overhead. Appealing (sweet rather than spectacular) scenery. About an hour and a half drive from Strasbourg, thus easy to add to your Alsace itinerary. There is another three star restaurant in the same town, as well as a one star, and a two star nearby. (See NYTimes review of April 4, 2013) The Bareiss prides itself on catering to three generations, so if you happen to be a wealthy extended family, you could have quite a family reunion there.

Room Tip: The reservationist is willing to discuss particulars of rooms with you.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TalkofTravel
khm_2009, Inhaber at Hotel Bareiss, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear guests!

‚Thank you‘ – what more can I say, or write, after reading your evaluation. With a smile on my face I forwarded your laud to my father Hermann Bareiss and the whole Bareiss-Team and I can assure you that everybody was really delighted about it.

A good day starts with an even better breakfast. Thank you very much for your fair-minded words. Also in the future, we will try our best to enthuse you with the typical and unique Bareiss breakfast buffet.

Your laud for our 3 Michelin starred Restaurant Bareiss was really a pleasure and I would like to thank you for that, also in the name of Claus-Peter Lumpp and his staff. It was really appreciated.

Concerning your lovely words and your laud, I really cannot think of anything better. I’m really excited about the fact that you had marvellous days here with us at the Bareiss. I am very happy that you found some time to enjoy our new Bareiss Wellness & Spa. After almost a month of work, we are very proud that we can now present this special area to our guests.

Also in the future, we will continue our efforts of being your favorite holiday home and give our best to fulfill your expectations – in the name of hospitality and welcome.

Maybe we will have the chance of welcoming you again here with us in Mitteltal. We would be very happy and so far I would like to say “Auf Wiedersehen” and send you our best wishes!

Mitteltal, 18th July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We had only one night at the Bareiss, a mistake. Beautifully situated in the Black Forest, with spa, multiple pools. tennis, forest walks and biking as easy or hard as you care to make it, a cheerful, energetic and attentive staff, sumptuous accommodations, special programs and facilities for children of all ages ... oh, and did I mention the food? The three star restaurant was extraordinary and, for that kind of restaurant, reasonably priced; your half-board accommodations include dinner in their other restaurants (or a credit towards your three-star meal) and a breakfast buffet that is simply not to be believed for its variety and quality.

My wife's reaction was that this was the place to which we should bring our children and grandchildren when shortly we celebrate major life anniversaries.

Room Tip: You want to be looking at the mountains across the valley
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
khm_2009, Inhaber at Hotel Bareiss, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear guests!

Please allow me to start my comment with the following words: In most cases, the first impression is the key to inspire our guests and to point out what you might expect from your holiday home – from your Bareiss – here in Mitteltal.

We, my father Hermann Bareiss, the whole Bareiss-team and myself, are really delighted about your comments and the words you find to describe your impressions and experience. Thank you very much for that!

The diversity of leisure activities here in the Black forest is indeed outstanding and I am really glad that you had the chance to enjoy some.

By the way, did I mention that we attach great importance to the fact leaving no wishes, especially concerning the food, unfulfilled? So once again thank you very much for your laud and your recognition.

As a hotel for three generations, we would be glad welcoming you and your family hopefully again soon. Until then, I would like to say “Auf Wiedersehen” and wish you all the best.

With kind regards

Mitteltal, 11th July 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We had the privilege to stay 5 days at the Bareiss.
The room was a nice and spacious suite with an open fireplace and 2 balconies. The only minus was the bed, which was a twin and felt somewhat tiered.

You can choose from several restaurants, one of them holding 3 Michelin stars. For a 3 star restaurant I would expect a more organized service and a slightly more motivated sommelier. Considering the price tag I do not recommend. However the remaining restaurants did not disappoint, excellent food and service.

They have recently renovated their wellness area, which is enormous. Inside pool, outside pool, 5 different saunas, hammam etc...we were not disappointed. Outside you have a large recreational area with a tennis court.

The hotel is very family oriented. This does not disturb since they have organized this in a very clever way.

So If you like wine (their wine list is impressive), food and wellness this is the place for you.
We had 5 fantastic days and will hopefully return one day.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
khm_2009, Inhaber at Hotel Bareiss, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear guests!

With great joy I read your lines concerning your visit in our Hotel Bareiss.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write that you enjoyed your stay at The Bareiss. We are delighted that we meet your taste and that you can benefit from the services we offer. We strive for offering our guests an excellent quality in all areas of the hotel to make your visit a very special one.

I could not be happier after reading your compliments for our staff members and I am sure you can imagine how delighted they all were about it. So there is nothing more for me to say but ‘Thank you!’.

We, my father Hermann Bareiss, all staff members and I, would be very happy to welcome you again here in Mitteltal.

With my best regards from the Black Forest,

Mitteltal, 6th June 2013
Burnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have been lucky enough to visit many of the top hotels and restaurants in UK and France over the last 25 years but wanted to do something different, so decided to explore Germany. I was not disappointed – our meal at the Bareiss 3 starred Michelin Restaurant was truly spectacular and one of the best all round experiences we have ever had. It was absolutely delightful and each course was a true masterpiece.

The hotel is of a high quality - we experienced such warmth, kindness and comfort during our stay and the quality, attention to detail and “making guests feel special” was defintely top priority for all of the team.

A truly fine experience - thank you!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lesley M
khm_2009, Inhaber at Hotel Bareiss, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear guests!

Please allow me to start my comment with your own words: We have been lucky enough to welcome you here with us in the Black Forest and I would like to point out how delighted we all here at the Bareiss have been after reading your lovely words and your favorable evaluation. Thank you very much for that!

25 years of traveling must have been a very interesting and exciting time and I am sure that you have seen and experienced a lot. After exploring UK and France, we are very happy that you decided to start your tour through Germany in Mitteltal in the beautiful Black Forest. Hopefully, you had the chance to discover this wonderful landscape. I can assure you that it is really worth to find out more about it.

Your laud concerning your meal at our 3 Michelin starred Restaurant Bareiss was really a pleasure and I would like to thank for that, also in the name of Claus-Peter Lumpp and his staff. It was really an honor for us.

With my best regards

Mitteltal, 15th May 2013
Paris, France
Reviewed March 29, 2013

When my originally planned mother-daughter voyage had to be cancelled due to my broken leg, I searched for somewhere to rest and relax within train-travel distance, and the Hotel Bareiss fit my criteria. From the moment we were picked up by the kindly chauffeur at the train station (we ordered the limousine service offered by the hotel), to the sign wishing us "Herzlich Willkommen!" on our room's door, the smiling ladies in traditional folk costume at the front desk: the welcome had a great attention to detail, discreet and friendly.
We enjoyed the copious breakfast buffet and the cake and coffee hour provided an opportunity to sample not only Black Forest Cake, but apple cake, nut cake, and many diverse pastries and ice cream cups, to my teenage daughter's delight. Dinner was lovely, with a salad starter buffet, and a generous menu. I would have liked to have the opportunity to try a few more regional specialties in the dinner menu, but the food was well-executed and well-prepared. Guests are given a table for the duration of their stay for breakfast and dinner in the guest restaurant if you choose a half-board package.
Given that we were staying in an off-season, off-peak period for the Germans, the age range was unsurprisingly towards the more elderly end. Lots of well-heeled opas and omas who were solicitous and obviously repeat visitors. On the Friday evening came the influx of younger people and families.
The spa services were excellent, discreetly luxurious, and highly professional. My daughter loved the pools and workout room. The entertainment options were varied, towards the quieter side, and very pleasant: a very nice concert by a local youth orchestra, fantastic wine-tasting and cellar tour afternoon with the hotel's restaurant sommelier... and several possibilities for day trips. I imagine that the summer must be magnificent for hiking--something my broken leg did not allow me to do this trip.The library is a lovely room for taking tea, reading the paper, or practicing piano.
We felt completely cared for, very welcome, and very much at ease. The staff really seem to care about the guests and tried hard to anticipate requests. A truly heavenly place to relax, refresh, and rejuvenate--and forget the cares of the everyday world.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank PouletteParis
khm_2009, Inhaber at Hotel Bareiss, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear guests!

It is always a pleasure to find out that our guests enjoyed their time here with us in Mitteltal and to receive those lovely lines, telling us that we were successful in doing our best for our guests’ comfort and satisfaction. So we feel really honored and valued that you grace us with such a lovely and courteous evaluation. Thank you very much for that!

Laud and recognition are the greatest form of appreciation, also for us. We are really delighted that you enjoyed your visit in the Black Forest and that you gave us the chance being your hosts. Your lovely words are the best motivation for us to keep up our efforts and to give our best every day again to make the Bareiss your holiday home.

It was a great joy for me actually to forward your laud to our crew members and maybe you can imagine how delighted they were about your lovely words.

For us all, it would be a great honour to welcome you again here in Mitteltal. Until then, I would like to say “Auf Wiedersehen” and wish you and your family all the best.

With my best regards,

Mitteltal, 4th April 2013
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed March 15, 2013

excellent from all points of view, location, hiking possibilities, black forest is so closeby, bar with great coctails and music, pools allover, nice shops in the hotel and exquisite food, great rooms we have been so often and will go back

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank roosje188644
khm_2009, Inhaber at Hotel Bareiss, responded to this review, March 20, 2013

With my best regards,

Mitteltal, 19th March 2013
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My wife and I have been a number of times to Bareiss and decided to write this review following the recent modifications on the spa area in the hotel. The service is excellent with very helpful staff, nice surroundings for walks but the spa area is by far the best I have ever seen. The new spa (inside and outside) has been completely redone and has numerous sauna's, haman, showers and relaxing area's (waterbeds).
The breakfast is great with choice of different hot and cold dishes.
Dinner is over the top unless you fancy long dinners.
Bar is good but evening entertainment is for older people.
We are considering taking our kids next time.

Room Tip: Landhaus is next to the hotel area
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank belviking
khm_2009, Inhaber at Hotel Bareiss, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear guests!

Having the honor welcoming you a number of times here with us at the Bareiss is the most beautiful compliment you can give us. And of course, it’s really a motivation for all of us here in Mitteltal – for my father Hermann Bareiss, for the whole Bareiss-Team and for me. Thank you very much for that!

We are really delighted about the fact that you are so excited about the new Bareiss Wellness & Spa area and that we are able to enthuse you. This is not a natural consequence and we are quite aware of this fact, but your words prove us that we took the right decision – for our guests and for your well-being.

‘Give your body a treat’ – this motto does not only count concerning our spa area, but also, and maybe this is the more important part, in view of your physical well-being. So, how could a day start better than with a diversified breakfast? To leave no guest’s wish unfulfilled is our goal and we are very happy that you appreciate our efforts.

We would be very happy having the chance welcoming you together with and your kids next time here in Mitteltal in the Black Forest. Until then, we send you our best greetings and wish you all the best.

Sincerely yours,

Mitteltal, 19th March 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baiersbronn
Hotel Traube Tonbach
Hotel Dollenberg
Hotel Dollenberg
#1 of 14 in Bad Peterstal-Griesbach
Nationalpark-Hotel Schliffkopf

Been to Hotel Bareiss? Share your experiences!