“Ridiculously charming hotel, really wonderful”
Review of Hotel Alte Laterne

Hotel Alte Laterne
Ranked #20 of 50 Hotels in Baden-Baden
Leuven, Belgium
“Ridiculously charming hotel, really wonderful”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We chose this hotel after reading the other reviews here on tripadvisor, and it didn't disappoint. Really lovely decor, charming exterior (perfect for photographs) and efficient and friendly staff. It's situated slap-bang in the centre of Baden-Baden, and was a great base for exploring the city. I would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank lionelrichie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Selby, North Yorkshire
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We arrived tired after a long but beautiful trip up the B500 through the Black Forest from Switzerland on our motorbike. We were able to bring the bike right to the hotel door for unloading even though the hotel is situated on a pedestrian area in the centre of town. Afterwards it was moved to a private parking area a few hundred metres from the hotel.
The historic, characterful hotel is bang in the middle of shops and restaurants and just opposite a good beer kellar. The staff are freindly and helpful. One guy is a biker too.
Our room was comfortable and the bathroom, though small, was clean, modern, and had a very good shower. Even though it is in the centre of things the room was quiet.
The breakfast was typically continental with everything you would normally expect.
All in all its a good spot for a stay in Baden-Baden.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank icyelement
Chicago, IL
Reviewed June 14, 2011

What our room was lacking in size it more than made up for in character and charm. The hotel is right in the center of town, walking distance to both spa's and all the other sites.Our room overlooked the Lowenbrau Beer Garden. Nice breakfast selection. Friendly staff that spoke English well.

Make sure you go to Mount Merkur and hike up to the Castle Ruins (Castle Hohenbaden built in 1102 -path is just past Caracalla. If you hike up you will find it).
I also recommend Friedrichsbad Spa. I am your typical American who is uncomfortable with nudity but I SWEAR you will get over it in a matter of minutes. Then cross it off your bucket list!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2011

We're traveling with a motorcycle and this was the best small hotel so far in Germany. Baden-Baden is a great place to stay 2-3 days and this is the Hotel to be in. Walking distance everywhere and they even let me park my bike right on walking street by the hotel - city is so safe I wasn't worried about leaving the bike unattended.
The hotel is an old house and the owner has renovated it with a very good taste and attention to detail. Double room was 95/night and very spacious - actually more like a junior suite. Bathroom was large and a valuable amenity for a long-trip traveler was the large heated drying rack. Large tub and hand-held shower. Breakfast was also included and aplenty. Friendly staff and speak well english. Hotel Restaurant is also very good, I didn't find a better one in the center .

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jyrkiylinokari
Mumbai, India
Reviewed June 5, 2011

I selected Alte Laterne based on the reviews I read....and am so glad I picked this place. To begin with, it was very easy to reach from Baden Baden train station....by bus nos 201 or 205. Just a 2 minute walk after getting off the bus. The hotel is just 2-3 minutes' walk away from the Thermal baths and is right round the corner from the pedestrian shopping area. The Casino and Theatre are a short walk away. There are plenty of restaurants in the area. I had a hard time choosing and regret not being able to try several of them. Check in was quick and easy......paid cash upon checking in. The young boy managing the tables in the restaurant helped me check-in and showed me the room.,..he even helped carry my luggage to it. I was given a lovely room on the first floor and even though it was right above the restaurant, it didn't bother me anyway. Infact, I enjoyed looking out of the windows (loved the flowers at the window). The room had a lovely design, was spacious (large enough for two), had a minibar, adequate wardrobe space, tv, chairs etc. The bathroom was clean and had a very good shower. There was a very quaint, warm and cosy feel about the place and guests are welcome to sit in the lounge area outside the rooms. Breakfast was very well laid out every morning and included plenty to choose from. Overall, I loved the place and hope to be back some time soon.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
8 Thank SonaG
London
Reviewed December 10, 2010

I really enjoyed staying in this hotel. Sparkling clean room at the back of the hotel, which I specifically requested as I wanted a quiet room. Fantastic location, nice breakfast and comfortable beds -- what more can you ask for? It's not a luxury hotel, but it was very very nice. I have been coming to Baden Baden for 5 years, and now this is one of my favourites. I asked for a quiter room in the back, and it was fine, but if you had to keep the window open, you would hear the heating. Apart from that, everything was great.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Anonymous27
UK
Reviewed August 6, 2010

We were lucky to find somewhere, well located and good value late on a wet afternoon. The tourist information bureau found this place for us. It was generally clean but unfortunately was let down by a dirty bathroom floor in one of the two rooms we had. It is quaint and in great location for Baden Baden centre only a short walk to spa. Parking was a problem as we had a campervan that wouldn't fit in height restricted car parks.

• Stayed December 2010