“Great stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 22 Baden-Baden B&B and Inns
New Plymouth
“Great stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We recently had a lovely stay at the Rathausglockel. Our room on the top floor overlooked the city and was spacious and clean. We had dinner one night in the restaurant and were absolutely amazed at one of the ingredients in our fish/seafood dinner. Our seafood (which was excellent) was served on a bed of potatoes the likes of which we have never tasted before. The waitress explained that certain dishes require certain types of potatoes and how important it is to get the right potato. So important that the restaurant contracts with a particular farmer nearby for that particular potato. It is that kind of attention to detail that is so missing in American cooking. We are from Idaho (you know - the potato state) and can't get potatoes this good! Ok, back to the review - the staff was really nice and helpful. Even though we were the only guests there one night they still served us a very nice breakfast buffet in the morning and this was a typical German breakfast buffet. The 2 thermal spas we went to Baden Baden to experience are just outside the front door so you can soak for hours and then return easily to your room for a nap. Can't say enough good about this place except stay there!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank allingoodtime
Zoia A, Inhaber at Rathausglockel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Guest "allingoodtime",

thank you so much for your kind words. Our restaurant reopened under new management in March 2013 and we are very pleased you liked the food and the service. We do hope to welcome you once again as our guest.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

The hotel looks just like the pictures we saw of it prior to making our booking - quaint as is the indoors due to it having to be maintained as is being a historical building. Consequently no lift and narrow spiralling staircase. Staff very helpful assisting with carrying bags to our room. Centrally located so within walking distance of all interesting sites.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AndyA43
Zoia A, Inhaber at Rathausglockel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Guest "AndyA43",

we are happy to hear that you liked your stay and the location of the hotel. We will be happy to welcome you once again at Rathausglöckel in the future.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed here for three nights as part of a little tour around Germany. This hotel was really nice, a quaint old place that is kept really well. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, even offering to help carry our cases up the stairs as there is no lift. We were in room 6 right at the top. I was a good sized room with a fairly big bathroom. It was all very nicely decorated in a local style. The only downside I would say was that the mattress on the bed was not very good, and by the thrid night was getting a bit uncomfortable.

The location is excellent, it's on the same street as the spas, and up some hefty steps from the town (though there is a step free alternative to the town centre). It was also a good starting point for a walk up past the neue schloss to the old schloss.

The food in the restaurant was really good. Apparently it only opened a few weeks ago under new management, so the service was a bit hit and miss, but the quality of the food more than made up for this.

However I will definitely return to Baden Baden and to the RathausGlockel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Seestee
Zoia A, Inhaber at Rathausglockel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Guest "Seestee",

Thank you for your kind words. We are so happy you liked your stay. It’s always encouraging when guests acknowledge the good work of our team. I am very sorry about the matresses, I have replaced them with new ones, right away! The restaurant is working really hard to improve the service and I am sure that you will love your next stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Booked by reading previous reviews and not disappointed. This is a unique building a short stride up a cobbled street. A great location, particularly if you want to use the Friedsrichbad thermal baths which I can definitely recommend.

Friendly and helpful staff willing to carry your bags up the stairs. Rooms are very comfortable and very quiet.

Would have been helpful to have a safe in the room. But staff were willing to put small items in their safe.

Room Tip: Only saw the one so can't help there but room 4 was at the back with view over the roof tops.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Zoia A, Inhaber at Rathausglockel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Guest "Briefencounter"

Thank you very much for the positive comments. It’s very encouraging when guests acknowledge the good work of our team. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best Regards
Zoia Asel
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

We booked this hotel last minute as a base to check out the area before making the decision to move there and are really glad we did. We took our two young children with us and booked a suite. It was really big and the children had their own room. There were so many windows in the room which made it really light and gave wonderful views of the pretty streets of Baden Baden. Unfortunately we didn't book a table at the restaurant in advance (which was a bit silly of us really, considering we were in the heart of town on a Saturday night during peak Christmas market season!) but the lovely lady at reception did everything she could to try and squeeze us in.

Nice little touches in the room like sweets on the pillow (which went down a treat with my two) and nice and quiet at night, all in all, a lovely trip. The staff in the restaurant were lovely too when we had breakfast.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Gimboid
Zoia A, Inhaber at Rathausglockel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Guest "Gimboid", thank you very much for your kind comments. We really appreciate you choosing our hotel especially when you have many choices when selecting accommodations in Baden-Baden. We are happy to hear that the whole family felt comfortable while staying with us. We are very sorry that you could not get a table without prior reservation, but our restaurant is very busy during the holiday season. We hope that you visit us again and we would reserve a table for you prior to your arrival.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

I had become sick while on my trip and emailed ahead to see if they could find me a doctor which they gladly did. I was late arriving due to a slow train but they were waiting, quickly checked me in and gave me a map and sent me on my way. I was very appreciative of the extra effort they went to for me. Then on the day I left, I left my Ipad charger behind and they immediately emailed me and asked me if they should send it to my home address which also did without any hesitation.

I stayed at the hotel based on a Rick Steve's recommendation and as usual I was not disappointed. My trip to Baden Baden was a little treat after being on a course with 33 other people in the Black Forest. The hotel was a lovely little oasis just off the main streets of Baden Baden and just up the hill from the Friedrichsbad which was the main purpose of my trip.

Great breakfast in the restaurant connected to the hotel including the best scrambled eggs I've tasted in a long time. I had the restaurant to myself on the Monday morning which meant a more limited breakfast buffet which was fine but the owner of the restaurant generously made me eggs before I headed off to the train station for the next leg of my trip.

Already planning my return for next year so I can indulge in the Xmas market.

Thanks to Zoia and her staff for going out of their way for me. much appreciated.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Zoia A, Inhaber at Rathausglockel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Guest "Mccorca", thank you so much for your detailed review. It goes without saying that me and my employees make "the extra effort", that you are writing about, for every guest. Hotels are not only "bed and breakfast" - they should be your home away from home. I hope to see you again soon.
Yea, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

We selected the Rathausgloeckel because of its excellent reviews on Trip Advisor, and were not disappointed. All the staff we had contact with were most helpful and friendly, we loved the atmsophere of our room, good space and a modern clean bathroom. All you want and more for breakfast. The staff provided us with a discount admission ticket for the Friedrichsbad baths which are just down the street, and they are a must-visit if you are staying there.
Baden Baden is a lovely, clean town, easy to get around and some good walks (the Rathausglockel staff gave us some good suggestions). We hope to return to both Baden Baden and the Rathausgloeckel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Zoia A, Inhaber at Rathausglockel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear guest "arcticharry",

Thank you so much for your kind words and detailed description of your stay. We greatly appreciate that you took the time to comment, as our guests’ satisfaction is our main priority.
We hope to welcome you in our hotel again soon.