“Prepare to relax!!!!!”
Review of Caracalla Therme

Caracalla Therme
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: With more than 4,000 m² the Caracalla Spa offers lots of scope for you to unwind in relaxation and bathe at leisure in the hot thermal water. The bathing area with its large variety of bathing pools and the Roman saunascape with an outdoor area in the picturesque castle gardens invite you to relax and enjoy.
UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Prepare to relax!!!!!”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Spent two blissful afternoons here on a weekend trip and didn't want to leave. Came on a wintry weekend and loved being able to relax in the outdoor pool with snow falling around us. The pools are all of varying temperature and its lovely to be able to flit between them. Make a visit a must on a trip to Baden Baden!

Visited January 2013

14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“wish I'd stayed longer”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Very popular, pretty busy but organized. Friendly staff and different options for taking care of your health.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank sissoca
Mbelford
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great experience”
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

There is really something for everyone here. The downstairs baths are great (although a bit crowded at times). The upstairs series of saunas are amazing. So relaxing. The showers and plunge pools are lovely after sweating in a sauna. Great experience overall. Oh they looked up my locker when my overheated brain spaced on the number. And they didn't treat me like an idiot although i certainly deserved to be.

4 Thank Mbelford
New York City, New York
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Undid 3 Months of 16-Hour Workdays”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I'd been wanting to go to Baden-Baden for over a decade and finally had the opportunity when my cheapie-cheap RyanAir flight from Sardinia landed in Baden-Baden/Karlsruhe. I booked a room at the Hotel Merkur (fantastic experience - see other review), then woke up early and headed over to the Caracalla for 3 1/2 hours of "Thank you, Romans, for bringing the baths to Germany and thank you, Germany, for making them perfect."

The day was schmutzy and cold. I bundled up, already wearing my swimsuit, and walked the easy five or ten minutes from the hotel to the Caracalla.

Once inside, I walked in the door, went up the stairs and checked in... and immediately booked a massage with Sascha (fantastic). I had five minutes to change and get to the spa, which turned out to be just the right amount of time. (Whew)

I'd been working 16-hour days in Hamburg on a new musical for the past 2 1/2 months and had been dragging a very heavy suitcase around Europe for the past two weeks... I had a cold and was completely exhausted. The massage calmed me down and finally untied the muscles in my neck and back, allowing me to walk out into the larger spa area completely relaxed.

There was a water aerobic and therapy class in the main indoor pool, so I headed to the aroma sauna room, which was filled with amazing lemon-grass-smelling hot billowing steam. By watching the other people, I learned to take a mat from a cold water bath to sit on, then to spray my seat off with a hose before leaving. It felt fantastic.

Next, I spent 20 minutes in the sea brine room, breathing deeply. The sign said that 10-20 minutes of breathing the steamy brine would help heal mucous membranes. Sitting there, I felt my itchy tickles disappearing and my nose and chest clearing. It was really nice. You have to push a little button on the wall to release more brine and there were people in there who were pretty serious about pushing it over and over. Brine-city.

Next, I went back and forth between the icy cold and hot pools indoors. I stood under the waterfall, which was like a lomi-lomi massage. And finally, I braved the outdoor pools.

The first pool I went in (to the right) had its own current. As I entered, the water swept me around a curve as jets shot out the side and massaged my lower back. I was cracking up laughing, but it was really great! I went around about 15 times before going into the warmer pool to the left.

The left-hand pool was great too... huge waterfall. More free massages!

After that, I still had about 30 minutes before I had to check out (they keep track of you with a little bracelet - very futuristic), so I went to get a fresh pressed orange/carrot/apple juice, then went back in the ice pool/hot pool, back in the steam sauna, back in the swirly pool...

I realized I had been smiling in this dopey happy relaxed sort of way for the past 3 1/2 hours.

And then I said goodbye to Caracalla. I changed back into my clothes, then used the (provided) hair driers, paid for my juice, and headed outside.

It was the most affordable spa experience I have ever had. And I can't wait to go back someday!!!

But I had no idea there was a second floor with a Finnish Sauna. Oh well, next time!

Visited November 2012
5 Thank AnitaPeron
Adelaide, Australia
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“The drawcard”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We travelled to Baden-Baden just to expereince Caracalla Therme and we were not at all disappointed. There is a massive carpark directly beneath Caracalla, so you will not have to lug your gear too far and you will not have to bring towels, as they are available to hire while there.
Caracalla is the clothed section of the Therme. There is a Roman style baths, which is nudist, but is unmistakably upstairs. I believe the baths are beautiful and this is an experience in itself, but we did not venture up there.
As a family, Caracalla was the prefect indulgence, we had forgone other opportunities to swim throughout our trip, to ensure this was special and it was.
You have the opportunity to change into your bathing suit prior to getting into the bath rooms. You can leave your items in a secure locker for the duration of your stay.
The pool and bath rooms offer a variety of experiences; there is a large pool inside for playing around, then other pools of varying temperatures. The steaming outdoor pool was heavenly at 34 degrees. It was raining and cold on the day we went, so the steam was very enticing. There were strong jets to soothe away the sore spots and the warmth of the water itself was just divine. Inside there was a hot and cold side by side section; the hot pool was 38 and the cold 18, go from one to the other - very invigorating!
On the fringe of the caracalla Thermes, you can even hang out in an aromatherapy sauna, which pipes in relaxing music as well, though the canoodling couples were a bit much and as a family we felt we were intruding while in there.
There was another sauna, Brine Infusion which is supposed to be great for sinus sufferers, since this is an issue in our family, we spent some time in there and it felt great, we went back there a second time, but it was too crowded.
There is an cafe that serves healthy food and drinks and sun lounges skirting the perimetre, but keep in mind you can not reserve these lounges by placing your towel on them. If you try they will be placed to the side in a basket.
Caracalla Therme is not a cheap experience, but knowing this in advance, we loved it and felt the benefits, of our three brief hours of bliss, for days.

Visited October 2012