Hotel Der Kleine Prinz
Ranked #14 of 50 Hotels in Baden-Baden
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Stayed here in a group of five guests (five rooms) during the October conference in Baden-Baden. Everything was excellent, with lovely and friendly service. We rented out a meeting room and where pleased to see that all food service provided was above our expectation, thank you to Andreas, Marc and the whole team! See you in half a year:). We booked our five rooms for October again. Excellent place to stay on a business trip or with your loved one, I usually combine both:)

Room Tip: Stayed in a Penthouse suite, very spacious and nice. We also stayed in a suite with a jacuzzi type b...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
DKP-BB, Manager at Hotel Der Kleine Prinz, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Thank you very much for your approval as well as your positive review. We are pleased to hear, that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and we would be glad to welcome you again in Baden-Baden!

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Charming, old fashioned, character, friendly helpful staff, great food, beautiful seating areas, perfect location to conference centre, beautiful spacious rooms. Highly recommend....I will definately be coming back!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your review. We are pleased to hear, that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and we would be glad to welcome you again in Baden-Baden!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Der Kleine Prinz is one of these smaller, charming german hotels that you tend to find in the Baden area. The hotel itself could use some refurbishment (carpets are worn, standard of the interior isn't exactly up to date), although it does hold a certain charm. Walls are decorated with motives from the tale of the little prince, very nice.

What really makes it worth staying at is the service, which probably is the best and most correct I have ever had. The food stands for itself too. Breakfast is excellent and they serve a nice afternoon tea. I also had one dinner at the hotel, which was completely ok, absolutely worth the money. Location is very central in Baden-Baden, only 200 meters from the congress hall. About 15 minutes with taxi (approx 20 euros) to the train station. I recommend this hotel, mostly because you will receive a very high level of service.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
DKP-BB, Manager at Hotel Der Kleine Prinz, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Thank you very much for your positive review and your recommendation. We are pleased to hear, that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and we would be glad to welcome you again in Baden-Baden!

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I stayed for three nights at the Kleine Prinz in conjunction with a conference being held at the nearby Congress Hall. I was moderately comfortable at the hotel but I found it quirky and not really to my taste.

Check-in went smoothly, although I was surprised to be handed an old-fashioned key instead of a modern key-card. (This is quirk #1.) Further, this hotel still uses the system of having guests hand in their keys upon leaving and collecting them again upon returning to the hotel. This system was in common use when I lived in Europe in the 1980s, but (in my experience) most top-quality western European hotels have dropped this approach and have modernized to more secure keying systems. At the Kleine Prinz, I was never asked for any identification when collecting my key (leading me to believe that others could have easily been given my key) and I very much disliked announcing my room number in the lobby when requesting my key if there was anyone else there.

The best part of my stay was the upgrade I was given to a deluxe double on the 4th floor (5th floor according to the American way of counting). Room 43 was generously-sized, with a birds-eye view of the city, and I really appreciated being accommodated in this way.

The door to Room 43 opens onto a private entrance hall with a tiled half-bath just off of this foyer. Once in the main part of the room, there is a sitting area with loveseat-sized sofa and television, a bedroom area, and a desk that is tucked into a "tower" (approximately a 6' by 6' space that juts out at a 45 degree angle). A large bathroom (separate from the half-bath) includes a jetted tub and double-bowl sink. The room's 5 windows make it very bright. Although the roof-line cuts somewhat into the main room and bath, there is still a feeling of spaciousness. The room is decorated with old-fashioned, heavy wooden furniture, exposed wooden beams, and accents featuring flowers, including a wallpaper border of colorful flowers and bathroom tiles with a red flower motif. I found the bed to be moderately comfortable, with nice pillows.

The room was the only aspect of the hotel that was spacious, however. I found the public spaces (in particular, the lobby, breakfast room, and elevator) to be almost claustrophobic. (This is quirk #2.) If you are wheelchair-bound or are using a walker, you will not want to stay in this hotel because there is no way to avoid at least a few stairs. If you are able to get to the base of the elevator after surmounting 4 or 5 steps, a single person in a wheelchair would be a tight fit.

I did enjoy breakfast and partook of afternoon tea one day. I was the only person in the tea room at 4:30 p.m. and helped myself to a raspberry pastry. I had to track down one of the staff members to obtain some actual tea.

The turn-down service comes complete with milk chocolate pieces (yum). I was puzzled by the turn-down staff trying to get into my room once when I was still there, however. One advantage of the system of turning in keys is that the staff should know when the room is occupied based on the presence or absence of the key downstairs.

Upon check-out, I noted someone else's drink bill applied to my room, but they corrected that problem quickly and stored my luggage for me until I could depart later in the day. Throughout my stay, service was consistently polite and deferential.

All in all, I had a hard time deciding whether to give this hotel 3 or 4 stars. A few of its quirks bothered me, making me lean towards 3 stars. Yet I was given probably the best room in the whole place, and there are a number of nice extras such as afternoon tea, eggs cooked-to-order for breakfast, and turn-down service; so that made me eventually rate this hotel with 4 stars.

Room Tip: Room 43 is large and sunny.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your positive review and your recommendation. We are pleased to hear, that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.

Regarding the "old-fashioned" keys - we hold on to that system as we do have more contact with our guests. When leaving the key at the hotel, there is also no risk that the key can be stolen. As we are a quite small hotel our well-trained staff can always remember the guests they checked-in.
As the hotel building is from 1888, we are unfortunately not able to compete to any modern planned and spacious new hotel buildings - therefore we can offer a special atmosphere.

We would be glad to welcome you again in Baden-Baden!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stay of 2 nights en route to Turkey, comfortable, pretty, roomy, great breakfast, great location to walk to all sights. Would definitely stay here again, also have afternoon tea! Baden Baden is a beautiful town. Hotel staff are courteous and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Everything is decorated according to the Little Prince of Saint Exupery. Our suite was spacious and stylish. The staff was friendly. The hotel is perfectly located, just a few minutes walk from both the city center and the promenade alongside the Oos.
Areas of improvement: smell from the kitchen through the ventilation and quite expensive for a 4-star hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carine-laurent

Thank you very much for your review and your time to write on your impressions of you stay. Your information is very important to us as they help us to improve our services.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We booked two rooms for three nights in late July, early August 2012, during my family's heritage visit to the Black Forest. The hotel is charming and in a nice location just a few minutes walk from central Baden Baden. The staff were cordial, professional, and friendly in their own way. No complaints here.

Baden Baden was very nice, a mix of French-German cultures, and has a very laid back vibe (we were expecting affluent snooty and were pleasantly surprised; everyone was very nice). The rooms we received were quite spacious and comfortable, each with a sizable water closet, a sofa, armoire, and end tables. The hotel offers a small lift, but often we took the slightly creaking (charmingly so), winding staircase to enjoy the aesthetic of the the hotel. Cute paintings based on the Little Prince book hang on the walls, which my young daughter enjoyed very much. The included breakfast was perfect, a typical European spread, breads, jams, cold meats, cheeses, cereals, coffee, tea, etc. I believe the also offered eggs cooked to order. Valet parking was at a nearby sister property (a half-block away) which we often just walked to when we needed the vehicle.

We did quite a bit away from Baden Baden, and in retrospect, wish we had stayed a night longer to enjoy more of the city. That said, the hotel is a perfect hopping off point for touring the Black Forest (for us, the Bad Teinach area to be specific). We also enjoyed a day across the border in Strasbourg, France, an easy 45-minute drive each way. I also took my daughter to the Baden Castle ruins while the others shopped, and virtually had the place to ourselves. Amazing views, great ruins to explore, just a 10-minute drive from the hotel! This was memory to last a lifetime and a highlight of the entire trip!

The price is very good for what you get. The location is great, a quiet street mere minutes walking from the restaurants, spas and casino of downtown Baden Baden. If we return, we wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Hotel der Kleine Prinz again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family