“Nice hotel - but Not up to our expectations!”

Brenners Park-Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 50 Hotels in Baden-Baden
Connecticut
“Nice hotel - but Not up to our expectations!”
Reviewed August 14, 2006

We had been told by our European friends that the Brenner's is "THE Celebrity Hotel in Baden Baden", and after seeing their website, we had rather lofty expectations. I won't say that the Brenner's isn't a beautiful hotel, because indeed it is. I won't say that the service was terrible, because it wasn't (although, as discussed below, it wasn't amazing either). At EUR 350 per night (for the least expensive room), it just wasn't as dazzling as I expected. Baden Baden is an expensive resort town, so you pay a premium to stay there, which is understandable. However, I have had larger, better appointed hotel rooms and more attentive service for less money in venues such as New York, Paris, London, Tokyo, and Brussels. Upon our arrival at the hotel, we were kept waiting for 15 minutes for a bellhop to come and retrieve our luggage from the sidewalk outside. OK - perhaps he was busy, but there didn't really seem to be that much activity at the time. And, to be frank, at other luxury hotels we have had people literally running to help us with our luggage immediately upon arrival. We needed to use the business centre which was closed - told them we only planned to be there for 5 minutes to quickly check e-mail, but were told we had to pay for a full hour - EUR 25. Our hotel room didn't have a bathtub - only a shower (nice soaps and shampoos, however). On the brighter side, the concierge was very helpful in making our transportation arrangements to our next destination. We didn't use the spa - might have had we been more impressed with the other accoutrements of the hotel, but decided against it as we thought we might be further disappointed. Not a bad hotel by any means, just not as impressive as we had expected. In the event that we visit Baden Baden again, we will likely stay elsewhere.

• Liked — Location, decor of hotel.
  • Disliked — Not really worth the money.
  • Tips/Secrets — Doesn't live up to the hype.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank BumblesinCT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 13, 2006

My significant other and I stayed at Brenner's for four nights beginning July 3rd. This is a fantastic property, service is impeccable, the rooms are decorated with fine furnishings, and fanstastic bathrooms. We had a Junior Suite overlooking the park and Liechtentaller Allee and were thrilled with the view. While this hotel is quite expensive it is a great value considering the decor, service, and amenities.

1 Thank DanChicago
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Reviewed March 26, 2006

We picked this hotel because it's in the "1000 Things To Do Before You Die" book, and we were not disappointed. It's absolutely the most fantastic hotel we've ever stayed in, and we travel extensively. From the fresh flowers everywhere, to the attentive service, each detail was taken care of. We thoroughly enjoyed the spa; I will recommend to make salon appointments early as we were unable to get a pedicure because all the appointments were booked.
We ate dinner at the Wintergarden restaurant and had a most fabulous meal and exquisite wine. The lobby bar is so posh and we enjoyed an after-dinner drink there.
The marble bathroom is huge, and the bed is extremely comfortable.
We will most certainly stay here again and I hope many more travelers can enjoy this perfect hotel and spa.

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank SpecialK3
rome
Reviewed March 9, 2006

The Brenners is a beatiful place to stay and relax. I stayed there with my mother and sister for 4 nights.
I must say that the hotel is somptuos and the rooms very well decorated with awsome marble bathrooms, you feel like staying in your countryside house rather then in one of those useless hi-tech hotels you find nowdays around the world.Service is top-class and if you can afford it you must dine at the Park restaurant. Do the Friedrichbad and don't do the casino. Avoid the Lowembrau bierhouse and try the Leos bistrot few meters away.
Enjoyed a lot. hope this will help.

• Stayed March 2006
7 Thank ilovebali
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed December 25, 2005

Brenners was a special treat for us on our recent trip to Germany. It is a resort in the grand old fashion one would imagine from the 19th century. Very upper crust, but welcoming at the same time. We particularly enjoyed the breakfast buffet, certainly the best we experienced in Europe. Baden Baden is a quaint spa town, especially nice during the Christmas season, as is all of Germany. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Brenners.

• Stayed December 2005
5 Thank pdx1975
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 1, 2005

We love to stay at Brenners and do so twice a year, at least. These are the most relaxing weekends one can imagine due to the quality of this fabulous place and the exeptional service. It's worth to mention that they have very little changes in the staff, so that the concierge as well as the bar and restaurant team know many of the returning guests by name and preferences - and you will return more than once to this beautiful classicist town in the black forrest! Brenners athmosphere suites to the city: grandeur with a personal touch.
The rooms are tastfully furnished, some are not very spacious, but the marbeled over the top bathrooms can compensate easily.
If you love haute cuisine you will love the Park Restaurant for its style, the perfect service and the most delicious creations of the young cook Andreas Krolik. One should keep his name in mind. I know many three star restaurants, but the Brenners tops many of them.
The spa is famous for the cosmetic and medical treatments, but the small sauna area is below today's standards in those hotels.
However - try the Brenners, you will love it!

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
belgium
Reviewed November 15, 2004

Brenner's is simply the best hotel I have found so far in my many travels.

The hotel is in a quiet spot in the centre of this beautiful spa town, right in the middle of the Lichtentaler Park. You arrive at the canopied entrance and are greeted by two or three doormen. The quality of the welcome is a signal of the rest of the stay at this impressive hotel. I recommend a Deluxe room facing the park. Rooms are very large and elegant, decorated in English country style (but not too chintzy), with every possible comfort. The huge beige marble bathrooms are gorgeous (they remind me of Le Bristol in Paris, under the same ownership).

Having lunch or dinner on the terrace facing the park is a treasured memory. Try the good wines from Baden. Breakfast in Salon Lichtental is a superb buffet in a light and elegant room, and there is one member of staff whose only role seems to be to greet the guests at their table. The main lounge has a very homely feel, and there is also an excellent small bar.

The fitness and spa facilities are among the best I have seen: large fitness room and bar facing the garden, Roman-style pool opening on the garden, where guests can relax in the summer, sauna, steam room and whirlpools in a separate area.

Although the place is grand, the atmosphere is very relaxed. The service is of the highest level but surprisingly informal, and they mix older experienced staff with many young people (I believe they are interns coming from good German hotel schools). The concierges will immediately help you out with any practical question, and there is a lady who specialises in giving advice to the guests on what to do in and around Baden Baden.

I could go on about the special touches of Brenner's, but I will mention one: the hotel's staff left a little snack in the car for the return trip, when they brought the car out of the garage for the last time.

During my last stay, I was recovering from an illness, and I went to visit the hotel's own doctor (they also have a dental clinic). The quality of care and the attention I received was amazing, and this greatly contributed to my recovery.

Although on some (not many) individual items, I have seen better performances than at Brenner's (they should have more non-smoking areas in the restaurants and lounges), the overall balance (atmosphere, decoration, rooms, food, spa and fitness, consistency of service, park, Baden Baden itself) is the best I have found anywhere.

The hotel is expensive by German standards, but it is worth it and I keep going back. Congratulations to F. Marrenbach, the enthusiastic director, and his great staff.

14 Thank topsmed