“Good location, friendly staff”

Le Grand Hotel de la Poste
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Vienne
Oberursel, Hessen, Germany
“Good location, friendly staff”
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

We chose the least expensive room, which was good value for the price. It was small, but clean and quiet. The hotel's location is central, within walking distance of excellent restaurants, historic sites and the fantastic Roman-Gallic Museum just across the river. The staff were very helpful (English speaking) and the breakfast was good quality And plentiful. The potential drawbacks are the steps (there are a few up to Reception, and again up to the elevator) and the lack of a hotel parking lot (you must either park on the street - metered - or in the Garage du Gâre - a ten minute walk from the hotel. We used the latter, and were a bit worried because much of our luggage remained in the vehicle all night. However, the garage is video-surveyed and we had no problems. I would return to the Hotel de la Poste any time... and Vienne is lovely. it is a small city, with terrific boutiques, Patisseries offering goodies and home made ice cream on every corner, and a bustling cultural scene. We ate a fantastic meal at L 'Etable du Boucher, enjoyed a walk up to the old Roman Theatre, and generally enjoyed everything about our stay in Vienne.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel P, Gérant at Le Grand Hotel de la Poste, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much, for sharing your comments, with us on Tripadvisor, Following your recent stay in Vienne.
We offer our sincere apologies, for the lack of a private carpark. However as you mentioned, there is a multi story carpark within a 5 minute walk from the hotel.
Yes there are many stairs. Next year we will be installing a second lift in addition to the original one. This will hopefully be a relief for those that find climbing stairs a challenge.
We are delighted all the same, that you enjoyed our hotel, the location, it's services and the town of Vienne. We hope that we will be able to welcome you back , very soon.

Kindest regards, Mark Skellett, Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I paid 50 Euros which is very cheap! The people at the reception, including the owner were very kind and helpful! Will visit this Hotel next time! This will be next year Easter. The room was clean and the bed confortable!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank carlos1carulla
Hotel P, Gérant at Le Grand Hotel de la Poste, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review. We try our very best to see, that our guests have a confortable, and enjoyable stay with us. We are constantly improving our facilities, with more rénovations due in the new year. We look forward to seeing you, the next time your in Vienne. Kind regards, Mark Skellett.
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed one night at this hotel early June 2013. I shared a bedroom with two separate beds with a good friend of mine. To be perfectly fair, everything was reasonable given the low price/night. Now, I had the good idea to be late the next day when checking out. Specifically, I was still in the room at 12:25 while check out was at 12:00pm. A staff member stopped by and very politely asked me in French -with a nice English accent- to leave as soon as possible. It took me another 10 min to eventually check out downstairs.

This is when I met the owner. He had shut down the reception desk and was mad angry. How was I supposed to know he was leaving? I don't know. He asked me if my credit card on file was the correct one to be charged if needed. In a nutshell, he wanted to charge me for an additional night. I had no problem compensating him for the extra time though not for a full additional night. To which he replied he was "the one in charge here" so it was up to him to decide and proceeded with leaving the premises while completely ignoring me.

Again, one is not supposed to check out late as I did and in my hurry, I also forgot to leave a tip in the room. I perfectly understand the owner is entitled to ask for compensation due to a late check out. What is unacceptable -and reflects a total lack of business skills- is the way he treats a customer in such a situation. In the end, I was not charged but I will certainly never go back to this hotel nor will I recommend it. There are too many nice owners who treat people better to waste time with this one.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank NumaNumaNuma
Hotel P, Gérant at Le Grand Hotel de la Poste, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Sir,
I apologise for not replying sooner. First of all i'm the English Manager. These things happen when one has a rather late night out and over sleeps the following day.
In general like you stated check out is at a certain time. Some hôtels check out is 11.00 ours is 12.00 midday. It can be quite annoying, to have had only a couple of hours sleep, to be woken up by somebody, that gives you very little time to get ready. You were very honest in saying that
you took sometime in this, and we appreaciate this. Although there are other guests that don't simply understand that hôtels need to clean their rooms fairly quickly for the following guests.
Some hôtels have a late checkout Policy, which are quite often chain hôtels. They often charge
for this. We have no policies regarding this, but sometimes to encourage guests to speed up their late departure, several calls are necessary. Please accept our apologies if my collegue was a little angry.
Thank you once again for your review.
Mark Skellett, Grand Hotel de la Poste , Vienne.

Travelers are raving about these Vienne hotels

home
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Pros
Next to the railway station
No traffic during night (double glazing windows)
English mother tongue personnel
Good breakfast (fresh bread, fruit juices by Jean Louis Bissardon, lots of fruit jams)
Fast free wifi internet

Cons
Bath tube for elves (1m x 1m)
Rust on radiator
basic furnitures

My advise: pay only after you visited your room in order to have still a way to escape if you can't afford the gloomy decrepit ambience

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Francesco M
Hotel P, Gérant at Le Grand Hotel de la Poste, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
We welcome, all comments regarding the confort of our guests, in order to improve our services. From the arrival of our guests, to their departure, we make all possible efforts to ensure
a professional service.
We are however a 2 star hotel, and with your extensive travels in luxury resorts, in 3 and 4 star hotels,this must of come as a disappointment to you.
Our rooms have modern, functional and new furnature. Our beds are all double and are very
confortable. Our rooms are very clean.
Comparing our hotel to your previous hotels is difficult. We cannot provide luxury products at
such low prices. Our baths are a standard 2 metres long, and not as you unaccuratly described
as a one square metre, bath tub for Elves !
As for paying, i suggest, visiting a room first. If then your not impressed, your not obliged to take it.
Kind regards, Mark Skellett, Manager.
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2012

This was my second stay at Le Grand Poste. It was so much better than 4 years before. The staff were excellent and very accommodating. Rooms were basic but your not paying top money. Breakfast was excellent and far better than many French hotels I have stayed in.

The hotel is centrally located and parking is available in the street outside. The owner / manager recommended a local restaurant to us."Restique" also centrally located. I must say this was probably The Best French meal I have ever eaten.

Value for money. You wont beat this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank andytsmith
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed May 6, 2012

One -night stay at this cheap 2 Star hotel, we actually expected the worst but were a bit surprised to find a spacious, labyrinth hotel located in the center of the town; one part of which must have been renovated recently while the other part was in waiting. The room itself was small, clean and had sufficient room for our luggage. Breakfast was ok but not worth 8 euros. Service was good and the staff spoke perfect English.

Room Tip: An underground parking garage is located at the train station approx. 300m away from the hotel. Rest...