“Tdc development clinic”

The Development Centre Val d'Isere
Ranked #3 of 26 things to do in Val d'Isere
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Development Centre Val d'Isere more than just a Ski School. Our aim is to help you to Ski Better. The Development Centre is all about helping you really improve your skiing in an enjoyable, relaxed environment. Rather than pre-planned lessons and drills, our approach is based around coaching you on your style as an individual, allowing you to really make a breakthrough in confidence and ability. What can The Development Centre Ski School do for you? Our Ski Lessons will develop Your Skiing further than you can imagine and maximise the enjoyment of your holiday. We have a range of clinics and private development lessons available to suit a range of requirements and budgets.
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I have just spent 3 mornings in a group clinic with Mike Crawford. Having not had a lesson since carvers were invented, Mike was able to explain this method of skiing really clearly so that everyone in our group felt that they really improved by the end of the sessions. Mike also made the lessons enormously enjoyable, definitely enhanced my skiing holiday and I would recommend tdc to anyone, whatever their level.

1  Thank dlbUK

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We booked Kieron for a week for morning lessons. He took all levels of skier from my mother in law who is a novice through to my wife who is an intermediate skier to me and my brother in law who are advanced skiers..

I wanted some help with bump skiing and a mornings Off Piste. He explained technique clearly and without sounding cocky..

I would thoroughly recommend them..

1  Thank charliegadget
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Brilliant ski school, personal service, very pleasant young lady taking bookings, great instructors who are attentive, observant and patient find your weak points and inproving them

4  Thank 790Lin
Reviewed March 10, 2013

This review is actually for the Tigne part of TDC rather than Val but as they didn't have a separate TA entry I thought I'd put it here.

We've just got back from a week in Tigne and I feel a much, much more confident about my skiing. To be honest anyone who, like me, has had a few hit and miss instructors over the seasons should have read enough at that and sign up. Nothing dents your confidence like a mediocre instructor but I'm glad to say James was excellent.

My wife went with the Val branch a few seasons back and recommended TDC to me. Signing up was easy enough and they kept me informed about numbers, there was a bit of confusion about buses from where we were in Tigne Les Breviere's to the meeting point in Le Lac so they helpfully agreed to meet at the top of a lift.

I'd call James a firm but fair type of instructor, if you were doing something wrong he would not be shy about telling you about it or, more likely, get you to explain to him. This teaching method is not to be underestimated, by vocalising yourself the issues in your technique it makes it far easier to address them. It's easy on these kinds of group courses to hide if you're not feeling confident, a bit like sitting at the back of class at school and hoping the teacher wont notice you. James won't let you do this.

That's not to say he's not encouraging, he most definitely is, but once you get past the basics putting on skis and doing your first snowplough you have to take some ownership of your improvement and James is excellent at finding that balance between carrot and stick.

If he can get us two middle aged guys from thoughts of spending the week on blues and the bar on Tuesday to tackling a black for the first time ever on Thursday then he must be doing something right. So definitely firm but fair, think of him as the Supernanny of the slopes.

Thanks James.

4  Thank KernowKid7
Reviewed December 20, 2012

TDC treat everyone as an individual. All the instructors clearly enjoy what they do and want you to enjoy it too. They are as good with nervous nellies as they are with higher end skiiers.

2  Thank Anne001_12