“Excellent food and staff”

Langley Hotel La Foret
Ranked #29 of 39 Hotels in Val d'Isere
Fundalk
“Excellent food and staff”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I just stayed in La Foret for New Years 2013. We had a fantastic stay made by the food and the staff. I was on a lactose free diet and the chief and his team cooked me a georgeous meal every evening without a fuss. Everyone else I spoke to said their food was great, with more available on request. Once a week the hotel organised an on-piste pic-nic up the mountain which was great value for money and very cool when up the slopes. Finally the bar staf were fantastic and fun. The rooms are basic but clean. However the hotel has a very good location close to the lifts and apres ski. I would stay their again !!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Gillingham Kent
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We are a family of four and have just returned from a New Year Stay at La Foret - Val d'Isere.
Hotel is Basic in a good location for both Town Centre, Shops, restaurants, bars and Lifts to Ski area's.
We had a family room with Mezzanine floor. If you have young children, avoid these types of room. Believe me this is an accident waiting to happen. Mezzanine floor is reached by a vertical staircase which you can only walk down backwards otherwise you risk breaking your neck- so dangerous!!! My children are 11 and 12 and they both nearly fell down this. The rooms are small with little storage, so expect to be living out of your suitcase for the week!! There is no room to hang or put anything in. Walls are paper thin and you can hear every word your neighbour is saying, they might as well be in your room. Beds were tiny with scatter cushions for pillows. Bathroom is good and clean.
Breakfast is repetitive and lacks imagination.The same food every day. Deep fried Bacon and Scrambled egg. They ran out of milk one morning and had no intention of getting further supplies till I complained and pointed out that milk was a basic item for breakfast and so the Manager went to get some - unbelievable!! There doesn't seem to be enough tables at breakfast time as they use some for setting the breakfast out on so some days we had to wait and when we eventually got a table we were sitting amongst dirty dishes from previous person as there never seemed to be enough staff manning breakfast. We constantly had to ask them to replenish milk, juice, food in general, which became annoying.
Evening meals were of a very good standard but portions were small and there was no choice of menu. No complimentary wine was served with meal like you get in most other hotels, neither tea or Coffee, these have to be purchased. Afternoon Tea does not exist, as it is not swedish Custom, even though they are in France!! Very disappointing... drinks in Bar were expensive!!!
You did get Tap water with your meal - Whooppee!! I did feel that they were trying to extract money from you at every opportunity. We booked through Crystal ski who advertised in their brochure that at New Year Meals you received Complimentary Wine with your meal and a glass of Bubbly at Midnight - Never received either!!!!!!!!!!
Lounge area is amongst the bar area. They had an open fire but this was rarely on as once the first log had gone out no one could be bothered to put another log on.
Bar service was slow, whenever i asked for Coke they always had to pop off somewhere to get some and you were left waiting for what seemed an eternity.
The Hotel lacked ambience and Evenings were boring, no atmosphere at all.

The staff were all lovely and very helpful trying hard to please and they could not be faulted.

The Hotel offers Ski equipment for Hire which is very expensive. Go to Oxygene in town - two minutes walk down road. They gave us 20% off for being ski Club of Great Britain members too, but if your not members Im sure you can haggle the discount.
You do get your own Locker in the Ski room to store your Ski's, but these are not heated so take your boots to your room.

I paid the most i have ever paid for a Half board Ski holiday at La Foret and i can honestly say it was my worst experience so far. I Have paid so much less before and the experience far better. I would not Stay at a Langley Hotel ever again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Julia T
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Just spent a week over Christmas at La Foret, I have got to say it was a great week, yes the rooms are a little basic and tired but that is the only negatives. The staff mostly young swedes were extremely friendly and attentive, the bar was cosy and comfortable and it was only a short walk to the town centre and lifts. The best thing however, was the food, every day was different we'll presented and tasty definitely recommended.

Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Andrew O
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012

stayed at le foret in febuary 2012 was a bit dubious of what to expect after reading some reviews.After first being greeted by staff on reception we were given the keys to our room, a lift awaited which was nice as on third floor . the room was snugg but as travelling with my son and nephew it was nice that there was a mezzanine floor so i could retreat to and leave them to be teenagers. the room was very clean and a very nice bathroom.The meals were amazing and the manager micheal and his staff could not do enough to help.The room walls are thin and although having a group of middle aged british sex seekers and not skiers next door who obviously had no education or morrels kept us awake for two nights, after a quite word to the manager they were quiet from then on, this is a brilliant place to stay and if you come to val you come to ski and not find fault with hotels but i could not fault this hotel in any way and have already booked again for 2013. five minutes walk to ski lifts and on doorstep for town. perhaps the only fault is they could have built it nearer the lifts but cant have it all.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank chris g
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2012

We travelled on the Ski Train overnight from London arriving at the hotel at about 8.30 am. Even at this time in the morning we were checked in and in our room within 40 minutes. The rooms are adequate, if small and have limited storage, the ski locker room again compact, But for the price, very good value.
The hotel was run by a Scandinavian company, Langley, I believe. The staff were excellent and the catering was 1st class (Egon Ronay would only have positive things to say, I believe thanks go out to Jessica).

For our group this was a low cost trip, the hotel exceed our expectations by some margin.
I would consider booking directly with Langley in the future.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Colin M
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2012

We have stayed in many ski resorts, foret hotel we found were very helpful, the hotel rooms basic but clean, a good base, and although we are use to skiing to the door,it was only 5 mins walk away. The food was absolutely gorgeous, and although looked small to average portions were very filling for all of our party.The continental breakfast was also very good.We hired ski and boots which were of good standard.The resturant staff were very polite ensuring we were happy. There was a funny smell around reception but made no difference to the enjoyment of holiday. A nice touch as we left at 4.55 am in the morning that there was someone on reception, they handed out water and sandwich for your transfer.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Karmsund
Reviewed February 15, 2012

We arrived at the Foret Hotel after a 3 hour transfer from the airport in Grenoble. The transfer itself was quite an experience since the bus driver pushed the bus to (and over) the limits of how fast it is possible to drive on French mountain roads. A little bit scary actually.

We arrived on a Saturday afternoon and we were met by two Danish persons in the reception. I think that maybe the male one was the hotel manager. However, they were both friendly and very service minded and check-in was fast and easy. We were also provided with some basic information which was useful.

I travelled with Langley and had purchased a so-called all inclusive package which means accommodation, breakfast, a 3 course dinner, transfer from/to airport and 6 days skipass for the Espace Killy ski resort (Val D’isere and Tignes).

The hotel facilities:

If you expect a luxury resort you will be deeply disappointed because this is basically a, well, a basic hotel so to speak. No fancy reception, no upgraded rooms with nice furniture or even furniture at all or anything else nice to have stuff. I got a room on the 2nd floor with a small balcony.

The room was actually not that small but the bathroom is probably the smallest one I have ever had. It contained a small shower cabinet, a sink and a toilet. Between those three subject there is hardly space to stand.

There were two separate beds (I paid extra for having this as a single room for myself) in the room, some shelves for putting clothes into, a small desktop and a kind of a stool. Yes, and a 14” old fashioned TV from the 90s or something that I did not even try.

I have seen it mentioned here on Trip Advisor before many times and yes I will have to agree; there is a strange smell in the reception area and in the stairs between the different floors. And yes it reminds you about a certain thing called sewage.

I probably sound very negative here now but things will get better. Simply because these lack of facilities did not overshadow the fact that a lot of other things was very good in this hotel. And when going on these skiing holidays I do not spend much time in my room anyway except for when I sleep.

Wireless wifi is available only in the reception area and in the bar in the first floor. It worked fine for me.
Breakfast & dinner:

Starting with the breakfast it was a basic breakfast with good bread, a variety of ham and jam, serials, juices and milk, some fruit and yoghurts, coffee and boiled eggs. The only problem with the breakfast was that if you arrived a little late you’ll have to wait some, 5, 10 or 15 minutes. Not necessarily because there were no free table but because they had too few cutleries actually. That was a little bit annoying.

Proceeding to the dinner; it was very good each of the evening we were there. Some days it was well beyond our expectations. I shall not go trough the whole menu but I can mentioned some of mine favorites which was; duck breast, roasted tenderloin and steamed cod. Also the starters and the desserts were really good. And it was all served by service minded young Scandinavians.
There is as mentioned also a bar in the hotel. We used to have a couple of after-ski beers there some of the days, and there is a nice atmosphere in the bar and also here the crew behind the desk consists of Scandinavians. And also here the service is of a good quality.

The location of the hotel is also good; just a short 5 minutes’ walk down to the main road in Val D’isere and about 10 miutes walk to the area where gondolas and chair lifts takes you up to places such as Rocher de Bellevarde and Solaise, from where you easily can explore the whole area called Espace Killy.

Val D’isere is a really nice area for skiing and offers pistes for beginners as well as for experts. There is many nice red and black pistes in the area, and for those who prefer off-piste the opportunities are many when there has been a snowfall or two.

My conclusion is that if you preference is good service, a nice atmosphere and good food for a ok charge, well then I would easily recommend this hotel.

But if you are one of those who expect luxury in every detail, large rooms with big flat screens and nice chairs, big bathrooms etc., please book another hotel because this one is basic when it comes to comfort.

One thing I nearly forgot. If you have problems sleeping when it is a little bit noisy please note that the noise isolation between the rooms and between the rooms and the hallway is poor.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends