“A friendly, helpful, well located hotel”
Review of Hotel Christiania

Hotel Christiania
Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in Val d'Isere
Mosman, Australia
“A friendly, helpful, well located hotel”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

So much fun! A quick walk to the slopes and an incredibly friendly and helpful front desk. We had two kids with us and needed to move room - very helpful. Beds are soooo comfortable. We booked Hal board and enjoyed breakfast nd dinner each dy over the week. Be cautios of rooms above the night club. If you want he five star rooms you will need to reserve and pay for them. Pool area and spa are lovely and worth a visit. Kids felt welcome as kids room was calm and well run.

Room Tip: The family room has a raised floor for the kids beds which would not suit under tens due to the stai...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank DebCC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Turkish first
United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2013

This is our second visit to this hotel and we were not dissapointed, unlike the previous persons review!
I can only say postitve things and would reccomend this to anyone.
A perfect place to stay in town, with the food being first class,rooms the same and i have to say very quiet and proberbly the best sleep i have had,

If i had one complaint it would be the skiing and peoples attitude on the slope, having skied the states alot with the children for the past 6 years we must have been spoilt because people are very considerate on the lifts and the slopes and then in Val this year we found alot of arrogant people with no maners,

Room Tip: we stayed in room 222 and 223 which had a private corridor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SimonN88
London
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Had a terrible New Years night in a room above a bar, cigaret smoke was coming through the floor. When complained nothing was done or even acknowledge there was a problem. Had to leave room as coughing to much due to the smoke. Slept in lounge!

Room Tip: Insist on rooms at least on 2nd floor and facing night across the
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Brian C
Stratford-upon-Avon
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I have just returned from a fabulous week staying at the Hotel Christiania. We last went to this resort pre-children some 30 years ago, and since have skied mainly in Austria and Switzerland, because we felt these were more family friendly, and the level of service was better. As we were looking for higher skiing at the end of the season, combined with more challenging skiing, there were fewer resorts to choose from. With some trepidation, we decided to try France again. What an enlightening experience. We could not believe the warm reception we received at the hotel. Nothing was too much trouble. The attention we received in all areas from the concierge, bar staff, reception staff and restaurant staff was exceptional. The rooms were immaculate, and serviced several times a day with clean towels etc. They arranged everything we needed from ski school to lift passes, all with a warm and friendly smile. Chocolates on reception, easter eggs in the room. My son suffered a fracture of his arm whilst snow boarding, and they could not be more helpful. The food was outstanding, with the buffet a meal in itself, and if there was nothing on the menu for the children they were happy to knock up almost anything they wanted. It certainly was Family friendly. It wasn't just the hotel. We found the ski school, and other restaurants very friendly, with the locals happy to knock up a conversation. The new sports centre was outstanding and puts ours in England to shame. Of course any resort can be brought down by unruly people, and was was with interest I read JW's review. I cant see how the hotel could be responsible for what went on in Dick's Tee Bar, or in another restaurant! We were fortunate in being in a room on the other side, and had the window open every night. We were only disturbed one night by drunks, but that can happen in any resort worldwide!. The rooms were hot, but that is also true of most hotels I have stayed in in ski resorts - perhaps they think we Brits are not very hardy? The Hotel has recently been upgraded to 5 stars, and whilst there is no fridge or tea making facilities in the rooms (something we have rarely had in ski resorts-maybe the norm?) felt this was more than made up for in other areas. We have already decided to return next year to the same hotel. What better endorsement than that?

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank David B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2012

This is our 6th year staying with children at the hotel for our ski holiday, so we know the set up well.
Good points:
1) Food and fantastic wine list.
2) Service.
3) Friendly service and staff.
4) Unparalleled views.
5) Very close to ski slopes.
Bad points:
1) Rooms quite small - unless you go for a suite.
2) Proximity to night club: go for a room SE facing over the slopes.
3) Rooms can be hot: no air con that you might expect from a 5* hotel.

Room Tip: Go for a room SE facing over the slopes or village. If you are a family of three/four there are room...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank MKW49
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Hotel Christiania Val D’isere

I’m not usually someone that leaves feedback but I feel compelled to so others might avoid the hellish experience I had.

Firstly when choosing this hotel I decided to do so based on the many 5 star reviews the hotel has achieved. As the saying goes if something is too good to be true – Its often not true and this was the case for me and my family. The reviews do not match the product.

I took my girlfriend and father away on holiday, my father is 70 this year so I wanted to treat him to 10 days skiing in Val D’isere. I paid upfront for all the rooms full board, both superior category B rooms.

Our bedroom was spacious however had very little hanging space, barley enough for my partner for the 10 days so we kept some of our clothing packed in the suitcase and the room was also rather dark. The first night I was really looking forward to a good night’s sleep however this was not going to be the case with Dick’s T-Bar cranking up the music, between the music and the drunk people screaming at the top of their voices we achieved no sleep. My father was on the other side of the hotel, he still said that he was woken on a number of occasions by people screaming between 1am and 3am.

Upon telling the reception staff the next day, the response was to make sure I have the balcony door closed. I had the balcony door open an inch due to the excessive heat of the bedroom. The hotel heating operates on an old system which means one temperature for everyone in the hotel, so if you like your room cool then you have to endure the music and screaming drunk people! The reception staff were very unsympathetic to the problem and just put it down to me keeping balcony door slightly ajar, which due to the sauna like temperature in the room was a necessity.

The next evening we went out for dinner and went to one of the better seafood restaurants in town. I realise this can happen anywhere but I do think as a resort its more likely to happen in Val D’isere than other resorts like Courchevel or Meribel, a group of 20 men turned up and had the table next to us. They were obviously on a stag party, unfortunately they lived up to Brits on tour and were rude and obnoxious. I did notice a few large Hen and Stag parties like this in Val D’Isere which was disappointing, as it felt the resort was becoming a Stag/Hen party destination.

That same night Dick’s TBar continued to be insanely loud, so the next day I told the hotel I would be checking out. The Hotel was completely useless upon this news and basically threatened to keep all the money paid, they then decided as a last resort to offer us an upgraded room. At this point I felt very let down by the hotel and decided to check out, my father was also keen to move on. The hotel charged us for the nights stayed which I was fine with and a further 3,800 Euros for an early check out, which constitutes a further 3 nights. I’m disgraced and disgusted that the hotel could even contemplate of charging for nights not stayed after the service and sheer discomfort they had caused to our holiday.

I’m afraid I can’t recommend this hotel less, if you do decide to stay do check the fine print as the hotel kept quoting this when we decided to leave. They kept making me very aware that I was lucky to be getting any of my 13,000 Euro’s back. Upon checkout I endured further expense for a Heli-taxi to Courchevel as the other 5 Star hotel in Val was fully booked, where we had a lovely time. I would say the Christiania is a 3-4 star hotel no where near a 5 star hotel I feel miss-lead and betrayed. I hope this review serves as a honest and realistic reflection of this hotel and may warn others of its short comings.

Bad points of Hotel:
1. No atmosphere in the bar, they have a piano but never have anyone to come in a play it
2. Unsympathetic receptionists / management to guests problems
3. No thermostat in the rooms / or a fridge (Sauna like conditions)
4. Average SPA, the treatments were good
5. Loud music and screaming drunk people till the early hours
6. Large groups (stag/Hen parties) that don’t respect others

Good Points of Hotel:
1. Good breakfast buffet
2. Very helpful Metre dee and Concierge
3. Good views

I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a 5* experience, or good customer service from the management team.

J

Room Tip: My tip would be NOT to stay in this Hotel, you can get much better rates and facilities in actual 5...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
14 Thank Jonathan W
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 15, 2012

This is our second time here in three years. As the previous reviewer said the staff are friendly, professional and no request is too much for them. The main lounge has been updated recently but has maintained it's charm and warmth. The breakfast is a buffet with a great variety for both the North American and European guest. One recommendation for breakfast would be scrambled eggs to be better cooked and bacon to be crispy. These are small things when presented with the rest of buffet. This is our 6th time to Val and would come back to stay here without hesitation.

Room Tip: The corner rooms 430 and 130 have large balconies and sun until it goes behind mountains.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends