“Musty smell and a shabby environment with no restaurant.”
Review of Hotel du Lac

Hotel du Lac
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Talloires
Hampshire
“Musty smell and a shabby environment with no restaurant.”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

The Hotel Le Lac is tired and smells musty! We booked three nights in June 2012 but when we arrived, we noticed certain shabbiness about the exterior – all shutters closed and it wasn’t a hot day! First impressions and all that! When we entered the reception we noticed a strange musty smell which may have been the drains, dampness or just a lack of cleanliness. It was very unpleasant!
The route to the room through dark corridors was like walking through an unwelcoming space – maybe like a lunatic asylum or care home for older people that is not run professionally. Anyway, it was horrible! The room had a good balcony view but the furnishings, bathroom; bed etc. all needed urgent replacement. The carpet was like a rough rope type material that would have been very uncomfortable in your bare feet.
We complained to reception and said we could not stay in such conditions, particularly the seeming lack of cleanliness indicated by the musty smell. Also, the restaurant was closed which was not obvious from the hotel’s website.
We had stayed at Le Lac in 1994 and it was a good hotel with an excellent restaurant – now it was tired, shabby, uncomfortable and unwelcoming! I don’t think the hotel has been refurbished in all the time since we first stayed there as colour schemes were the same, except now much faded and deteriorated plus those horrible bedroom carpets!
Despite our complaints the hotel refused to refund our one night’s deposit (Euros 124) which did not go down well but we certainly could not stay in such an environment so we left.
Our advice is “Don’t even consider staying at Le Lac and certainly don’t leave a deposit until you’ve seen the place!”

Room Tip: Try Hotel Les Grillons at Angon, just down the road - very clean, completely refurbished and an exce...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank swindphi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I stayed here for two nights on my travels around France. As a lone female I felt incredibly safe and welcome.

The hotel was much nicer than I had anticipated and very close to the beautiful lake. Annecy is just a bus ride, or boat trip on the boat-bus) although both are infrequent and finish relatively early.

The room was small but fine for one person with a very comfortable double bed and lots of storage. The bathroom was clean and had a great shower. The staff were very polite and helpful. I didn't eat at the hotel, choosing to try a lakeside restaurant which was fantastic, and recommended by the hotel and otherwise I bought from the supermarket less than 5 mins away. All in all, a great stay!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Hannah1718
Blackpool
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Spacious tastefully furnished hotel in a lovely lake side position
Satisfactory breakfast but very limited dinner menu(only two choices) with small portions, expensive and not particularly appetising. We found it necessary to purchase food outside the hotel.

Room Tip: if paying extra for a lake view room, make sure its on at least the 2nd floor or your view will be o...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank WilcockBlackpool
Essex, England
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Stayed for 3 nights in a 4th floor room with a balcony and a good view of the lake. The hotel itself is a bit dated, but has clearly been renovated and redecorated quite recently. The rooms are of a good size, well furnished and plenty of storage space. Separate bathroom (with bath) and toilet. The bed was large and comfortable. Decoration good. Small balcony, but large enough for a table and three chairs and with good views across the lake. No tea or coffee making facilities in room. Slimline TV in room.
The Hotel lift is a bit small and could really only take 2 people - however have to say that this was not a problem during our stay.
Staff were pleasant and helpful and all spoke English.
Hotel not actually on lake, but within appx 100mtrs. of nice grassed area next to Lake where you can swim - suprisingly warm ! There is also a nice pool at the Hotel.
Plenty of car parking available at the Hotel during our stay.
We ate in the restaurant for 2 evening meals and were quite impressed with the quality and service.
Talloires is probably one of the nicest places to stay around the Lake and the small town is off the main lakeside road and thus quite quiet.
We paid 130 Euros per night which would appear a bit expensive, but this is a premium price area and seemed to be in line with prices at other hotels in the area.
We enjoyed our stay and would recommend

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Niel01
London
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Talloires is incredibly beautiful but very expensive so although E150 for a basic room seems expensive, you have to put this in context of the exhorbitant prices being charged by LAuberge du Pere Bise, L'Abbaye etc..
The welcome was fine, the staff are very friendly and helpful.
We had a twin with a balcony and a view of the lake and were able to have breakfast on the balcony which was great. The room had been refurbished not too long ago, but the decor was not very inspiring. The bathroom had the cheapest looking tiles, baths, sinks and showers I have ever seen (except in hospitals), there was no shower screen or curtain so masses of room for improvement there. Plenty of cupboard space and the room was blissfully quiet at night.
We had lunch at the hotel. The setting is nice with a shady courtyard by the pool, the food was however quite disappointing: it was my mother's birthday and I had not realised or rather not been told that there was only a fixed menu and no a la carte offerings. I guess this is because most of the guests take on the demi pension option but it would have been nice to have known so we could have gone somewhere else. At 29E it wasnt exhorbitant but not cheap given the simplicity of the offering. The food was OK, wine not cheap but good, and the waitress delightful.
Anone thinking of going to Talloires: you need a car. There are only infrequent buses and boats into Annecy, the countryside is stunning, there are plenty of restaurants around the lake.
So overall not a bad option but wouldnt go out of my way to stay or eat there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony and a view of the lake which has been recently refurbished
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank AnneDAntigny
London
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We had an enjoyable three days stay at this hotel. The hotel is in a great location with superb views of the lake and close to the beach at Talloires. The beach at Talloires is excellent, with a toddlers' swimming pool and a fenced off larger pool for kids in the lake itself. The adults' bathing area is excellent and you can swim out to and dive from a raft moored a little way from the shore. The hotel staff are friendly and helpful - they were happy to provide access to their garage for bike storage. There is very good on-site parking. For road cyclists, the hotel is ideally positioned for training rides up the the Col de Forclaz, from which there are breathtaking views of the lake. Breakfast is good and restaurant is fine. The pool is OK, but the nearby beach is much better. Beach access is free to hotel residents staying four days or more, but only costs around 2 Euros per day in any case (and you can come and go as you please without having to pay for re-entry). All in all, a very good hotel in a great location and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 19, 2011

A very bad experience - Absolutely NO GO recommendation for two reasons:
1) Compliance to food handling standards
2) Terrible customer service – the owner is not a nice man
We stayed at Hotel le lac in July 2011 with my wife and 3-year old son. The first night we ate at the hotel. The chef served my 3-year old son so called “homemade chicken nuggets”. The outside looked cooked but they were raw inside. It was only after my son ate a large piece that I realized that the meat was raw.
I called the waiter who had no idea at all of the severity of the situation. The waiter offered to serve something else to my son. I explained to him that raw chicken was very dangerous due to potential harmful bacteria; the waiter ignored my comment and continued to serve other tables.
I then went to the hotel reception where the owner screamed at me saying that it was ridiculous that I was complaining about raw chicken since his product was of very god quality. The owner and his staff demonstrated no knowledge what so ever of the dangers associated with eating raw chicken and the harmful bacteria that may be contained in it, regardless of the quality of the raw product.
The owner finally agreed to call a doctor who confirmed that the chicken was not cooked and that certain risks were present. He requested the hotel to keep the piece of chicken in a freezer so that a bacteria search could be made in case my son would get sick over the next 3 days.
Luckily, as of today my son has not been sick. We stayed 4 nights at hotel le lac and at no time did the hotel owner or any member of his staff, asked about the health of my son or gave any apology.
The knowledge of food handling of this hotel is very poor but moreover their customer handling and respect of people is not acceptable. The owner is not a nice man. I could not believe that I was being screamed at by the owner of the hotel who served my son raw chicken. The only reason we stayed was because the other hotels were booked out.
A strong no go.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank renaudbo

Travelers are raving about these Talloires hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Talloires
Hotel Abbaye de Talloires
#7 of 10 in Talloires
Le Palace de Menthon
Le Palace de Menthon
#1 of 2 in Menthon-Saint-Bernard

Been to Hotel du Lac? Share your experiences!