“It Could Be Perfect”

Hotel Abbaye de Talloires
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Talloires
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This hotel has so much going for it.....a breath-taking location , with a property full of history and character.

I loved so much. But I cannot write a rave review due to several small issues which , in a way , left me sad. I think a hotel with such incredible potential should take care with small details in dealing with their guests.

What I loved about the hotel:
The air of quiet , elegance and serenity which is present everywhere in the hotel.

The beautiful grounds , which include the outdoor eating patio , the pontoon , the ivy which creeps up the exterior part of the hotel.

The gorgeous "gallery" which has an arched ceiling and lovely artwork.

Our room- while small , it was very artfully decorated , with a pretty desk , very nice linens and a obviously renovated bathroom.

The charming spa area , with a nice jacuzzi ( which sadly wasn´t very hot when we ventured to use it).

The view from our room of Lac Annecy- truly gorgeous and unforgettable.

What I did NOT like about the hotel:
Firsly , when I booked for our 3 day stay , it was clearly stated that we´d pay a 30% deposit and the rest would be paid after our stay. Right after booking , my credit card statement arrived , with a charge for 100% of the stay charged plus and excess charge of 205 Euros over the amount of our stay.

I immediately contacted the hotel - the booking manager insisted that they had only charged the 30% deposit. I wrote back insisting that they had charged 100% plus the overcharge of 205 Euros. I was asked to send my statement which I did. I received an apology and was told I´d paid in full and would have the 205 Euros credit. Happily , I had the money to pay the far bigger 500 Euros more than I was expecting to pay that month. I asked that it be noted in my file that I had a 205 Euro credit.

upon arrival , there was no acknowledgement whatsoever of what had transpired. I expected that at check-in a verbal apology of a simple "We are sorry about the mix-up" would occur ...nothing.

The next morning , i went to take a shower , and the water was cold. I left it running to see if it would warm up- nothing. I went down to the reception and was attended by a very polite Tiffany. She sent someone to check the shower , and they verified it wasn´t working. Tiffany said the would change us to an equivalant room. We packed up all our things ( clothes were already in the closet etc) and took them to the new room. The room was FAR less nice , with carpet , an older bathroom , and far less elegant decor.

I was tired after all this " dance" and went to take a shower in the new room. To my dismay , the water was not at all hot in the new room.

Put my clothes back on again , down to the reception again...now it has been verified that the whole hotel has no hot water ( maybe should have discovered this before changing our room...) I was told that there was hot water in the spa shower. Took my things there and finally got a shower ( the water system was a different one there). Then my husband took his shower . We asked to go back ot our far nicer original room , pack again. All this takes more than 2 hours of our short vacation time.

Again , no follow up or simple call " Is your water hot now" or even " Is everything okay?". The only acknowlegdement of this inconvienience was from the nice housekeeping staff who asked if things were better in the hall later.

Upon check out , I was presented with a bill for 35 Euros , even though the hotel owed me 35 Euros that I hadn´t used of my credit . I looked in awe at the bill , rather speechless. I think the girl realized that something was very awry and finally figured out they owed me money , not the other way around. They refunded my cc.

Although we stayed 3 days , 2 of which were in the middle of the week when the hotel was calm , never did we receive any real personal warmth . The hotel has around 30 rooms. At the Sofitel in Lyon , a far bigger establishment , we were greeted in a nice manner every time we came in ( we also stayed there 3 days and the hotel was crowded.)

I am a positive person and I could have LOVED this hotel. But the staff needs to realize that hotels are about hospitality and when mistakes occur , a simple , personal "I am sorry" is very welcome.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brazilgirl
dsk53, General Manager at Hotel Abbaye de Talloires, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

Dear Brazilgirl,

thank you for having chosen Abbaye for your stay. We were delighted to have you with us.
We appreciate your compliments very much and are deeply sorry that you had to add the negative impressions.

I have checked the entire exchange of mails between us and I've seen that you have accepted our apologies concerning the inversion of the payments, nevertheless I agree that we made a huge mistake by not acknowledging the whole process at your arrival with a small gesture.

As very often, when something starts wrong, the mistakes are repeated easily: during your stay we had problems with the hot water - as the hot water production was on green we didn't know what is going wrong and only after a long investigation we happily found out that our sophisticated shower in the suite was malfunctioning and was sending constantly the cold water in the whole warm water system.
Tiffany's first wish was to help you out and this is how she sent you in another room without checking the water before as she didn't call you back as you came to the reception before she could do it.
We are extremely sorry for this mess that we did not handle the way we should, it is very stressful for the staff when something is malfunctioning as they would really like to content the clients but in such a situation they can not always do it.

I have just written you a mail to apologize in person.
We would love to be able to welcome you back to make up all these "faux pas" that spoiled your stay in our beautiful property.

With kindest regards

Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

I've visited some great hotels in the French countryside (Bastide de Moustiers and Le Bastide de Capelongue being the very best) so I was dissapointed that the Abbaye de Talloires just didn't realise the extraordinary potential of their hotel. A grand former Abbaye with lovely grounds right on the lake - this place could be incredible. Spending time outside of the hotel is a wonderful experience - although the grounds aren't very carefully maintained the fallen apples and overgrown herb garden feels rustic and pleasant. Swimming off pontoons into the truly stunning alpine lake is incredible and the town is very small but sweet. Inside the hotel is comfortable but just not what it could be. The walls are crowded with brightly coloured and rough textured works by a local painter and their display doesn't consider the building at all - which would be better left traditional and even stark. For me the paintings shouldn't have been there - nor the sculptures of both people and polar bears mating! This place really needs a qualified I interior decorator to thin out the furniture, paint some walls and add some fresh flowers. The service was fine except that you can't order off the pillow menu in the evening (when you decide you want that feather pillow). This second big dissapointment, after the interior decor, is the restaurant kitchen. Im pretty sure my prawns were frozen - they had a mushy texture - but why did I even have prawns on my order of zucchini flowers... My fish main was rubbery and the desserts overcomplicated without having mastered the technique. Let's not talk about the breakfast - just don't pay the 25 euros and get a tartine and coffee at the boulangerie. For a good dinner I wish we'd tried the less grandly historic but more polished hotel in Talloires, Auberge Du Pere Bise - for the same 80 euros per head we could have eaten there and from the look (and taste) of their fantastic hotel shop the food must be wonderful. We stocked up on their pastries, jams and cakes for the plane and as gifts. Next time we'll stay there.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank SophieElizF

Dear Mrs SophieElizF,

so nice to hear that you loved the location. We of course know very much what a potential is hidden behind our walls, but unfortunately the comparison with the two beautiful Bastide you mentioned is not really realistic as the circumstances are very different if you are a national monument or not.
I am sorry that you did not like the exposition in our Grand Gallery. The expositions change every month and of course it is very difficult to please everybody's taste. Nevertheless the Gallery is an ideal place for art expositions and concerts and we will continue to expose the local artists of big value for the pleasure of most of our guests.
I am very surprised that you couldn't have your feather pillow in the evening, please excuse us this awkwardness as our staff should know where to take the pillows if asked for.
And last but not least, the restaurant: we are just as disappointed as you that you didn't like your meal. I would just like to stress that you may not have liked the way your fish or prawns were cooked, but they were fresh as we only use fresh products for our restaurant.
Very often I read the comments concerning the breakfast buffet and its price. 25€ is a lot of money, but I guess you can really go for it: most of the products are home made, the rest is local and/or organic and the choice is big: jam bar, preserves, cheese, hams, freshly made eggs, self made muesli, all kind of grains, several sorts of bread, cakes, fruits, juices, etc. etc.
Tartine (we serve cookies) and a coffee cost in Abbaye 4€, just as comparison to what is comparable.
We were very happy to have you with us and will be very happy if you return to our beautiful region even if you decide to stay with our famous neighbour.
Please receive our best regards from sunny Talloires

D. Kirchner

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Booked for 4 nights at the beginning of August and ended up staying 3 weeks. I love Lake Annecy and the Abbaye is a perfect place to make the most of it. You can combine lounging on the pontoon or in the gardens with plenty of activities on or around the lake, to work up an appetite for dinner. The building and grounds are beautiful. Almost everyone is very friendly, the food is very much improved from when we stayed 4 years ago (better than the over-priced and over-rated Auberge Pere Bise with the Michelin star), so we were happy to take the half board option for the majority of our stay. And Charly the sommelier is fantastic; passionate and knowledgeable without being sniffy like so many of them.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear M P.,

thank you for these friendly words, we were very happy to have had you in Abbaye and we certainly hope to welcome you back whenever you choose to come to this region agian.
Very best regards to your whole family

D. Kirchner

Reviewed September 12, 2012

My family and I stayed in this hotel in September for three nights. We were attending a wedding which was also at the hotel. We booked a room for our family (young kids) and got a double with a sofa bed and an extra single bed. The room was perfectly comfortable and characterful. The hotel itself is a beautiful and historic building. The location is spectacular and the kids enjoyed plenty of swims in the wonderful clear waters of lake Annecy. We ate breakfast every morning which was a pretty good continental spread although perhaps a little pricey for what it was. We ate out at other restaurants in the area so the only other food we experienced was the wedding breakfast which I have to say was outstanding. The service at the wedding was very professional and in the most part very polite. All in all I thought they did a fantastic job for the wedding. We found the hotel staff in general to be very helpful and of a standard you would expect of a high end French hotel. I wouldn't say it was an ideal family hotel and yet the staff did accomodate us very well. Some of the other wedding guests did have issues with having to change room during the duration of their stay but not so for us. Overall I would recommend this hotel above all for the beautiful location.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We had a wonderful stay at the Abbaye. I can't give it 5 stars as the rooms are pretty basic and the decor of the bathrooms is quite dated but it is a converted monastry - so you stay there more for the interesting history of the building. Our bed was very comfortable and we had a small balcony with wonderful views across the lake.

The bar and restaurant had a wonderful outside area looking across the lake.

I would most definitely recommend the hotel and would go back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
dsk53, Manager at Hotel Abbaye de Talloires, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Dear Keen_Bean_Tr,

thank you for your nice words.
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Best regards from Talloires

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Not having researched this hotel before arriving on a recommendation, I was very happy to be greeted by very nice reception staff and helpful gentlemen to park the car and take the luggage. The building is dated in a traditional style but has just the right amount of modern touches to be acceptable to the well travelled. The rooms vary from a basic standard to quite nice and cute lake side superior and on to junior suites. We stayed in a Superior lake side room with a truly magnificent view of the lake. The room was clean, bathroom modernised and clean, TV, safe and a fan. ( no aircon due to age of the establishment)
We had a table for six booked for dinner by the lake side restaurant and the food was really delightful with a good choice of wines and very pleasent service. There was a slight issue with service, but once pointed out we were treated incredibly well.

While there we used the hotel boat, which was reasonable and good fun, spent a couple of days by the lake on the decked pontoon, which after surveying the nearby hotels I would say is one of the best lake side swimming and sunbathing options in the area,

I would recommend and return when next driving from London to the South of France.

We also stayed whilst the Fete du Lac was taking place which is a fantastic fireworks display.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
dsk53, General Manager at Hotel Abbaye de Talloires, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Dear Boulus,

we are delighted to read your compliments as we understand that you had a nice stay in our beautiful house.
It will always be a pleasure to welcome you back.
Warmest regards from Talloires

Reviewed July 6, 2012

This Hotel is very pleasant to stay in. The building is historic but very well looked after. It is lovely to

The staff are very helpful and I was pleased to find a laptop set up with free Internet access so I could keep up to date with my messages, and thus justifying my decision to leave all my own 'kit' at home. The rooms are not huge but certainly comfortable with excellent facilities. Only one or two channels with English but I don't go on holiday to watch TV so I wasn't worried at all. If you want to eat in the hotel you need to be aware that the restaurant is closed for Monday and Tuesday ever week except for the July / August Peak time. The village is quite small, and very quiet ( out of season anyway) but there are a few other eating place albeit not all to the standard of the Abbaye. The hotel in on the lakeside with a pontoon that allows you to take the sun looking over the lake and only a few steps from the Bar - where you could also get lunch, ice creams, coffee etc. Finally there is a landing a few hundred paces away where you can catch the boats that do a circular trip of the lake and allow you to get off at any village and travel back later. A very relaxing place.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MichCL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Talloires
Le Palace de Menthon
#4 of 47 in Annecy
Splendid Hotel
Splendid Hotel
#3 of 47 in Annecy

Been to Hotel Abbaye de Talloires? Share your experiences!