“Truly an escape to an art world”
Review of Heyri Art Village

Seoul-Gyeonggi Small Group Customizable Full-Day Private Tour
Ranked #8 of 42 things to do in Paju
Type: Other
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Lots of great museums, restaurants and a very interesting old museum to see. Houses in the village are so modern and have their own stores. Souvenir shops and very near Provence and paju outlet stores

3  Thank Denmayer
in 5 reviews
"gates"
"theme"

Reviewed November 8, 2013

While on a short visit to Seoul, went here with my family for a day trip. It was a nice place to walk around and see some eclectic art work and get a light snack and coffee. Don't expect much in the way of high end cuisine and a visit here is really best on a nice weather day.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

CYC ( 2013.11.03 )
There was a village with many museum and experience place. There was a good place for walking a day with no definite idea. Many building had own distinct charaterishtic, and various experience activity could. But this village left a little to be desired, in village too many cars, and bicycle. I think, there would be a good place if without car, bicycle.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I had heard whispers about this place from a couple of friends who were based in art studios up in Heyri and it sounded like a bizarre and interesting place to visit so I was desperate to check it out during my stay in S.Korea. It was early June when we headed there so the weather was just starting to turn toasty, although not uncomfortably hot and there were plenty of places to grab refreshments so we picked a nice day for it! I didn't know a great deal about the place and the info available in English online was somewhat limited but I had a vague idea of what this village was about so it was a kind of turn up and see how it pans out situation.
Getting there was not too tricky although I was glad I had a friend with me who was able to decipher a bit of hangul which was a reassurance when travelling out of town and not being able to speak the lingo! We opted to take the express 2200 bus from Exit 2 of Hapjeong Station~ the bus stop is right at the top of the stairs when you come out and there is both an express and slower service with the difference being 40 mins versus an hour and a half. Bus was rammed full and we found all of the stops to be written in Korean so it was vital to keep an eye out (once you get to Paju with it's small cluster of shops/ cafes etc then keep a lookout for the entrance to Heyri by the roadside a few minutes later and this is where you want to hop off the bus!!) It's an interesting ride up to Paju as you creep closer and closer to the N/S Korean border as there is more military presence and an abundance of barbed wire~ the whole atmosphere of the place shifts as soon as you live the neon jungle of Seoul and find yourself in the countryside and so eerily close to the DMZ so it makes an interesting trip out of town and a chance to see another aspect of Korea.

When we arrived there were no maps available and no English guide so we freestyled it and just took to wandering around. There are a tonne of little galleries, art studios, workshops that you can participate in and endless eateries, cafes and snack stalls. The place has a carnival meets commune type of feel~ it was like no other place I have ever been to in my life. There were conceptual white walled galleries dotted with the sporadic piece of contemporary art sitting next to a sparkling Aladdin's cave full of vintage toys and trashy trinkets so it's really a mixed bag over there! There is a toy museum, Trick Eye gallery, installations around the site...something for everyone! Galleries each come with an individual entrance fee so whilst entry into the actually Heyri complex is free, expect to pay for each gallery or exhibition which tended to be around the 6000 won mark.
There are some really cool cafes in the art village ranging from an awesome book cafe lined floor to ceiling with colourful tomes and a scrumptious pizza joint housed in a snazzy bit of architecture! We opted for some pizza action in 'Cafe Between' which was lovely and came in at around 15- 20,000 won per pizza~ was so happy to find some vegetarian options all this way out in the Korean countryside and they also serve sandwiches, salads etc!!! There are plenty of places to grab coffee and cake so it's worth taking a stroll around and seeing what delightful cafe you can find out your way! We had the best ever strawberry shortcake in the cute Toy Museum cafe!!!! There is a section in the centre that has kiosks selling fast food including hot dogs, BBQ, ice creams and the most glorious patbingsu that I have ever eaten that even came topped with cornflakes!
I just adored this place~ it was weird and wonderful with something strange and unexpected around every corner! Fibreglass cartoon statues, amazing sculptures, contemporary art, candyfloss, surrounded by bright green mountains and beautiful Korean countryside...even a random novelty mushroom perched on top of a building!! So bizarre and magical!!!
Overall it was a really great day out~ Heyri is such an obscure and one of a kind place that will appeal to all from families, to art lovers, tourists, adventurers, foodies and people looking to stray from the usual trail so it makes a really fun trip out of town. I would definitely recommend that you put this place on your list as it was a fantastic experience and and interesting spot to check out!

5  Thank twinklepops
See more reviews
Reviewed September 17, 2013

A friend and I made the way to Paju from Seoul for a weekend gateaway. Seoul's weather in July was terrible - hot and wet! Heyri Art Valley was surprisingly a respite from the heat although it also drizzled several times on the Saturday we visited. It was easy enough getting to Heyri Art Valley from Seoul as it involved a bus ride that takes under 1 hour. We booked an overnight accommodation at Hotel Wiz and got terribly lost trying to find the hotel but that's a separate review.

When we got to Heyri Art Valley around noon, it was rather quiet and pleasantly cool. We enjoyed the walk around the village admiring interesting architecture of the buildings. And when we got tired or wanted to chill, there were numerous cafes to step into. My favourite must be Foresta, a book cafe.

The local crowd with their cars started coming in by mid-afternoon where it got crowded and by evening time, every single parking lot was occupied. Thankfully by then, we were ready to return to our hotel after an early dinner.

1  Thank Inezaa