“Delicious Food, Superb Service”
Review of Chalet St Georges

and 1 more site!
Chalet St Georges
Ranked #27 of 38 Hotels in Megeve
Reviewed March 22, 2012

We were in for dinner three times during our stay in Megeve. The staff were exceptionally charming and helpful and food was delicious. The hotel is a beautiful chalet on a fairly busy cornerat the end of the pedestrian area.
There are two Restaurants - we only visited The Trappeur.
The Hotel itself is warm welcoming and very Alpine.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank velvethaggis

Reviewed March 19, 2012

Just spend a long weekend here. The staff are delightful. The location couldn't be more perfect for a weekend ski break. The breakfasts are very good, plenty of choice and the restaurants are very good, packed at the weekends.

I don't understand the bad reviews on this hotel as I certainly don't have anything negative to say. One person seems to have been compalining about not being able to keep a room beyond check out for a late departure- this is normal. We spend a morning skiing and shower and changing facilities available to us after check out time-perfect for us!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank rowS_11
Reviewed March 4, 2012

We decided one week ago to book a long weekend in Megeve. Luckily we found a room in Chalet St George's. Not cheap but eye for detail and very friendly staff.
Good plan to stay!

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed July 16, 2011

My partner booked this hotel without reading the Tripadvisor reviews and and once I did I nearly cancelled. I am glad I did not. Previous negative reviews are entirely misleading. The chalet is in a perfect location near to the main promenade. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and front desk staff spoke fine English. The size of the room was absolutely normal by European standards, and the private balcony was a treat with good mountain views. The decor is perhaps not to everyone's style, but certainly in keeping with the traditional Swiss style chalets of the region. I would definitely come back in future.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank hko2011
Reviewed May 2, 2011

We stayed at the Chalet St Georges for a week with our young son (aged 5) and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

The hotel is located in the centre of Megeve close to all the resort amenities including ski lift and shops. The rooms are traditional and very comfortable. We had a suite which was ideal for us travelling with a young child. It was beautifully decorated with a open fire and our room overlooked the village.

The hotel has 2 restaurants, one which focuses on fish and seafood and the other which offers more local Savoyade style food. In both cases the food was delicious and catered for young children as well.

The owners and staff were friendly and hospitable and made our stay most memorable.

Room Tip: Pay up for a suite if you can.
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Simon T
Reviewed March 28, 2011

This hotel boasts over its 4 stars. I guess the inspectors' pen slipped when they wanted to check "2"...
Stayed there for a WE two weeks ago. Decoration in the lobby and public areas can be discussed but it is kind of homey and comfortable (assuming you like this faux quaint French Style). In opposite, rooms do not meet any standard that could have been expected. The two I had booked were cupboard size, although priced both EUR 300 per night (not including breakfast). They are cheaply decorated, with what looks like second hand basic furniture. At last, one of them had a tiny balcony to get some fresh air...The other one lacked this nicety and was street level, directly on the sidewalk. Very pleasant....
Breakfast is served in a gloomy overheated basement room, which is totally depressing considering you might expect to enjoy some scenery.
Finally, I had kept one of the two rooms (and, of course paid for that, even if the hotel was clearly not fully booked when we left) to fit our late evening departure. Needless to say they left us with the worst (if this is applicable) of the two AND did not even bother to send over housekeeping, which is totally unacceptable. So you pay full rate to be able to take a shower before leaving and you do not even have a clean towel. Of course, I was fuming and they brought some but we still had unmade beds, etc...

Conclusion: lowest value for money I have had in a long time, totally overpriced. However, the staff, on average, is nice. Partly makes up for management....

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Andyougo
ChaletSaintGeorges, Directeur général at Chalet St Georges, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2011

Dear Sir,
I remember your stay and I do apologize for the mistake regarding your late check-out.
The chambermaid should have clean your room and bathroom before your late departure, and I can only notice the lack of instruction between the reception and the housekeeper about that. Late check-out is very unusual for us, so please be assured this will help us to improve the quality of our service.
Regarding our furniture, the owners have decorated the rooms, the lounges, the restaurants in accordance with the local-style, which is characteristic and, of course, which cannot suit to everyone. Sorry it doesn't please you.
Best regards.
L. GALLI,

Reviewed December 15, 2010

The rooms, food, location and service in this hotel are all either very good or excellent.

I think maybe some other hotel owners in the area have been adding malicious reviews as some of those below are a travesty.

The place is great, maybe not great value, but on the 5 times I stayed I wasn't paying the bill so that didn't bother me.

I've stayed in a variety of rooms, some great others fantastic. Both restaurants are superb, though bar service in the lounge / reception area leaves a little to be desired, and being a French speaker certainly helps, as it does in the majority of Megeve (It's not Val Thorens / aka Blackpool on the slopes).

We were looked after in the resort by Stanford skiing, who provided all the assistance and guiding we needed.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business